Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Instax Mini- Question for those whose DC already have one...

(8 Posts)
Purpletoothbrush Thu 09-Nov-17 09:42:33

I am considering getting one of these for my nearly 10 yo DD. She loves taking photos and is pretty good at it (composing shots etc). Normally, she likes to borrow our phones to take the odd picture and then spends time editing the photo. Of course with the phone, or any digital camera for that matter, she has the option to delete photos that have come out wrong or that she doesn't like.

I think she would enjoy the fun aspect Instax camera, and she loves looking through photo albums generally so would be good to have some physical photos she can store but I am a little concerned how she will get on with the fact that she can't delete photos as you go along/once they're taken they're taken etc (at least I think that's the case??) and will end up going through hundreds of shots - which don't seem cheap?

How has this worked with your DC?

snowmanshoes Thu 09-Nov-17 12:00:31

My dd has one and loves it. If you keep an eye out on amazon they often the 20 shot pack at £9.99. No they can't be deleted and yes, they sometimes come out a bit 'iffy' but that adds to it really. You can get lots of accessories and she likes to take pics of her and her friends and puts them on her magnet board or hangs from string/ribbon. She also has used it for the odd photo when on holiday, ie.eiffel tower etc. Its also handy when you need a photo printed quickly! (even though they're small)
If you think your daughter would prefer to be able to edit, then maybe the sprocket photo printer is more suitable? They print the same credit card size, but you are able to edit (I believe) the pictures before printing.

CakeNinja Thu 09-Nov-17 16:17:40

Dd is 12 and got one of these a couple of years ago. She has a digital camera aswell, but loves her instamax. She's careful about not wasting shots, and even though a couple have come out a bit squiffy (user error not the device), it doesn't really matter to her. It's a bit like the old school way of printing photos - you don't see what's come out until they're developed, no striving to retake for the perfect composition etc, just point and shoot. Absolutely brilliant imo.
The photos are tiny though. Sil has a full size Polaroid and the photos seem absolutely massive in comparison!
Snowman, I didn't know about the sprocket, I might have a look at that for her now! Thanks smile

applecrumbleandcream Fri 10-Nov-17 01:57:17

My dd got one last year and has barely used it. We weren't impressed really. The pictures are small but the color on them isn't great imo.

This year she has asked for a digital camera and case. The sprocket does look good, would be interesting to see the quality of the pictures.

Isadora2007 Fri 10-Nov-17 02:41:25

Dd got a cannon selphy photo printer two years ago. It’s fab. It can print from a camera or a phone etc so she just prints photos from her iPhone mainly.

Casablanca78 Fri 10-Nov-17 06:51:42

I think the sprocket looks better for the reason you can edit/filter/add effects on before printing and only print what you choose. I know my DD would get through far too many of the shot packs if she had the Instax!

Casablanca78 Fri 10-Nov-17 06:52:59

I saw a post on a Facebook page recently comparing the instax and sprocket photos and the sprocket quality was very visibly better quality - it is more expensive though

Purpletoothbrush Fri 10-Nov-17 07:12:26

Thank you all- very interesting. I'm erring towards the sprocket now as think she would still enjoy editing the photos before printing. Possibly an instax or similar in a couple of years when she might get to grips better with the fact she would need to limit the shots a lot more. Instax also good for taking out with friends etc which she'll do more of as she gets older I expect. I may also have a look at other photo printers like the Canon- thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now