Talk

Advanced search

Sensory toy ideas

(12 Posts)
Trickie03 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:35:15

I’ve signed up to take part in a Santa Appeal, where you get the details of a child to buy a Christmas gift for.
I’ve been asked to buy sensory toys for an eight year old boy. I have no other details apart from this.
Does anyone have any ideas what I could get please? I can think of plenty of sensory toys for younger children but stuck for an eight year old. Any ideas will be really appreciated.
Thanks

EvilCleverDog Fri 10-Nov-17 09:36:38

Camping blanket. I have one for my 4 month old but it’s my older kids favourite toy 😂

EvilCleverDog Fri 10-Nov-17 09:38:19

Less than £2

Rosieproject1 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:46:28

How about some sensory light toys?

www.cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/uv-sensory-light-and-toys-25-c.asp

www.firebox.com/Underwater-Disco-Lightshow/p2031?aff=1108&mkt=en-gb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyoeQ7tuz1wIV6L3tCh1mdgCdEAQYASABEgIxrvD_BwE

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Fri 10-Nov-17 09:51:34

Oh yes, second the camping blanket. I got one for dd’s first Xmas stocking and her older brother loved it. Light projector? I got a mini disco ball type thing from b&m last year for less than £5.

Squishy stress toys? Juggling scarves? Can you do an assortment of different textured things?

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Fri 10-Nov-17 09:54:46

What’s your budget? Could you find a small snow globe?

PodgeBod Fri 10-Nov-17 10:53:34

The entertainer has these textured balls for £8.

http://www.thetoyshop.com/baby-pre-school/activity-toys/Textured-Sensory-Balls/p/531908

gigglingHyena Fri 10-Nov-17 16:57:49

I'd try and avoid anything packaged as a baby toy, some children might not notice but plenty do.

Lots of places do bags of sensory toys, which might give you an idea for a few things to put together.

Favorite sensory toys here (10 year old) are
clever putty
floam
bubble timer (tiger had some similar ones in a couple of weeks ago)
marble fidget

Plus of course the dreaded fidget spinner and fidget cube grin

deckoff Fri 10-Nov-17 17:03:52

My flat is filled with things like...

- LED jellyfish fishtank lamp
- Magnetic sculptures
- Sand timers
- Liquid timers
- Fidget spinner (non-light-up)
- Sensory sand
- Fibre optics

Stores like this one could help https://www.cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/visual-effects-49-c.asp smile

FJCE83 Fri 10-Nov-17 17:22:50

If you do a search in amazon for ‘sensory toys’ you’ll get lots of ideas. I’m doing a sensory Stocking for my boy this year, ideas are...

Fidget spinner
Fidget cube
Liquid timer
Slime/putty pot
Stretchy toys
Tangle toys
Gelli Baff
Water beads
Stress balls (flour filled balloons)
Foam soap

Hope that helps

Brandnewstart Fri 10-Nov-17 23:37:08

I'd say a fidget cube (can get cheap knock off ones). I love messy play but many families don't so I would be wary of buying slime etc.

Ieatmypeaswithhoney Sat 11-Nov-17 08:09:52

Be a bit wary of flour filled balloons - my son chewed his in the car and it burst - flour absolutely everywhere....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now