Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Books for 8 year olds

(17 Posts)
PrivateParkin Sun 05-Nov-17 10:26:19

Does anyone have any recommendations for good books for 8yo please? My DS has read (and loves) all the Dav Pilkeys, King Flashypants, 13 Storey Tree House, etc. Can anyone recommend any good "chapter" books and/or graphic novels for this age? TIA

Ricekrispie22 Sun 05-Nov-17 13:43:04

Timmy Failure
Spangles McNasty
The Adventures of Alfie Onion
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Crompton Valance
Shoutykid series by Simon Mayle
Spies in Disguise series by Kate Scott
Harvey Drew books by Cas Lester
Stinky Finger series
Doctor Proctor series
Dirty Bertie series
No. 1 Boys Detective series
Geronimo Stilton series
Ted Rules the World by Frank Cottrell Boyce
Skulduggery by Tony Robinson
Billy Button, Telegram Boy by Sally Nicholls

PrivateParkin Sun 05-Nov-17 14:44:40

Oh wow thanks Ricekrispie - loads of promising suggestions there! Thanks v much.

whimsical1975 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:41:27

I second Diary of a Wimpy Kid
My DS also loved the cricket novel series "Kaboom Kids" written by Aus cricketer David Warner - he couldn't put them down but he's a cricket but so will depend on your DS's interest in cricket!

whimsical1975 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:42:00

A cricket NUT! Not BUT!!

BikeRunSki Sun 05-Nov-17 15:48:05

Wimpy Kid series!

Leeds2 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:05:27

Jiggy McCue/Toilet of Doom series by Michael Lawrence.
Books by Jeremy Strong.
Mr Gum series by Andy Stanton.

lunabear1 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:08:32

Harry Potter!

RiojaHaze Sun 05-Nov-17 17:12:40

The How to train your dragon series is being enthusiastically absorbed by my just 9 year old.

whatsleep Sun 05-Nov-17 17:44:12

The Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher a really lovely book and ideal for Christmas.

PrivateParkin Sun 05-Nov-17 19:02:05

Ah thanks everyone. Will do some research into those. Luna He's read a bit of Harry Potter and did seem quite taken with it, so maybe the illustrated version would be good. Thanks for the idea.

Annwithnoe Sun 05-Nov-17 19:38:46

My 8 year old has just discovered Narnia, and is loving Asterix.

PrivateParkin Sun 05-Nov-17 21:20:13

Thanks Ann I didn't think of Narnia either! I read them as a kid - I'm not sure how old I was, but yes I guess 8 would be about right.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 05-Nov-17 21:30:05

My dd 8 is very into adventure time at the moment there's loads of the graphic novels on amazon. She reads them constantly over and over!! Also loves beano - got the subscription last year and she was over the moon.

If u do let him read harry potter have a read through first as they get quite dark from 3 onwards. My dd is only allowed to watch and read up to book 3. The films then become 12's rather than pg.

She's also read a few goosebumps books at school which she enjoyed. She also reads pokemon handbooks and minecraft manuals over and over again!

endoftheworldasweknowit Sun 05-Nov-17 22:39:53

My DS8 will only read graphic/comic novels by himself (minimal words!) and loves
Pokemon or Yu Gi Oh books
Yo Kai watch
Dragon Ball Z
Big Nate (the character isn't quite so awful as diary of a wimpy kid)
Tintin/asterix
Captain Underpants/dog man
Jedi academy
Simpsons/beano/dandy books or annuals
Bunny vs. Monkey (or anything published by the Phoenix)
Tom Gates
For chapter books I totally second the how to train your dragon books. I think he loved them more than Harry Potter! Am off to investigate all the other suggestions, great thread, thanks!

PrivateParkin Sun 05-Nov-17 23:17:51

Thanks nocuts and endoftheworld yes a Beano annual/subscription is a great idea. He's been a bit scared of Goosebumps in the past but maybe ok now. The graphic novels sound great, I hadn't heard of any of them! I've got so many possibilities now, so glad I started this thread! I agree re Harry Potter nocuts - I've read the books and even as an adult I found Book 4 pretty scary... So yes I will tread with caution.

Zoesweet Mon 06-Nov-17 08:30:40

The wimpy kid series is hilariously funny but with nuggets of wisdom on the side. I guess that's a good book for your 8yo LO. I gave it a as a gift to my nephew too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now