Talk

Advanced search

Brown paper for wrapping presents? What colour ribbon?

(11 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:21:31

Money's a bit tight so I want to use up a roll of brown paper I got in wilko.

What colour ribbon is best though? Also what material ie satin or raffia twine type or velvet?.

Thank you.

NoParticularPattern Tue 07-Nov-17 09:29:40

Whatever is cheapest!! I’ve got a tonne of gold wrapping paper to use up (I might slightly have gone overboard buying it for presents for bridesmaids for our wedding!!!) so I’m using white ribbon that I also have left over from our wedding.

In previous years I’ve done brown paper with red/green/silver/gold/pretty much whatever I could find. Sometimes you can find some Christmas ribbons on eBay for not a lot of money! All sorts really! I like using brown paper because it means I can buy the cheap brown luggage tags as gift labels. I like the satin type ribbons, but you can get wired versions that mean you can do a huge impressive bow that doesn’t come undone! I like the idea of raffia but I’m never as impressed with it as I envisaged myself being. Maybe I’m just not raffia material!

Viewofhedges Tue 07-Nov-17 09:43:42

Red looks good with brown, and red and green will look Christmassy.

Dh and I don’t like the waste of wrapping paper and while we use it for relatives who might think it strange if we didn’t, we use other things for us. Newspaper looks great with red ribbons, and last year I used an out of date map which was gorgeous! 😃 not sure what this year will bring but maybe some odd work recycling (it’s becoming an amusing challenge / tradition).

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-Nov-17 09:55:16

I'd go for really bright jewel colours personally, OP. Purple, deep red and turquoise and use a couple of colours on each one. And maybe those plain brown luggage tags for gift tags. You can buy hundreds of them in Smith's for next to nothing. But any colour ribbon would look good. Brown paper sounds really lovely and old-fashioned. Might do the same myself.

spiney Tue 07-Nov-17 09:58:04

Love brown paper!

Love it with red berries ( Hobby Craft )

Love it with neon.

BettysCandle Tue 07-Nov-17 09:58:54

I always do pressies in brown paper cos it's recyclable smile any ribbon works, any colour! I like red and green.

Troubleinstore Tue 07-Nov-17 19:22:29

I do brown wrapping paper with butchers string in green and red and add bells to the bow. Also you can buy just one roll of coloured papervand add an accent strip round the middle. .. or use a stamp to add on holly etc...all lovely x

imsorryiasked Tue 07-Nov-17 19:25:00

If you need to buy ribbon/string have a look on Ali express.

niknac1 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:28:19

I got some of the curling ribbon, and bos very inexpensive from Poundland, they had the tags in the brown paper with red Santa’s ets on I’d have a look in there they were packs of curling ribbons and packs of tags.

Getoffthetableplease Tue 07-Nov-17 19:35:48

Butchers twine looks great with brown paper for wrapping and is so so cheap smile

HeyPresto2016 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:20:25

Butchers twine too here! Always looks lovely and comes in big rolls x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now