Talk

Advanced search

Wise laptop people - please advise!

(18 Posts)
ChristmasjumpersAgogo Mon 06-Nov-17 13:25:16

10 DD wants a laptop for joint Christmas & birthday present and as she'll need one for Secondary school I thought it was a good idea.

Budget is ideally under £150 but would stretch to £200 if it made a lot of difference to quality.

It will be used for homework and internet use.

Any advice welcome as I have no clue what I should be looking for x

WaxOnFeckOff Mon 06-Nov-17 14:43:03

That's a pretty tight budget. I'm happy to advise between some options if you post some links. I think you may be better with a refurb or something. Pcs are fairly easy to upgrade, laptops are trickier.

WaxOnFeckOff Mon 06-Nov-17 14:59:32

Have a look on laptopoutlet.co.uk they seem to have some in your budget.

bluebells1 Mon 06-Nov-17 15:16:38

this?

ChristmasjumpersAgogo Mon 06-Nov-17 17:48:29

I know someone who sells refurbs. This is what he is offering;

4 to 6gb ram 320 hdd win10 home or pro open office antivirus or similar 2 core in amd 4gb ram 320 hdd win10 office free and antivirus

I don't really understand what that means though

ChristmasjumpersAgogo Mon 06-Nov-17 17:52:38

This is what the Chromebook says;

Chrome OS
Intel® Celeron® Processor N2840
RAM: 2 GB / Storage: 16 GB eMMC
Battery life: Up to 9 hours battery life

Is that better than the refurb?

bluebells1 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:54:13

that sounds like a decent spec if you are only looking for basic usage.

bluebells1 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:55:44

Chromebook has a different operating system and comes with no add ons like office etc. It basically works on the internet. The refurb is a proper laptop which has storage on it for all your docs and also comes with Windows as the OS.

ChristmasjumpersAgogo Mon 06-Nov-17 17:59:35

That's really helpful thank you

ChristmasjumpersAgogo Mon 06-Nov-17 18:05:59

Could she play Minecraft on the laptop

WaxOnFeckOff Mon 06-Nov-17 18:16:57

The laptop is a better spec. It doesn't (as far as I can see) meet the minimum requirements listed for minecraft. However the info given doesn't state which CPU it has or what the graphics are. That doesn't mean it definitely wouldn't play, but it might be laggy and frustrating or it might be fine.

Minimum Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core i3-3210 3.2 GHz / AMD A8-7600 APU 3.1 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 2GB
GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge) or AMD Radeon R5 series (Kaveri line) with OpenGL 4.4*
GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 400 Series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series with OpenGL 4.4
HDD: At least 1GB for game core, maps and other files
- Windows: Windows 7 and up

Recommended Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz / AMD A10-7800 APU 3.5 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 4GB
GPU: GeForce 700 Series or AMD Radeon Rx 200 Series (excluding integrated chipsets) with OpenGL 4.5
HDD: 4GB (SSD is recommended)
OS (recommended 64-bit):
- Windows: Windows 10

WaxOnFeckOff Mon 06-Nov-17 18:36:55

If I explain a wee bit about how computers work it might help a bit?

The CPU is the Central Processing Unit, the higher the GHz, the faster it processes. For looking up stuff on the internet or using email and doing homework, you don't need high speeds, if you want to use it for gaming like Minecraft and other games, the speed of the processor helps to keep the game running. They tend to come in dual core or quad core - like before the higher the number the better.

The amount of RAM (random access memory) is also important for gaming, again this affects how quickly the game will play. Higher number the better.

GPU or Graphics is what affects how the game displays and also affects the speed. Dedicated graphics are usually better than on-board graphics but there is a long history of different graphics cards...

Storage is the HDD or SSD, for general use again you may not need very much but the system itself will use some so if there isn't much then you could be looking at having to store things on memory sticks. Games use more memory for the saves. Most proper gamers will be using Steam etc which will (I think) save their progress so it doesn't use up space on the PC itself.

Windows 10 is the operating system and is the most up to date.

Open Office is basically free microsoft office with less functionality. I don't use anything else and it's perfectly fine. You can save documents as microsoft versions if you need to pass them on to teachers etc.

I cant see anything in your budget that would play minecraft well.

The main issue you may have with a refurb is the battery. Sometimes the batteries don't last that well and it means that you really need to be plugged in. Not necessarily an issue though.

ChristmasjumpersAgogo Mon 06-Nov-17 22:51:32

That is so helpful thank you.

Whats the minimum sort of price range for a laptop that could run minecraf

ImStillBreathing Mon 06-Nov-17 23:03:55

It might be about double, which is madness really as my boys bought refurb dell laptops about 3 years ago with a higher spec than you need which were in the 250-300 mark. They seem so much more expensive at the moment.

this is a Scratch and dent model which is a very decent spec and would last your DD right through High School but is more than double what you want to spend.

Stuff on the outlet goes like hot cakes though: outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdboNIKH0aqQhWma%2bE8BZdg%2bvHQi6u03JX707Pz1PISX%2bb5KqSVXIqkNJ5cj9vt6InbgB9e%2bp4aLPQTXz7BdMUkdWtU4y0Eb5pKnveLuYeE3nNLGK7tOSanYr7nB94tdUCysyv7MH24JVIIwDJaaK8XtN7GwzC8bmq7KMI0pv7uAgBkwbYJapawiPvbnOKS894l4s8hKfu1yxp%2fk85bnDrd%2bMZWO06OwyoZ8Rn98YUNTesA96vIIKXDo%3d

ImStillBreathing Mon 06-Nov-17 23:14:34

This actually looks pretty good and close to your budget though is more of a netbook in size.

The CPU could do with a little extra power but you just struggle to get the same level of power from a laptop processor as you will from a desktop (to do with amount of heat generated etc.) It says ity's a B grade refurb so might be worth checking just how that is going to look.

www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/dell-latitude-e6420-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-8gb-ram-320gb-hdd-windows-10-pro.html

Zoesweet Tue 07-Nov-17 09:32:51

I'd go for Lenovo thinkpads. I had one for over 3 years now and the battery is still at its best performance. There are a lot of good deals on Amazon and Ebay but be careful with used ones.

ChristmasjumpersAgogo Tue 07-Nov-17 17:28:33

Oh wow - almost double!

That's a lot to spend on a 10yr. I had no idea how expensive laptops were

ChristmasjumpersAgogo Tue 07-Nov-17 19:28:24

So I've had a think and decided I would rather pay more and get a decent one than buy a rubbish one for cheaper.

That said, I think £250 is upper limit. Does that small increase in budget help?

I like the £215 linked to earlier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now