Talk

Advanced search

If you have special Christmas tableware....

(39 Posts)
handsfree Tue 07-Nov-17 13:27:05

Do you use it just for Christmas Day/Boxing Day etc or over the whole Christmas period?

So let christmas dh got me some lovely bits from the Spode Christmas jubilee collection. I loved it so much I went a bit nuts and have managed to amass quite a collection!

Do people tend to use it just on Christmas Day etc or bring it into everyday use over the Christmas period (which would be Dec 1st onwards here) Some if it I would use everyday, mugs etc but it’s not cheap stuff so I’m torn about just starting to use all the plates etc daily (not for the kids, they have melamine bits!!)

I was just wondering what others do!

OwlKiss Tue 07-Nov-17 14:26:28

I have some Christmas plates, they are smallish, more side/dessert plates.
I use them from 1st December if we are eating something Christmassy, like mince pies, slice of Christmas cake etc. They can have a turkey sandwich on them on Boxing Day, but it is pretty much Christmas Food Only. Mainly because they can't go in the dishwasher, so they have to be washed by hand every time, and so need to be Properly Appreciated.
(BTW just googled yours - they are lovely!)

Doilooklikeatourist Tue 07-Nov-17 14:29:15

I use them when the ( grown up ) DC get home for Christmas
They still think it’s funny to use a Christmas glass in the summer
I don’t
Apart from the year I forgot to use them , and they stayed in the cupboard til the next year

KC225 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:29:54

Spode Christmas Tree mugs and two players for biscuits cake. They come out December 1st for one months only. Last year I bought some red and white snowflake side plates from Ikeas Christmas range. They were only cheap and loose so festive.

handsfree Tue 07-Nov-17 14:50:46

They are lovely aren’t they owlkiss. I’ve had to supplement with a lot of stuff from the regular Spode Christmas tree collection as the jubilee range is quite small.

Baring in mind I had no Christmas tableware last year I now have:

Dinner plates
Side plates
Placemats
Wine glasses
Mugs
Cheese knives
Cake slice and forks
Sandwich trays (wtf, I’ve never used a sandwich tray in my life grin)
Salt and pepper pots
Christmas tree dish
Serving utensils
A variety of serving dishes

It would seem a terrible waste to not use it all as much as possible!

Doilooklikeatourist Tue 07-Nov-17 14:59:29

Mines the Spode Christmas Tree 🎄
Just made sure I have enough plates, as the inlaws will be here this year
I bought mine in TK Maxx , ands will check there to add a few more bits this year

Clutterbugsmum Tue 07-Nov-17 15:03:40

I’d use for the whole of the Christmas period.

I have a Christmas tablecloth that I use from the 1st December and cups and glasses.

turkeyboots Tue 07-Nov-17 15:06:15

I have seasonal tableware and tablecloths which come out on the third Sunday of advent. And tend to keep using them til end of Feb!

goose1964 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:33:08

We have glasses and small plates for nuts etc

goose1964 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:35:22

Meant to say that they come out mid December and are put away on 12th night

wobblywonderwoman Tue 07-Nov-17 19:35:38

I treated myself to a gold Mindy Brown set and I love it. I use it at Christmas and Easter and special birthdays. Have tea cups and saucers. Also gave gold cutlery grin

wobblywonderwoman Tue 07-Nov-17 19:37:26

This is mine. It is the Venetian set

MrsExpo Tue 07-Nov-17 19:42:47

Not tableware, but I do get my granny’s canteen of cutlery out at Christmas and only then. It’s not dishwasher proof so that’s one reason why it stays in it’s very fancy mahogany box the rest of the year.

Somerville Tue 07-Nov-17 19:45:35

Well mince pies shouldn't be served on anything but Christmas crockery, OBVIOUSLY. So I get a few serving plates out as soon as I start making mince pies, which is mid November early December.
I don't get the rest out until I decorate the rest of the house, generally second weekend in December.

Seriously though, its pointless to have a set of crockery to only use once a year. It needs to be used for 3 weeks to be worth the cupboard space/hassle.

Trailedanderror Tue 07-Nov-17 19:47:11

I've been looking for Christmas crockery for years and finally got it last year 🙌🏻 Spode Christmas tree.
It's in the attic with the decorations so will come down mid December.

AlrightBabby Tue 07-Nov-17 19:57:59

I have my grans massive collection of old country roses which only comes out at Christmas really. It’s not a Christmas pattern or anything but I always do a gold and red table to match it and it looks really festive. I love it!

suepowell Tue 07-Nov-17 20:10:23

There are some promotions on Next > www.next.co.uk/shop/productaffiliation-tableware-promotion-christmas-0#1_300

I brought Tablecloth and would buy more. Check it out. I hope it would help you in getting Tablewares specifically for Christmas.

handsfree Tue 07-Nov-17 20:29:09

That’s the other issue I have - there’s no way I’m going to able to store it neatly in the kitchen alongside all the stuff we use normally, there’s no way it will all fit together. So it may be a case of having to pack away some of the everyday plates etc to make space. Either that or I’ll find myself repacking it into boxes every night!

ILoveDolly Tue 07-Nov-17 20:33:22

I have some Christmas fabric tablecloths and napkins which I will use in December through to New Year. We were given some goblet wine glasses which are way too fancy for normal use but we always use them at Christmas.

HandbagCrazy Tue 07-Nov-17 20:35:08

I became the proud owner of a few Spode Christmas Tree things last year. I started using them as soon as I got them (beginning of December and Christmas Eve (they were all presents)).
They were packed away NYD when the tree came down, except for a mug that DH randomly washed, dried and placed on the cookery book shelf in the kitchen.
I have on the odd occasion throughout the year had a cup of tea or hot choc in it.
I’m looking forward to getting it all back out at the beginning of December again 🎄

handsfree Tue 07-Nov-17 20:37:57

Oh yes we have the Christmas tree table cloth and napkins too. However, as the tablecloth is mostly white and I have a 6 and a 3 year old that will most definitely only be coming out on Christmas Day! Possibly Christmas Day 2019 grin

handsfree Tue 07-Nov-17 20:38:44

I also have a generic Christmassy oilcloth tablecloth that goes on as soon as the decs go up.

Butteredparsn1ps Tue 07-Nov-17 20:46:54

I have a few things that were gifts or have been inherited, so using them allows me to indulge in a few memories. They have also become part of "our" family traditions now.

So Christmas coasters that were given to me by a friend come out on the 1st December, Mums plates come out for things like mince pies anytime over Christmas and New Year, and my Grandma's Edwardian Turkey Plate has pride of place on the 25th.

Caroian Wed 08-Nov-17 09:37:38

My parents have been collecting the Spode Christmas Tree stuff since the 1980s and have a very sizeable collection! It comes out on December the 1st every year and is used until twelfth night. They have a large glass fronted cupboard in their kitchen which contains Art Deco china for the rest of the year (for display, not use) so it goes in there and the Art Deco stuff is stored away. Means it makes the whole kitchen feel instantly Christmassy. Tablecloths, coasters, Christmas tissues and kitchen roll and Christmas glasses also come out on December the 1st. Actual tree doesn't go up until mid December.

When I was a child my parents always used to joke about how once I was an adult they were going to turn up to my house at Christmas with the entire dinner service packed in straw and then hype up any grandchildren in to over excitement (probably as the latter is what my grandparents did!) Fortunately they've yet to do either of these things!

NovemberBlues Wed 08-Nov-17 09:45:34

SPode xmas tree here as well and some plastic plates and cups for the dc ( they use spode also).

I get out on xmas day but use for the week and over ( until i feel its over). I get out the plastic dc stuff before xmas day. craion I like the sound of using since December or when tree goes up! Then you would really get the use out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now