Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I want to get my SIL's book illustrated. Too late for Christmas now?

(10 Posts)
Supermagicsmile Sat 04-Nov-17 19:09:12

I don't know if it's too late now to get her book illustrated. It's a children's book. Anyone done similar?

Almostthere15 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:24:20

What about advertising for a student to do It, you could post in local student shops or write to a college?

Supermagicsmile Sat 04-Nov-17 19:49:49

Fab idea! Thankyou!

KC225 Sat 04-Nov-17 20:59:30

Contact colleges that have illustration courses, or animation. Maybe someone could pit a note on the board. Also, not sure if this is true but was once told if the illustrator's name is on the front cover then they expect half the profits - you may have to check this.

Perhaps an idea is to get a 'how to draw' how to illustrate' and maybe she could do it herself

Someaddedsugar Sat 04-Nov-17 21:03:37

@supermagicsmile DSis is an illustrator and has had her work published in a number of independent magazines - I can ask her if she can help?

Trampire Sat 04-Nov-17 21:14:04

I've been a children's book illustrator for 24 years.

I'm assuming you mean a private commission? Your not expecting it to be all printed and bound etc?

If you want a couple if small vignettes or pages illustrated then yes put an add up at a student college or online. If you want a full colour, all singing and dancing job then yes - it's too late for Christmas. It all depends on how good you want the work to be. An experienced professional illustrator won't be available (sorry, I never work in this way). A student may work for a flat fee, per page. They will own the copyright unless you draw up and contract to sign that officially buys them out.

Out of interest a mainstream publisher works nearly 2 years ahead of a Christmas publication. So people are already commissioning for 2019.

Supermagicsmile Sat 04-Nov-17 21:38:34

Yes please Someaddedsugar!

Thanks for the info Trampire. I am clueless about all this!

Snafflebrain Sun 05-Nov-17 18:10:21

Could you post your job on peopleperhour website or similar and include the timescale of waning it before Xmas. You’ll get bids for the job and they’ll provide links / examples of their work. You aren’t obligated to accept any of the bids if you aren’t keen on any of them.

Jaffalong Sun 05-Nov-17 20:51:34

Just to say if you can't get it done in time for Christmas, you could still commission it for her next birthday. It may give you time to find someone who would do a decent job and not rush it.

SpringSnowdrop Sun 05-Nov-17 21:06:06

Is she hoping to have it published or is it more just for her own benefit?

Depending on the theme I would love to do it if it wasn’t very involved. I used to work in children’s book publishing and just draw a lot for fun and it doesn’t take me long. I wouldn’t have time for a fully illustrated picture book so it depends what the book is - if it’s an older reader’s book needing some line drawings I would gladly show you some to see if you liked them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now