Talk

Advanced search

Christmas freebies and super bargains for an unbelievably frugal festive season???

(12 Posts)
20ikeameatballs Sat 11-Nov-17 13:03:26

Well this year all we need to do serious belt tightening for one reason or another, so I'm on the hunt for super frugal, freebies and massive bargain hints. DS is almost 4 so thankfully hasn't asked for any big ticket massive pressies. Just looking for ideas to make it special at Christmas without breaking the bank!

So far I've thought of a free Toucan box which at the moment is Christmas themed

Going out and finding some painted stones /painting and hiding our own (really big in our area right now!)

We already do a lot of nature walks etc so some new outdoorsy inspiration would be good - we have NT membership so make full use of that smile

Any top tips and hints?

susurration Sat 11-Nov-17 13:08:13

If you're super quick and sign up to TopCashBack today, they have an excellent deal on Hotel Chocolat at the moment. It basically amounts to a free box of chocolates. Other excellent offers on there at the moment too, such as 17% cashback at The Works etc.

Lots of Christmassy days out at NT properties coming up too.

Bestbees Sat 11-Nov-17 13:12:03

I am making a junk modelling kit for my 4 year olds. Old packaging, sellotape, scissors, tin foil, pack of felt tips. All put in one of those cheap big storage bags. Sports direct ones are only £1.50.

Agree with as many people as possible that you wont do presents, maybe do something together instead (NT if you have membership)

Make your own wrapping paper (brown paper over the table and then let them go wild with paint)

Good luck!

fleshmarketclose Sat 11-Nov-17 13:17:49

Get some pine cones and some holly and make your own table centrepieces with a candle some glue and some glitter. A circle of card with a dollop of polyfiller or similar on top makes keeping stuff in place easy. Could also make some for grandparents and Aunts and Uncles as presents as well.
Make salt dough decorations, paint with poster paints and then once dry paint with a mix of half water and half pva glue to give a shiny finish. Sprinkle glitter then as well.

20ikeameatballs Sat 11-Nov-17 13:31:10

Thank you all - great suggestions so far! A huge sack of junk modelling sounds really fun, and who doesn't love homemade Christmas decorations (finally a use for the mountain of line cones we seem to have accumulated??)

And free box of chocolates won't go amiss - thanks for the tip smile

chanie44 Sat 11-Nov-17 13:41:58

You can buy stuff from China cheaply through amazon, ebay and Ali express. For example finger lights for under £1. They take a month to arrive, so you’ll have or order soon.

I’m making up snowman soup (hot chocolate and marshmallows) and magic reindeer food (porridge oats and edible glitter - I used some coloured sugar) for Xmas eve.

I’m also making my own chocolate selection boxes, by wrapping an old box in wrapping paper and adding lots of chocolates and sweets.

You could make up themed hampers and present them a big exciting gift. For example:
Homemade playdoh in lots of colours, with biscuit cutters and play scissors.
Bathtime hamper with pjs, socks, bubble bath and wash mit.
DVDs in with popcorn and drinks.

Annwithnoe Sat 11-Nov-17 21:31:47

Charity shops are great this time of year as people clear out to make space for the next onslaught of junk Christmas.

Christmas cookies, fudge, rocky road in cellophane bags and pretty ribbon make nice gifts.

One of our traditions is making paper snowflakes to decorate the windows.

Brown paper (Poundland), string/jute/twine and sprigs of greenery and pinecones makes lovely wrapping. Pinterest is great for this.

4 is a lovely age for making homemade cards when they can follow the instructions fairly well. Again there are loads of ideas on Pinterest

If you have a will of steel the bargain thread on this board is brilliant. But be warned you can end up completely broke if you get swept along!!!

Spread the cost by buying a few bits every week between now and Christmas. But don't buy chocolate too soon or if you're like me you'll have to buy it twice cough six times

Put a reminder on your phone to cancel any subscriptions if you're just signing up to take advantage of the initial offer.

rosybell Sat 11-Nov-17 22:12:28

I’ve ordered mine this free Blue Planet poster from the bbc - http://www.open.edu/blue-planet-II/Blue-Planet-II-OpenLearn-Open-University.html

wobblywonderwoman Sat 11-Nov-17 22:30:59

Charity shops all the way !! Loads of hardly opened stuff

20ikeameatballs Sat 11-Nov-17 23:13:40

More brilliant ideas - good point on the charity shops, there is an area near us that has some really good ones where loads of naice stuff gets donated so will make a trip to check them a couple of times before the big day!

I've got a small stockpile of craft stuff, and found a few discount codes for Works, Baker Ross etc so many Christmas crafts are on the way, lots of handmade cards etc smile never made salt dough unbelievably but got some recipes and plans now!

I will definitely not buy chocolate yet though good point gringrin

20ikeameatballs Sat 11-Nov-17 23:16:02

That's a lovely poster rosybell thanks for the tip!

KC225 Sun 12-Nov-17 12:32:36

Make honeycomb as an edible gift. Sugar, golden syrup (or you could make your own via YouTube) and bicarbonate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now