Talk

Advanced search

Repercussions of elven thoughtlessness...

(19 Posts)
Quagmired Tue 07-Nov-17 11:31:32

Last December, in an attempt to get DS to listen to a chapter book rather than just picture books, the “elves” left the DC a book under the tree (The Christmasaurus) when they came to collect the letters to Santa.

DD has just rediscovered the book and it is currently being read to her as a bedtime story. DC are now musing on what the elves will leave for them this time.

This elf did not think things through —and it didn’t work anyway— and needs to find an equally good Christmas themed book for this year. Help!

(DS is 8, DD 5)

Phosphorus Tue 07-Nov-17 11:41:06

The 'Santa is Coming to x' (wherever you live) books are nice.

Or the Dr Seuss one about the Grinch.

Isadora2007 Tue 07-Nov-17 11:46:30

horrid Henry Christmas cracker?

OwlKiss Tue 07-Nov-17 12:12:07

I have got DD (same age) a book of Christmas short stories by Enid Blyton - I think it is called Christmas Tales.

A boy called Christmas, by Matt Haig, is great, and there are two sequels The Girl Who Saved Christmas, and Father Christmas and Me (or something like that) so that would be the next 3 years sorted grin

If you want a picture book, Christmas in Exeter Street is good, funny for adults too.

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Tue 07-Nov-17 12:18:30

Owlkiss if your DC believes in Father Christmas, do check that Enid Blyton book, as one of them is quite scathing about a child who still believes. I think it was in the book with a red cover (updated one). Just thought I would mention it!

OwlKiss Tue 07-Nov-17 12:31:57

Think mine has a green cover - but thank you! I will check.

73kittycat73 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:52:31

The Dinosaur That Pooped Christmas was well received here last year. fsmile

Quagmired Tue 07-Nov-17 19:58:29

Unfortunately Santa doesn’t come to anywhere near us sad

DC obviously still believe... I’ve not heard of any of these blush Are any of them likely to cast doubt?

SockEatingMonster Tue 07-Nov-17 22:35:10

A Boy Called Christmas is lovely, I'm reading it with my DC (aged 7 and 9, the 7 year old still believes) at the moment. It's about a little boy who grows up to become Father Christmas.

Etymology23 Wed 08-Nov-17 06:44:04

The jolly Christmas postman?

Or Father Christmas by Raymond Briggs or Christmas on Exeter Street.

Etymology23 Wed 08-Nov-17 06:44:55

Repeating a PP with xmas on Exeter street - it's such a lovely lovely book!

Etymology23 Wed 08-Nov-17 06:46:05

(But yes all picture books above, clearly my reading needs work!)

Callmecordelia Wed 08-Nov-17 06:48:16

You didn't say how old they were, but my favourite Christmassy reads with children are the Christmas chapters in the Little House books. They are all lovely.

Quagmired Wed 08-Nov-17 07:25:07

They're 5 & 8, but the eldest has some SN, so more like a 6 year old for books, reading ability etc.

Just saw a book of The Snowman confused Was that really originally a book? I thought it was a silent film, can't imagine it as a story book!

Caulk Wed 08-Nov-17 07:35:26

The book of The Snowman doesn’t have any words.

Bloodybridget Wed 08-Nov-17 08:00:57

Would Mog's Christmas be too young for your 5yo?

Quagmired Wed 08-Nov-17 08:25:22

Ah, ok. No use for trying to persuade DS to read then! We've already got Mog's Christmas, but not seen it for ages.

Crumbs1 Wed 08-Nov-17 08:29:24

Christmas postman is lovely.

Aftershock15 Wed 08-Nov-17 08:54:35

Nickolai of the North is the perfect December story book. 24 chapters and a brilliant Christmasy story. Mine loved it and were read it from quite young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now