Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian Christmas Day Breakfast

(25 Posts)
Leeds2 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:08:51

Any ideas for something special/different to do for a vegetarian Christmas breakfast? All ideas gratefully received!

yorkshireyummymummy Sun 05-Nov-17 17:15:09

I'm not a veggie but personally I LOVE toasted sourdough with mashed avocado and a poached egg. It's just heaven. AND it's filling enough to help the recipient last until lunch.
Or, you could do a nice, homemade granola ( really simple, make in advance, out in a tub and it keeps fine) with some beautiful full fat Greek yoghurt, mixed berries ( get them out of the fridge 30 mins before serving ) and some nice having honey.........oh hell, my mouth is watering!
Hope this helps.!

LordEmsworth Sun 05-Nov-17 17:23:05

Different to what?

Last year I did duck eggs, avocado & asparagus. Which is not actually very different to a normal breakfast for me but I love it.

Year before, cinammon buns. Made night before & proved in fridge overnight.

Fekko Sun 05-Nov-17 17:24:05

What's a Christmas Day breakfast? Like a Sunday second (hobbit) breakfast?

00100001 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:24:06

Chocolate, that's what we have!

Followed by cooked breakfast

00100001 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:30:26

Ideas;
pretty much anything

Fry up
Breakfast baps
McDonald's style breakfast muffins (qourn do sausage patties)
Cinnamon buns
Pastries and/or sweetbreads (pain aux chocolat, brioche, apricot Danish etc)
Eggs benedict or similar
Porridge
Fruit salad
Fake bacon rolls
Sausage sarnies
Panacakes with a zillion toppings
Waffles with toppings
French toast
Dippy eggs and soldiers
Coco pops
Frosties
A red and green layered smoothie!

00100001 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:32:31

Most breakfasts are veggie once you think about it. And veggie sausages and bacon are easily obtained

EgremontRusset Sun 05-Nov-17 17:42:10

Pancakes!

LilQueenie Sun 05-Nov-17 17:46:55

selection box and shloer is the usual christmas breakfast here. our actual cooked breakfast is around 3pm veggie bacon on rolls when I can wake up enough to make it.

Leeds2 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:52:05

Like the sound of the toasted sourdough and avocado, Yorkshire. Thank you.

wtffgs Sun 05-Nov-17 17:56:29

Last year I did duck eggs, avocado & asparagus. Which is not actually very different to a normal breakfast for me but I love it.

Mumsnet is a very broad church!! wink

RavingRoo Sun 05-Nov-17 17:58:20

I make poached eggs, home made hashbrowns, sauteed mushrooms, pancakes, avocado, bubble and squeak, potato farls and home made baked beans.

RiaOverTheRainbow Sun 05-Nov-17 17:59:26

mince pies and a chocolate orange

Croissants or pain-au-chocolat

WolfieInTheWoods Sun 05-Nov-17 18:00:03

I'm vegetarian and we usually have pain au chocolat on Christmas day.

You could do a selection of food: a fruit bowl, pastries, eggs, sourdough toast, asparagus as someone else mentioned

MummySparkle Sun 05-Nov-17 18:01:53

Pancakes
Eggy Bread / French toast

viques Sun 05-Nov-17 18:09:35

Eggs Benedict?

Actually I think Christmas morning breakfast in bed for the person who was up latest on Christmas Eve wrapping stuff should be the law.

Nigella did a really complicated egg thing the other week, with yogurt, eggs drained through a tea strainer before poaching and various other faffyness, it was not one of her best I thought.

viques Sun 05-Nov-17 18:12:06

Please don't serve asparagus at this time of year or at Christmas , it is tasteless and stringy imported stuff. Wait until late spring and enjoy proper English asparagus during its rightful season. Keep food seasonal!!!

ArcheryAnnie Sun 05-Nov-17 18:28:19

A proper Christmas morning breakfast, veggie or otherwise, is:

A cup of tea delivered by your DC
Your stocking delivered to your bedside by your DC, along with his stocking.
You eat the tangerines from both your stocking and his (he doesn't like tangerines, but father christmas always puts one in, because tradition).
He eats the entire selection box from his stocking, and feels a bit sick. He does not admit feeling a bit sick.
You eat some of the walnuts from your stocking's toe.
At some point you are desperate for another cup of tea and put some toast on for you both while you are up. You also cut up the apple from the stocking for your DC in order to ameliorate the effects of the selection box.
Done!

Though this year, I might go mad and make some waffles in the waffle-maker. Those are quite heavy, so there would have to be a decent interval between the selection box and breakfast proper.

PurpleDaisies Sun 05-Nov-17 18:29:38

Eggs Benedict?

You know that’s got ham? smile

Eggs florentine is nice though.

Elllicam Sun 05-Nov-17 19:16:53

I like the sound of the mince pie and chocolate orange.

GinUnicorn Sun 05-Nov-17 20:17:45

I like croissant and mimosa personally mmm

viques Sun 05-Nov-17 23:10:20

Oops!* benedict/florentine* I always get them muddled! as,you say both delicious!

Fosterdog123 Sun 05-Nov-17 23:14:08

Well I'm going to RavingRoos for brekkie. I'll be there about 10ish, ok?

RavingRoo Sun 05-Nov-17 23:21:02

By all means the more the merrier!

Lookingtothehighlands Mon 06-Nov-17 12:29:38

I'll have my usual mince pie and champagne cocktail

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now