Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas in a hotel

(7 Posts)
Skala123 Sun 12-Nov-17 21:44:34

We have recently moved from the uk to America and so this Christmas will be without family around us for the first time. To ensure we didn’t sit at home missing them I have booked us to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in New York. We are in a hotel and I’m worrying about how to make it special for the kids? Has anyone done this and can share any tips on the Santa arrangement (kids are 4 and 7 and firm believers) and how you can make it extra special so we don’t all miss the uk and family. I have plans such as a show and skating and looking at the shop windows etc but it’s the actual logistics of Santa and Christmas Eve traditions that I’m worried about.

whimsical1975 Mon 13-Nov-17 14:38:14

What about going out Christmas eve day to buy a little tree and some special decs that the kids can pick out and then decorating the tree in your hotel room? Add some twinkling fairy lights and it will feel Christmassy no matter where you are.

Perhaps you could hire a family Christmas movie to watch just before bed... don't forget to put out the traditional snack for Santa and his reindeer (you can get the kids to choose something in the shops)

Also, don't forget to ask at the hotel if they have anything Christmassy planned for the kids. Lots of family hotels have something special on like making Gingerbread cookies etc.

It'll be an adventure for all of you x

Skala123 Mon 13-Nov-17 19:25:42

Love the tree idea! And the movie idea is great. Had been thinking I’d need to keep them out on Christmas Eve to make it special but actually a Christmas movie would make it a lot more like our usual routine. Thank you!

Guiltypleasures001 Mon 13-Nov-17 19:27:39

Rent home alone 2 then go see the big tree in the square and go ice skating at the Rockerfeller Centre

mickhucknallspinkpancakes Mon 13-Nov-17 20:48:56

Big room service breakfast? Pancakes etc?

cravingcake Mon 13-Nov-17 21:19:41

You can get felt Christmas trees with stick on decorations from hobbycraft for about £6, they don’t weigh much at all so could easily be taken within luggage (or posted) and hang from a picture frame. One of those could work well to put stockings under.

Definitely don’t forget the usual things left out for Father Christmas (or an American version).

You could do some presents at hotel, and have a picture of other gifts waiting at home for when you get back if logistically you can’t take/hide them all.

But it’s what you make it and it sounds lovely to start a new tradition.

singadream Mon 13-Nov-17 22:42:24

Don’t know about nyc but one year pre kids I drove into central London at 6am and it was deserted. My friend and I got pics of us in front of all the landmarks alone like zombies. It was such fun. We took a thermos. Then drove home to our respective families.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now