Talk

Advanced search

How to make a tiny Christmas special

(13 Posts)
Gaudeamus Fri 10-Nov-17 05:24:13

It's just me and my mum this year. Family is overseas and the friends we would normally see on Christmas day have moved away. We aren't Christians. I'm worried it will feel sad and lonely and that we'll struggle to fill up the day, and I want to give my mother a happy holiday - does anyone have ideas about how to have a lovely Christmas with only two people?

Jenijena Fri 10-Nov-17 05:29:11

Can you get to the coast on the morning? Beaches are full of people taking walks and wishing each other Happy Christmas. Take some Buck’s Fizz and warm soup and have your meal in the evening?

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 10-Nov-17 05:34:38

You don’t need to believe to go to church at Xmas. It’s about community spirit so if going could give you pleasure, I wouldn’t rule it out.

Make sure the day feels luxurious so get some treats in.
Do the turkey, trimmings and Christmas pud for 2.
What do you like doing together? Could you get a present for your mum, which you could do on the day whether that be crafting or playing games etc.
Set up some good tv to watch.
Look out some card games and other games. Gambling with pennies is fun.
Get tipsy and dance to some favourite classics.
Make some silly hats and buy party poppers.

ProseccoPoppy Fri 10-Nov-17 05:44:44

Pre DC DH and I had a Christmas just the two of us and it was genuinely lovely. Put the tree up together Christmas Eve with tons of Christmas music (some carols, some cheesy festive pop, all lovely), mulled wine and (bought) canapés.

In the morning we did stockings first thing with a lovely cuppa (because it’s fun and also a nice way to give each other little useful or novelty items), had a relaxed brunch, then out for a lovely long blustery walk with the dog through the woods - surprising numbers of people doing the same too so plenty of people to wish a happy Christmas to and we took a flask of coffee and slices of Christmas cake to have part way round. Came home, cooked a small but yummy Christmas dinner to have early evening (beautiful venison, for two you can get a lovely cut of something really nice rather than boring old turkey), then watched Christmas evening tv, drank bubbly and opened presents, had our dessert (chocolate soufflé bought in from marks - lighter and tastier than Christmas pud) later in the evening. Went to bed about 10 having had a thoroughly lovely and really relaxed festive time.

Good luck op - and honestly I think small can be really special. I have always loved Christmas and although I do enjoy a big family do that Christmas just the two of us was absolutely lovely, and hopefully could all be done with your Mum.

Gaudeamus Sat 11-Nov-17 03:34:18

Thanks all for your generous suggestions, which really sound like wonderful ways to celebrate.

I really like the idea of going to the sea-side Jenijena, we'd both love that and it's been a long time since either of us got away. That could make a lovely change. You're quite right too, Mummyoflittledragon, Christmas will be an opportunity for us to just enjoy each other's company and this year we can absolutely relax and please ourselves. You're very astute to advise presents we can play with immediately! ProseccoPoppy, what a beautiful memory. You show very well how we can use this time to cherish our relationship. Christmas stockings and an early night sound ideal as well - I definitely haven't outgrown either smile

Your ideas are all very appreciated! Thank you!

Cupcakegirl13 Sat 11-Nov-17 03:51:40

I don't understand why you would want to celebrate the birth of Christ if you don't believe in him ??

Rainatnight Sat 11-Nov-17 06:13:18

Not helpful, Cupcake hmm

Dsmummy Sat 11-Nov-17 06:28:21

Cupcake, there’s more accurate history related to Christmas than that but that’s not the point of the post.
Have a lovely Christmas OPgrin

Wishingandwaiting Sat 11-Nov-17 06:38:35

Cupcakegirl13

Life must be a real struggle for you with such a limited capacity to understand things or have empathy for others

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 11-Nov-17 06:42:29

Have a lovely Christmas whatever you decide to do.

cupcake

Get over yourself. Christ wasn’t even born at Christmas. This date was picked to correspond with a Pagan festival. If you truly believe in him, perhaps it would be best not to celebrate Christmas yourself.

sonlypuppyfat Sat 11-Nov-17 06:44:16

I'm a Christian, Sunday school teacher etc. I love anyone celebrating Christmas the more the merrier. You enjoy yourself OP

HRTpatch Sat 11-Nov-17 06:57:32

Well said mummy
cupcake needs to read more.

Gaudeamus Sat 11-Nov-17 08:20:53

Cupcake I don't, but have been told I won't be allowed into work on that day and shall have to make do with family time instead. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: