Talk

Advanced search

I can’t do a stocking for the 5yo and not for the baby, can I?!

(42 Posts)
Catabogus Thu 09-Nov-17 22:07:42

I mean, the 5yo would notice and be unimpressed with Father Christmas, I assume. He's very protective of the baby!

It’s just such a pain. The baby doesn’t need anything, and I don’t want to have to fill a stocking with lots of bits of baby-friendly tat when we have a whole house full of toys already from when the 5yo was smaller.

<sigh> I can’t do it, can I? In which case, any suggestions for cheap/consumable/actually useful baby stocking fillers?

PotteringAlong Thu 09-Nov-17 22:09:51

When my middle one was 3 months old at Christmas I just wrapped up stuff we'd already got blush

Anotherdayanotherdollar Thu 09-Nov-17 22:10:43

How old is the baby?
Can you just buy some bits you would probably buy anyway?? Toiletries/ dummies/weaning spoons/highchair toys?

Isadora2007 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:11:01

Get stacking cups and stack them then tape them together and then wrap. Voila! Stocking filled!!!

PotteringAlong Thu 09-Nov-17 22:11:49

And that included getting some of the clothes out of the next size box up and wrapping them. It was all a show for the 2 year old - I didn't throw any money at it smile

Just hide away some baby toys incase your big one recognises them or hunt out stuff you've put away.

LikeTheShoes Thu 09-Nov-17 22:11:49

Nappies, babies love nappies. It's all they ask santa for.

lisbapalea Thu 09-Nov-17 22:12:15

We had this dilemma when dd2 was born on the 17th Dec and obviously way too young to give a shit. But clearly Father Christmas delivers to all children so she had to have a stocking of sorts.

If I remember, we wrapped up a load of baby essentials that we already had - a nappy, a Muslin, a baby fro in the next size up, pot of sudacrem etc, plus a couple of tiny other Christmas things - Christmas baby hat and a decoration for the tree (dd2 was too young to play with it).

Dd1 was so excited with her own loot that I don't think she really payed much attention to dd2's sticking, but it did at least show that Father Christmas did the right thing!!

FusionChefGeoff Thu 09-Nov-17 22:12:25

I wrapped up old stuff too!

PotteringAlong Thu 09-Nov-17 22:12:37

Or fill it with chocolate and wine miniatures. The baby not so interested? You'll need to consume them so they don't go to waste grin

SellFridges Thu 09-Nov-17 22:12:43

Mine have always had socks, vests, pants, biscuits, bath toys in their stockings. On the basis that I don’t know of a child who doesn’t always need more socks!

Catabogus Thu 09-Nov-17 22:12:46

When my middle one was 3 months old at Christmas I just wrapped up stuff we'd already got

This is what I wanted to do! But the 5yo would KNOW. He helped me get the boxes of baby stuff down from the loft. Bugger.

lisbapalea Thu 09-Nov-17 22:12:56

Cross posted with everyone else!

Catabogus Thu 09-Nov-17 22:13:56

And that included getting some of the clothes out of the next size box up

Hmm this might work though...

PotteringAlong Thu 09-Nov-17 22:14:23

I feel that pain. I've got a 9 month old and I have a horrible feeling that now my big one is 5 and not 2 he will know too...

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Thu 09-Nov-17 22:14:38

Im not doing one for the baby. If my 4 year old asks, I'll just tell him Santa doesn't do stockings until you're a bit older and babies don't mind.

Catabogus Thu 09-Nov-17 22:15:18

Nappies, babies love nappies. It's all they ask santa for

Ha ha, I love it! Unfortunately we are using cloth nappies and I saved them from DC1. Otherwise this would have been BRILLIANT.

katplva Thu 09-Nov-17 22:15:58

These are some things I put in our youngest's stocking last year - mainly for the benefit of older siblings. Most of them were things we'd pick up regularly for them to use anyway, or they were things the next size up, so they will get used at some point and not just wasted.

bubbles
a small box of raisins
bath toy
small book
hat
socks
bib
hair band/clips
baby biscuits

Catabogus Thu 09-Nov-17 22:16:49

Baby will be 5mo at Christmas.

Fresh01 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:16:57

We did for the older ones benefit. Bibs, socks, weaning spoons, bath toys, bubble bath, first tooth brush, teething rings (that go in the freezer), those tiny board books that mine seemed to chew in the car seat or pram etc. All taken out of wrappers so they were individually wrapped. Ie. 4 bath ducks in a net bag from supermarket were 4 items in stocking. 2 teething rings in a packet became 2 items. At 5 they won’t notice different numbers of items just that they had something.

Somerville Thu 09-Nov-17 22:17:06

My baby will be 15 weeks at Christmas and will be getting aaaaalllll the things that babies want in his stocking. That being some socks, plastic spoons, plastic bib, sippy cup, first toothbrush and toothpaste, baby wipes and, if I'm feeling particularly brazen, a bottle of Calpol.

Catabogus Thu 09-Nov-17 22:17:44

Weaning foods... I’d have to save them for a few weeks more but this could be a go-er.

Catabogus Thu 09-Nov-17 22:18:37

Calpol... I love it!

Catabogus Thu 09-Nov-17 22:21:45

Some great practical suggestions here - thank you.

AvoidingDM Thu 09-Nov-17 22:25:47

Last year baby's stocking was filled with baby wash, socks, dummies, and a comforter thing.
Under the tree was Sophie geraff, a plate set for later and new baby gym (only because of Argos 3 for 2)

I missed if your baby is here or not but a personalised train or something would be good too. Mine was too close to Christmas for me too do anything like that.

NovemberBlues Thu 09-Nov-17 22:26:24

Brilliant suggestions here, five year old can be told this is what fc gets for the babies!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now