Talk

Advanced search

Hard to buy for people!

(21 Posts)
KeepSmiling83 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:00:49

Hi,

I have pretty much decided what I am buying everyone for Christmas although haven’t bought it all yet! I am on a tight budget this year and as a result only buying for immediate family. I am really struggling with my auntie and uncle though. They are both extremely good to me and help me out a lot (particularly in the past year when I have been going through a hard time). They have both said not to buy them anything but I really would like to give them something to show my appreciation.

They are both retired and in their 60s. My uncle loves reading, gardening and cooking. He likes doing crossword puzzles and enjoys watching films/tv series. In the past I have generally bought him practical things like books, clothes etc but a couple of years ago I bought him a curry subscription from Not on the High Street where he got the ingredients each month for a different curry to cook.

My auntie is the most difficult to buy for as she doesn’t have any hobbies as such. She likes interior design and cleaning! She isn’t a massive foodie (although she does have a sweet tooth) and doesn’t drink. She likes spending time as a family and last year I bought vouchers for a chef to come to their house and cook for us all one evening which was a lovely way to spend time together.

Does anyone have any good ideas? Like I said I haven’t got a lot of money but would like to get them something thoughtful.

glitterbiscuits Sun 05-Nov-17 18:24:06

Magazine subscription for Aunty? There are lots of house style ones.

MrsHathaway Sun 05-Nov-17 19:00:21

Those are expensive presents, and aunt/ uncle aren't immediate family. Are you sure you've cut back as far as you can?

Does it need to be a bought present? I'm assuming they're married to each other: could you do a joint present that's 150% of the cost of a single present but not as much as getting them something each? Is there any scope for something home-made or putting together a hamper?

KeepSmiling83 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:04:09

I’ve only had to cut back the past year so before this I was able to spend a bit more on them. I know normally an auntie and uncle wouldn’t be immediate family but they have no children of their own and have always been extremely close to me. I’m only buying my children, my parents and my auntie and uncle so I can’t really cut back any further.

I can probably afford £50 between them. I can buy a joint present or separate presents and am happy with homemade gifts.

moreismore Sun 05-Nov-17 19:08:08

Do you enjoy cooking/baking? A seasonal hamper may be the way to go- fruit cake, chocolate truffles, fudge, mince pies, chutney or jam, biscuits. A bottle of red with a little tied muslin contained mulling spices. You can get hampers and seasonal boxes etc places like hobbeycraft.

MrsHathaway Sun 05-Nov-17 19:16:19

That sounds very practical then. £50 of nice things - maybe a pair of gardening gloves for him and interior design book for her, plus chutney/fudge/wine and IOUs for dinner at yours or a wander round the local NT gardens or whatever?

NoraButty Sun 05-Nov-17 19:17:43

If they like a bit of booze I can recommend this for a lovely joint gift

www.fortnumandmason.com/products/the-bellini-box

I've seen it in the flesh and the box alone is beautiful. It's even better if they've ever been or have expressed an interest in Venice as the description mentions the famous Harry's Bar. We copy pasted this bit ...close your eyes and you could almost be outside Harry’s Bar watching the gondolas glide by .... onto their gift card.

GinFuzzy Sun 05-Nov-17 19:52:18

That Bellini box is gorgeous!!

MrsHathaway Sun 05-Nov-17 19:54:59

Agreed: it's beautiful. Shame there isn't an option to include a pair of suitable glasses but I daresay aunt and uncle already own some.

Mrsmadevans Sun 05-Nov-17 20:02:37

How about a Aldi hamper using the £ 10 code referral that is floating around my dear they deliver it and everything looks delicious in it!

Geepee71 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:25:24

How about a dining experience, I've managed to find a local steam train fish and chip supper for two, that I'll be buying for my hard to buy for couple.

Stinkbomb Sun 05-Nov-17 21:29:23

My Aunty & Uncle have asked for a plant for their garden - could that be an idea? Do you know what their garden is like, sunny/shady etc?

Isadora2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:32:29

How about a Dobbies voucher. They can use it for some gardening stuff and/or house stuff And/or a cream tea type treat. With a lovely handmade card saying how much they mean to you.

Emily7708 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:28:19

If your auntie has a sweet tooth, they have a few different chocoholic afternoon tea experiences on Buyagift.com. Or they have a Fun Together smartbox £39.99 or Happy Christmas smartbox £49.99 where they can choose their own experience. There’s a 25% off code floating around too.

KeepSmiling83 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:55:11

Thank you so much for all the ideas! I will definitely have a look now at your suggestions!

Jaffalong Sun 05-Nov-17 23:00:41

As your uncle enjoys puzzles, how about Banangram word puzzle. It's a bit like scrabble but without the board but much faster. It's great fun and currently only £7 in the works.

For your aunt, I'd get a magazine subscription or an afternoon tea voucher so they can both enjoy it together.

singadream Mon 06-Nov-17 00:20:22

If they told you not to buy for them I would make something. Look up nigella’s pistachio fudge. And I would add some nice second hand books from the charity shop.

GingerRogers84 Mon 06-Nov-17 00:59:49

Hotel chocolate always comes up trumps!

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Mon 06-Nov-17 07:06:37

A photo of all of you made into a jigsaw, an album filled with happy memories. Personally I would far rather someone did something really thoughtful than bought me a voucher or a pre made hamper. Something filled with love rather than expensive.

Casablanca78 Mon 06-Nov-17 07:18:08

That Bellini box is gorgeous, a lovely gift!

sashh Mon 06-Nov-17 07:31:11

Some sort of experience that can invite family to, pottery or a cooking lesson.

Bulbs or a tree for the garden.

Are they both in good health? You could pay a landscape gardener to come and do some of the heavy lifting.

I couple of years ago I got my dad a microscope that he can use with his laptop, he was really pleased.

What about a murder mystery party box?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: