Talk

Advanced search

Christmas on a budget. Inspiration?

(9 Posts)
Happiness2017 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:59:07

Exactly that.. I have around £400 to spend on a brother, a sister, a 5 year old, mother, father, DP, and 4 adult girls.

For sister and 3 adult girls, I was thinking of making little hampers. Can anyone give me some kind of inspiration for these? Thinking like lip balm, socks, chocolate coins etc. anywhere I can bulk buy these products saving buying as individuals. If I can keep cost £10-15 that would be perfect so £60 maximum for all.

DP thinking the same.. kind of hamper but with one main present (he has everything so thinking maybe experience day), best place to get one?

For my brother I'd like to do the same kind of thing, hamper or something but for couples as he also has a girlfriend.

And lastly..... MIL blush not all that close, not sure what she likes as such. Something generic but not something that's typical Christmas junk.

Child?? I'm stuck what are 5 year old boys into these days?

This is my favourite time of year, love buying presents but I've never been more stuck in my life! Budget feels too tight and everyone seems to have everything. sad

FGSholdthedoor Thu 09-Nov-17 11:05:29

I don't have ideas for everyone but for a couples present how about a cinema night out?

If there's a Cineworld near your area you can get a gift box that includes 2 X tickets to a film they pick, 2 drinks and some popcorn for £25. It's valid for 6 months and you could always buy maybe a bottle of wine/alcohol of choice and some chocolates and put it all in a hamper?

FGSholdthedoor Thu 09-Nov-17 11:07:31

Oh and if you're looking at General bits for hampers etc I would look at boots 3 for 2 offers on gift sets, you can always split them up.

Zaphodsotherhead Thu 09-Nov-17 11:15:17

Primark have great cosy socks. In fact, great socks all round.

Cindbelly Thu 09-Nov-17 20:45:26

I’d start with your budget. In theory 400 split between 10 people is £40 each.
However, assuming that you want to spend more on DP then the others you can put £100 aside then 300 split between 9 is £33.
If you split it again based on £20 for the 5 year old (assuming he’s a dn not a ds) then 280 between 8 adults is £35 each.... and so on and so on...
That’s where I would start, portioning up the budget by who was my priority.

Hamper things I’ve done in the past that have gone down well have included:

Primary hamper- onsie, slippers, DVD, family bag of Maltese’s and a face mask

Adult crackers- mini bottle of alcohol and a scratch card wrapped to look like a cracker

Mil ideas - scarf, family crest poster, hat and glove set, aloe plant, Thornton’s chocolates, m&s biscuits,

There’s some great threads here about gifts for men and women for inspiration.

One year for DH I paid for us to have a night in a swanky hotel for Xmas. The actual booking was free and I wrapped the booking confirmation in a card. Then paid the balance when we checked out (I made sure we went in Jan after payday if that helps!)

2furbabies Thu 09-Nov-17 20:49:39

You can get some nice bits in the pound world places if you shop around and keep looking.
Also primark is and looking out for sales online and free delivery xx

NeitherNowtNorSummat01 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:04:02

Home bargains is great for hampers. They even sell cheap hampers, and hamper wrap.

1stTimeMama Thu 09-Nov-17 23:01:30

For the girls hampers, you can get all sorts of pamper bits in Poundland etc, someone on the bargain thread mentioned an online £ shop similar and they had Burts Bees lip balms and l'occitane items which would make a fab hamper. Add a nice bar of chocolate, a hot chocolate sachet and a miniature Bailey's and you're set!

For a couple I would either do some nice snacks and sweets with a voucher for a film on Prime or whatever movie viewing thing they have, or the cinema voucher idea above. Or there's been some 25% off discount codes for Buy A Gift lately, and used along with a referral code, you could get a great deal on an outing for them.

MIL maybe some nice treat foods, book token, plant (mine loves orchids!), magazine subscription?

5 yr old, Lego is usually a good bet, or voucher for ToysRUs/Smyths/Entertainer. Do you have any idea what he might be in to?

Happiness2017 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:34:06

I've just had chance to get these replies. Thanks for all of those ideas!
Primark is looking like a winner. I'll go this weekend to get started.
The hotel idea is great!! We don't live together so that would be lovely to get away together.

Thanks everyone. I have found some real good bargains on Superdrug if anyone else is stuck for girls.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: