Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where will I get a nice, but not expensive, garland for my fireplace?

(13 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 05-Nov-17 21:35:10

Maybe with fairy lights in it?

wobblywonderwoman Sun 05-Nov-17 21:37:09

B&m for about 12 pound with lights

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 05-Nov-17 21:39:46

I'm liking the look of this. I think I want one for the mantle and one for the bannister - it will save me winding battery powered lights through the very heavy garland that I've used for the last five years and then blu-tacking the battery pack to the underside of the bannister.

birdsdestiny Sun 05-Nov-17 21:42:11

I found mine at a garden centre. But honestly it took me forever. They either look like tinsel or cost about a thousand pound. No middle ground.

crumble82 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:48:10

Party Pieces have some nice Christmas decorations.

Crumbs1 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:09:48

Make one from real greenery? It’s not difficult.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 05-Nov-17 22:15:48

Agree with Crumbs it’s really easy to make one if you can get hold of some greenery. Anything as long as it’s green.

The simplest one I’ve made is just from holly, and I was in a real rush so just placed everything on the mantle of the fireplace. I place the holly on there along with the fairy lights, then I put some in some fir cones and a few little Xmas things- a robin and couple of little angels. That’s it! Looks fab when it’s light up.

katienana Mon 06-Nov-17 10:21:52

I have one from Ikea, it looks like a long length of Christmas tree. I put my own lights and thread some baubles through it. It won't have been expensive but looks really good.

katienana Mon 06-Nov-17 10:23:20

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/christmas/holiday-flowers-vases-pots/smycka-artificial-garland-in-outdoor-spruce-art-90363379/

They still make it, only £8

BluePheasant Mon 06-Nov-17 10:32:30

If you have a real Christmas tree you can usually make a garland big enough for the mantelpiece with the offcuts. I just bind them together with some garden wire and then hang some baubles and things off it. It’s really easy and doesn’t take long to do at all.

TrickyD Mon 06-Nov-17 14:38:58

It's easy to make one with a fairly basic length of artificial garland, then ponce it up with ribbons, bells, beads, lights etc. We have three, sittingroom, snug and dining room. I pack each one away separately, so resurrecting them each Christmas is fairly simple.
Use butchers' hooks to attach them to the mantel, even heavy ones will stay put.

Might not bother too much this year though, we are going away for Christmas and Bew Year.

lucysmam Mon 06-Nov-17 20:50:59

Ooh Tricky, I like those! Might have a go at making my own; I only have the one to do & have a rather huge box of giant pinecones waiting for me to find a use for them.

Might have to be artificial though, not sure where I'd get holly and other greenery round herr.

TrickyD Mon 06-Nov-17 23:48:05

Lucysmam artificial as a base will be fine, that's all I use, and if you fix the pine cones on with a bit of fuse wire or gardening wire it will look lovely. I like the garlands to hang under the mantel shelf rather than along the top, that's where the butchers' hooks come in. One at each end and hook the garland through but make sure it is pulled tight so the tension will keep the hooks from falling off. And the pinecones will be OK for next year too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now