Talk

Advanced search

Christmas literary quotes?

(4 Posts)
OwlKiss Thu 09-Nov-17 19:22:58

I wasn't sure whether to post this under books, but not sure if it is poor etiquette to mention Christmas on other topics.

Anyway, I am planning to make the DC an advent calendar with quotes mentioning Christmas, or Christmassy things, from literature.

I don't mind a few quotes from adult books (definitely will be some from A Christmas Carol), I'd like some from children's books - classics and maybe less well-known; hoping it might inspire the DC to read some of them.

I'm planning to have a little picture on a card, and then the quote underneath, so something easily illustratable would be good.

If anyone has any Christmassy/wintry/otherwise festive quotes that have resonated with them, I'd love if you could share them.
Not too long ideally, maybe a couple of sentences long, something like that.
I thought other people might enjoy reading them on here too. I will post the ones I have found so far too (only just started thinking about it, so not many yet)

singadream Thu 09-Nov-17 19:25:10

Can’t quote directly but will def be good one from the end of The Grinch.

Also the one about a Santa Claus cop in a santa Claus hat from Burglar Bill.

Doseydots Thu 09-Nov-17 19:52:13

Here’s some for you, some maybe cheesy but I like them !

Love is what’s in the room on Christmas morning when all the presents have been unwrapped.

Just because you can’t see it, it doesn’t mean you can’t believe it

It’s not what’s under the tree that matters but who is around it.

Christmas is about doing a little extra something for someone.

Christmas is a precious reminder that we are loved.

Christmas love weighs more than gold.

HTH, they aren’t from literature just from my calendar.

OwlKiss Thu 09-Nov-17 20:19:09

Here is what I have so far. They are a bit longer than I was planning, oh well.

"Hallo! A great deal of steam! The pudding was out of the copper. A smell like a washing-day! That was the cloth. A smell like an eating-house and a pastrycook’s next door to each other, with a laundress’s next door to that! That was the pudding!"

In the fore-court, lit by the dim rays of a horn lantern, some eight or ten little fieldmice stood in a semicircle, red worsted comforters round their throats, their fore-paws thrust deep into their pockets, their feet jigging for warmth. With bright beady eyes they glanced shyly at each other, sniggering a little, sniffing and applying coat- sleeves a good deal. As the door opened, one of the elder ones that carried the lantern was just saying, 'Now then, one, two, three!' and forthwith their shrill little voices uprose on the air, singing one of the old-time carols that their forefathers composed in fields that were fallow and held by frost..."

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: