Talk

Advanced search

Board games for 11+

(20 Posts)
EustaciaVye Sun 12-Nov-17 13:14:52

I get the family a board game every year. We have quite a few and particularly like Uno, Ticket To Ride, Qwirkle, and some of the old ones like Escape from Atlantis.
Any suggestions?

mumontherun14 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:04:46

Game of Life is good and last year we got Ant & Decs takeaway which was funny with lots of challenges to be done. Mine love Monopoly and Cluedo. There was another thread on here recently on this and I got another few ideas xxx

Hullabaloo40 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:05:35

Ingenious is a good game, that we always bring out at Xmas.

mumontherun14 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:10:05

Pandemic and Labrynth were 2 of the ones I've added to my list this year from the other thread x PS we also had a lot of fun last yr with Speak out - not strictly a board game but good fun if you've got a crowd x

EustaciaVye Tue 14-Nov-17 18:22:04

Thank you. We already have monopoly, game of life, cluedo and pandemic.
I will take a look at labyrinth smile

EustaciaVye Tue 14-Nov-17 18:22:31

Haven't heard of ingenious So will look at that too

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 14-Nov-17 22:51:51

Labyrinth might be a bit basic. Have you tried articulate?

CustardDoughnutsRule Tue 14-Nov-17 23:44:45

Carcassonne, Forbidden Island.

EustaciaVye Fri 17-Nov-17 07:38:24

Labyrinth does look too basic. But Carcassonne and Articulate look perfect

reachforthestarseveryday Fri 17-Nov-17 07:44:38

Logo
Labyrinth still a hit here ( and I love it too - not too basic!)
Taboo
Articulate

Zoesweet Fri 17-Nov-17 07:56:40

Game of life is good! Pandemic is also fun to play with.

Cagliostro Fri 17-Nov-17 08:14:42

Castle Panic and Flashpoint are both excellent cooperative games

Colt express, Settlers of Catan, Parfum, Marrakech, Takenoko, Tokaido and King of Tokyo are all fantastic.

EustaciaVye Fri 17-Nov-17 08:35:15

We have flashpoint, settlers of catan and pandemic. All great
I will check the others. Thank yousmile

TheOnlyPink Fri 17-Nov-17 10:15:03

Machi koro is our favorite! We have piles of games but that's the one we keep pulling out.

pinkingshears Fri 17-Nov-17 12:49:12

Where is the best (cheapest!) place to buy family boardgames from?
I want to get about 4 this year...

Sarahjconnor Fri 17-Nov-17 12:50:22

We like Small World smile

EduCated Fri 17-Nov-17 12:58:30

If you're a board game sort of a family, 7 Wonders is fab.

Sushi Go has a similar style gameplay, although is similar, and has ridiculously graphics.

TheOnlyPink Fri 17-Nov-17 13:04:56

Oooh we love sushi go and seven wonders too! Just gave me an idea to get seven wonders duel for dh for Xmas!

Radom Fri 17-Nov-17 13:11:13

Think words we got it and since then end up taking it to family houses we us as it a fantastic family game xx

ojell Fri 17-Nov-17 13:29:29

All these are good suggestions - think about a theme/look & feel that will suit you as a family. Tastes are very individual - but there are a growing number of board game cafes (London, Sheffield, Oxford, Edinburgh...) where you can try before you buy and see what works. If there's not one near you, there might be a meet-up in a local pub or cafe once a month where people bring and share their own games - I've found some of my favourite family games this way.

I've mentioned this on here before, but I think the reviews on Meeple Like Us are really helpful - they also talk about accessibility, including affordability, gender and the level of cognitive ability and emotional intelligence needed to enjoy the game. I find this more nuanced when choosing a family game than just a simple "age 11+".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now