Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to buy elderly couples?

(7 Posts)
Geegee4 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:28:23

We have two sets of aunts and uncles who we need to buy a gift for. Previously we’ve bought handkerchiefs, candles, frames and the like for each, but this year I’d like to buy one gift per couple?

Any suggestions? We really aren’t close, neither are in good health or active, no alcohol, no gardens, etc etc...

I’ve just had the thought of buying something from Fortnum and Masons or Harrods because we live in London and they live really very far????

AvoidingDM Tue 07-Nov-17 23:31:37

Cinema voucher / theatre ticket an experience rather than stuff.
If you have young kids they'd like to see more off, calender with photos taken over the year.

Alicecooperslovechild Tue 07-Nov-17 23:35:00

Food hampers - themed to what they like.
A nice throw or rug for keeping warm.
If they're relatively mobile, theatre or restaurant vouchers.
Photo books full of their old photos if you're close enough to have copies.

DarthMaiden Tue 07-Nov-17 23:41:50

Hampers are lovely.

Another one is nice picture frames with pictures inside they would like, of friends, family, themselves etc

My elderly great aunt (now deceased but lived until 98) used to love Fortums hampers. She enjoyed the cakes, biscuits, tea etc well beyond Christmas and took great delight in sharing her posh goodies with visitors and her home care team.

She also loved the photos in nice frames I gave of her family so she could add to her sideboard (as she put it) and talk to people about her family.

ReggaetonLente Tue 07-Nov-17 23:43:59

The M&S hampers are also great and very well received in my experience.

Svalberg Tue 07-Nov-17 23:57:15

All my grandma wanted was a tin of Family Circle (? Choice?) biscuits. Didn't like the nice, expensive ones...

rockcakesrock Wed 08-Nov-17 08:17:41

Betty's of Yorkshire do good gifts. Small cakes, gift packs of tea etc. I love Fortnum Christmas Cake and Dundee Cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now