Talk

Advanced search

Doll advice for 6.5 year old

(10 Posts)
thedayismine Sat 04-Nov-17 20:51:29

Hi all - collective wisdom please !
My DD has asked for clothes for Baby Annabel this Christmas.
I am wondering whether she is a bit grown up for this - although I am all for encouraging the imaginative play - is there something else that might actually be played with more ?
She has a couple of Barbies / Disney dolls and Lotties which she plays with - she also plays with my little ponies a lot too .
Will Baby Annabel hold interest if I get her some bits or will she have her next birthday and suddenly be on to something more gown up ? And if you have a slightly older child what would you go for ?

SavageCabbage Sat 04-Nov-17 20:54:32

A six year old is not too grown up to play with a doll.

Longwalkoffashortpier Sat 04-Nov-17 20:55:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SeratoninIsMyFriend Sat 04-Nov-17 20:57:56

My soon-to-be nine year old loves her baby Annabelle, and gets indignant when people (like my dad) say stupid things about her being too grown up! She didn’t even start being interested in dolls until about 7.

I think it’s sad that girls are made to feel babyish playing with dolls; I hope that she stops when she is ready.

MacavityTheDentistsCat Sat 04-Nov-17 21:02:04

I would get her the Baby Annabel. My 12 year old has only really stopped playing with hers during the last twelve months and has had hours and hours of pleasure from it.

thedayismine Sat 04-Nov-17 22:31:07

Thanks so much everyone . Am reassured that she isn't going to suddenly outgrow the dolls !! I guess they are all so different. I am not the kind of parent to hurry her on to more grown up things. She loves her imaginary play so I will go with the dolls clothes !

snowmanshoes Sun 05-Nov-17 20:30:06

My nearly 7 year old has asked for a tiny treasures doll this year (and is getting one!)

thedayismine Mon 06-Nov-17 20:18:46

Oh snowman** my DD would definitely love that - you can even get a baby carrier and changing bag.
I think I need to get her to write her proper list pretty soon so I can see what else she has her eye on !

BrieAndChilli Mon 06-Nov-17 20:24:07

My 9 year old just saved up her pocket money to buy a baby doll.

There are some 9/10 year old girls o know who are like mini teenagers, wearing 4” heels and face full of make up to a wedding etc. hmm

I’m in no hurry for DD to grow up and am glad her friends are all still into dolls and doing cartwheels and making slime.

leccybill Mon 06-Nov-17 20:29:42

My nearly 8 year old has asked for a new buggy for her Baby Annabell - I've already got it.
A few dolls have come and gone but she's always gone back to Baby Annabell and we've had years of play out of her. Whenever friends visit, they always play 'babies'.

I'm in no hurry for her to grow up at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: