Talk

Advanced search

Main gifts shared...would this be mad?

(8 Posts)
Isadora2007 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:09:44

Dd8 has recently asked for that bloody extortionate Cozmo robot and has been watching YouTube videos about him. She has been showing ds5 who now loves him too.
Dd had been going to get a Laptop (budget £300) and she knew she wouldn’t get much else at all.

I realised recently that I actually have her a few bits already- a fingerling playset, new leotard, Books etc.

Ds has guitar hero (second hand but looks fab £10) Lego dimensions (bought for £23 when smyths had that offer) and a gaming chair (£75 from Very but I used a £50 off voucher!) as his main gifts.

I also bought an air track gymnastics mat (£150) which is an inflatable mat for gymnastics. Dd is a gymnast but recently Ds just got asked to join the local boys competition squad.

Soooooo. I was thinking of giving the robot and gym mat to them both as joint presents.

Bad idea? Good one? Be honest... I can take it.

1stTimeMama Thu 09-Nov-17 22:46:12

I think good idea!

They both have a few individual gifts, to their own tastes, and it seems they'd get equal enjoyment out of the joint gifts so it sounds a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

bayseyan Thu 09-Nov-17 23:01:57

I think it’s fine but if you’ve told Dd she’s having a laptop then you don’t get her one I think you will need to tell her she won’t be getting her laptop any more before ‘springing’ these joint Main presents on her. She might be disappointed about the laptop if you don’t tell her beforehand.

DramaAlpaca Thu 09-Nov-17 23:05:52

We did this a couple of times with our boys & they were very happy to get a big main present between them.

GreenTulips Thu 09-Nov-17 23:09:16

I hated getting main presents 'between us' as it was always my sisters choice of gift (I didn't want a bloody Nintendo)

As you were

Isadora2007 Fri 10-Nov-17 02:39:12

baysayen yes she knows she wouldn’t get a laptop as she has asked for that robot now. Her choice entirely. I’m not sure if I had best warn her about the joint present and explain she has a surprise as well?

Thanks all.

Bumbumtaloo Fri 10-Nov-17 02:44:02

Last year we got our dd’s a joint trampoline. We wrote them a letter and left it with the other presents explaining that it was for both of them etc. Neither dd was bothered that it was a joint present but they did get their own presents too.

Isadora2007 Fri 10-Nov-17 03:07:26

It’s great to hear others have made it work. I just feel a £200 robot is a big present and I also already bought “too much” for dd if she gets that plus the other gifts.
Ds wont mind either way... but I will speak to dd and see what she says

My older dd just got a new phone so wants to give her old handset to dd8 for Xmas and a £10 Pay as you go SIM... confused whilst it’s lovely of her to do that and not just sell it for money, I’m not sure if I want her to have a phone so young (though I know she would LOVE it- iPhone 6s)....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: