Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone save old GH Christmas cake recipes? I've lost mine!

(6 Posts)
just5morepeas Fri 10-Nov-17 18:51:30

After years of not doing a cake, decided i would this year and I've lost the recipe i always used to use!

It was a Good Housekeeping one i saved from the magazine and I think it was called Mulled Wine Fruit Cake. It was actually mulled port that you soaked the fruit in and it was the best fruit cake I've ever had. sad

I've looked on the website and had a quick Google with no joy, but I thought/hoped there might be someone here who saved it. Long shot i know! But thought it doesn't hurt to ask. It could be from about ten years ago (at a wild guess) so very long shot like i said!

imnottoofussed Fri 10-Nov-17 19:25:11

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/mulled-wine-fruit-and-nut-christmas-cake-make-ahead-fruitcake-193383

What about this one? Has port in it.

just5morepeas Fri 10-Nov-17 19:35:21

That does sound similar, thanks!

LaBelleSausage Fri 10-Nov-17 19:49:04

Is this the one?
Found it after a google

The night before:

500ml full-bodied sweet port
1 mulled wine bag (or make your own)
1 medium orange
1 tsp whole cloves
200 g each sultanas, currants and raisins
250g bag ready to eat prunes, chopped
100g glace cherries, quartered
100g chopped mixed peel
The night before you bake the cake pour the port into a pan and drop in the mulled wine bag, a strip of orange rind (keep the orange for ne next day) and the cloves. Bring to the boil, then take off the head and allow the flavours to infuse for 15 minutes [this is where you lift the lid and take a massive whiff, singe your nostril hairs and keel over!]. Strain this into a bowl and then mix in the dried fruit etc. Cover with cling film and leave over night. [I gave it a stir in the morning as not all of the fruit was covered and then left it till the afternoon to soak a bit more before the next stage].

The day you bake:
200g soft butter
200g dark muscavado sugar
4 eggs beaten
250g plain flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp mixed spice
good pinch ground cloves
thumb sized piece root ginger finely grated

Turn oven to fan 140c/conventional 160c. Grease and line a deep 20cm cake tin (double thickness on sides and bottom). Wrap the outside of the tin with a double layer of baking parchment and tie.
Beat the butter and the sugar until light and creamy, then gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little flour if the mixture starts to curdle [I had to add quite a bit to stop it curdling]. Finely grate the remaining orange rind and fold in with the rest of the ingredients and the soaked fruit. Discard [or drink but i's bloody sweet!] any excess port if your fruit hasn't absorbed it all. Spoon into the tin, smooth the surface with the back of a spoon and make a slight dip in the middle.

Bake the cake for 30 mins, then turn the oven down to fan 130c/conventional 150c and bake for a further 1.5 to 1.75 hours until dark golden brown and a skewer can be inserted into the middle and comes out clean

just5morepeas Fri 10-Nov-17 20:05:35

Oh thanks, that might be it. What's the website? I must have missed that one.

LaBelleSausage Fri 10-Nov-17 20:07:24

Found it on
http://www.babyledweaning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19333

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now