Talk

Advanced search

Gift idea for blind elderly relative

(23 Posts)
Wobbliebits Sun 05-Nov-17 21:37:22

Hi, my nan has been losing her sight for a while and is now almost blind. She used to enjoy crafts, reading and crossword puzzles.
This year I’m at a loss of what to get her for Christmas. She lives alone and doesn’t get out much now due to her sight.
Does anyone have an experience of a blind relative and what she might enjoy as a gift?
Thank you in advance

Abra1d Sun 05-Nov-17 21:38:11

Audible subscription for books?

KC225 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:58:41

Have you thought about a portable cd player and audio books. We have bought MIL a couple of audio books as her eyesight is going and she also loved reading

I think argos still had a couple of portable CD players.

buckeejit Sun 05-Nov-17 23:11:12

Amazon dot! Especially great if she has a smart phone-lots of things an be done with it

WaxOnFeckOff Mon 06-Nov-17 11:07:16

I'm in a similar boat with my mum. She doesn't gave WiFi or smartphone or any access to the internet. She doesn't like audio books. She does "watch" tv but it's not holding her interest. So far I have socks! We've bought her brightly contrasting stuff for her kitchen to help her find the tea etc. But we are all struggling now. Her mobility is very poor too. The cd player is a good idea if she likes music too. Something simple with big buttons.

fleshmarketclose Mon 06-Nov-17 12:09:28

Listening Books is a subscription service that offers downloads as well as books on CD for people who have problems reading. It's much cheaper than Audible only £20 a year so you could get a CD player alongside.

Changerofname987654321 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:12:41

Following

Lookingtothehighlands Mon 06-Nov-17 12:18:51

Have you looked at the RNIB online shop? Some good ideas there.

CryingShame Mon 06-Nov-17 12:21:39

How about a phone with larger buttons on?

Or just nice things because they're nice, not because they're practical - bath / shower things, nice thick bath towels, room scents etc.

A voucher to take her out for a meal?

IsabelleSE19 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:30:48

I got my granny one of those super soft fleece blankets, only from Wilko, (and one for myself at the same time for curling up and reading under!) and she really liked it.

Wobbliebits Mon 06-Nov-17 17:33:31

Thanks everyone, keep the ideas coming smile
Nan doesn’t have WiFi either but I like the idea of a cd subscription also brightly coloured tubs and things sounds good!
I would be nice if i could find something she can do with her hands. Will also look on the RNIB shop.
Thank you

Wobbliebits Mon 06-Nov-17 17:36:53

Oh I’ve just googled ‘large print puzzle books’ lots available!

Christmastree43 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:43:09

Some nice fluffy slippers
A radio
Nicely scented toiletries or room diffuser etc
A voucher for a meal out with you

I am trying to think of something to do with the hands but am struggling, will keep on thinking!

KC225 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:20:05

Just to add that in addition to the portable cd player we bought MIL some old time radio shows like Round the Horn, Habcocks Half Hour and the Navy Lark all form the late 50s and 60s. They were so cheap on eBay 2.50 to 4.00. She sat in the garden listening to them this summer. They have so many shows, if she doesn't always fancy a book or music

Tantpoke Tue 07-Nov-17 00:15:55

Get her wifi set up and an iPad so she can ask SIRI to do what she wants.

buckeejit Tue 07-Nov-17 09:07:16

If you can afford it or split between folk, wifi would be great-Amazon dot can be voice activated to turn on TV, radio, use smart plugs to turn lamps on & off. It could be an amazing resource for anyone with impaired mobility & loads of fun things too.

Electric hot water bottle is something else that may be useful

NewtsSuitcase Tue 07-Nov-17 09:12:07

A couple of years ago I bought all of my elderly relatives lovely heated throws. They cost pennies to use.

Bought myself one too and it was instantly swiped by the DC

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-Nov-17 09:40:16

My <does concentrating face> step-grandmother-in-law is blind and ninety-something. She loves audio books and DVDs she can just listen to. And decent booze! That always goes down well. Subscription things of all types are nice though - you can get cheese ones and chocolate ones. Might be nice to have something drop through the letterbox once a month if she isn't able to get out much any more?

Debby08 Tue 07-Nov-17 10:50:02

Listening Books are good specially if he's always interested in stories and or novels. There's an array you can choose from at Listening books. amazon has them too though I'd prefer the former. Gave one to a dear friend in the past.

Annwithnoe Tue 07-Nov-17 19:17:36

Maybe for wrapping paper you could use a flocked or embossed paper. You often get them for wedding gifts and she won't notice if it's not Christmassy but will probably appreciate how it feels. Luxurious silk satin ribbons and a touch of scent might be nice too.

gingerhousecat Tue 07-Nov-17 20:08:35

Audio books. Old radio shows/programmes. We just to get them for an aunt years ago, we got them from the library. Worth checking at the local library as they may have a drop off service.
Digital radio with favourite channels already tuned in.
Favourite old dvds, my aunt loved listening to any Bette Davis ones , with a portable DVD player...easy to navigate and she can move it around easily. Charger plugged in one particular place, so no worries tripping over wires.
Ringtons tea delivery
Nice blankets/ cardigans/ nightwear. X

AutumnalLeaves38 Thu 09-Nov-17 07:19:03

OP,

Depending on your Nan's remaining sight level, might this be any good?

Moonlight colour-changing plush cushion for relaxation.

(2min Youtube demo)

You can pre-set for her the speed of gently cycling colours; some of which seem pretty strong and vibrant (see video clip)...perhaps enough for her to see?

(Fake) furry cover, so nice and tactile for her to hold/ stroke on her lap, whilst she (hopefully) would be soothed by the smooth colour changes...Very comforting in itself, I would guess. smile

Hope she has a nice Christmas anyway, whatever you end up getting her. Sight loss must be very hard to adjust to.

Wobbliebits Fri 10-Nov-17 08:47:28

What a lovely lot of ideas, thank you everyone ❤️
I’ve ordered a large print puzzle book and I’m going to have a look into some of your other ideas over the weekend.
Thank you again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now