Talk

Advanced search

First Xmas as a single mum. How to make it special?

(9 Posts)
Penguin82 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:39:51

I ended my relationship earlier this year (my choice) and am doing well making a lovely life for me and dd. I have a good job,own home, not much family but some lovely friends. Generally all is good.
But - I know it'll feel weird being single at Xmas. Will see my friends a bit but they will also have their own families to look after. Dd likely to spend part of day with ex dp and wicked stepmother (he remarried already).
Any single parents got any tips on how to make things special and not feel like 'less' of a Xmas because it's a bit quieter?

Ricekrispie22 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:12:13

When I was single I volunteered at soup kitchen for a couple of hours on Christmas Day. We were really busy and everyone else was so cheerful. There was festive spirit by the bucket load. I didn't feel at all lonely.

Penguin82 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:15:30

Nothing like that to do where I live. I expect friends will visit on the day and I'll Skype family overseas so not sure why I'm moaning really. I suppose I'm usually so busy cooking big meals and making sure others happy that it'll be weird to have a quieter day. And although I'm happy to be single it can often feel a bit rubish on a day like Christmas

Bloodybridget Mon 06-Nov-17 23:46:40

Could you go out for a walk, somewhere that will feel festive - lights, a tree in your local town centre? I can see how it will feel odd for you, especially when you are on your own. I hope you and your DD have a lovely day and a great year in 2018.

Erica891 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:10:14

Have time for yourself if you can. Meet with your support group or closest friends or family. That's all that you're getting for now being a busy mum for your LO. But you get deprived with a lot of things being a mum but I say it's all worth it.

schoolgaterebel Tue 07-Nov-17 16:50:11

If I could as on my own over Christmas:

The day before I would stock the cupboards, clean the house, do all my chores (laundry etc) so I don't have a single boring job to do and the house is spic & span.

I would stock up on some movies / box sets, put my cosiest pj's on and spend all day on the sofa eating all my favourite treats.

In the evening I would possibly open a bottle of wine, put my favourite music on and cook myself a lovely meal (something the kids wouldn't like that I never get a chance to eat)

Followed by a long candlelit bubble bath, and more wine. I might take the opportunity to shave, exfoliate, do a face mask, paint my nails etc. And generally pamper myself because I never have time.

schoolgaterebel Tue 07-Nov-17 16:50:46

*if I was on my own

Penguin82 Thu 09-Nov-17 00:07:12

Thanks everyone. I shouldnt complain as am sure I will have dd for most of the day and will see friends too. I have it much better than most. There is just something about Xmas that makes me feel like a big family all round one table us the only 'right' way to do things even when the reality is that's it's a lot if work and often a bit shit!

wendz86 Thu 09-Nov-17 08:09:39

My kids are going to their dads from the morning till Boxing Day . I will be with my parents so planning on a 'grown up' Christmas with lots of food , drink , watching tv etc and chilling .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now