Talk

Advanced search

A quick..what would you do?

(18 Posts)
giraffesarefab Sat 04-Nov-17 14:13:20

Dh is into his cycling, well he goes on a saturday and sunday morning for 2 hours or so, so he's no Bradley Wiggins but he enjoys himself! So he would like a cycling jacket, I'm just not sure whether to try to get him one (though I'm not sure I'll get it right) or do I get him a voucher so he can choose his own? I think I'd rather receive a voucher rather than a present that wasn't right.

BeaLola Sat 04-Nov-17 14:37:14

I think for a DH I would get a voucher so he can choose exactly what he would like for himself & I would wrap it with a small related gift eg cycling mag subscription with first copy, gloves or similar

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 04-Nov-17 15:05:29

My dh has just bought himself a cycling jacket. It’s lightweight and warm and showerproof. It cost well over a hundred pounds. I’d get him a voucher if I were you. grin

walnutwhip88 Sat 04-Nov-17 15:33:49

YABU..Imagine if you asked your husband for some jewellery for xmas and you opened up a voucher on xmas day grin

TotemIcePole Sat 04-Nov-17 15:37:06

Voucher

FireflyGirl Sat 04-Nov-17 15:46:36

If he's asked you for one, then I agree with walnut whip. If you're not sure, do a bit of research by asking any cycling buddies to save hours on the internet then run the shortlist past him. Shows you've put the effort in, but saves you buying one that isn't right.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 04-Nov-17 15:48:45

This is exactly why
"Leaving the laptop open with the screen showing precisely the thing I want"
is the only way forward.
Plus sizes.

Your DH is missing a trick fgrin

gybegirl Sat 04-Nov-17 15:51:16

Check out wiggle.co.uk Their own brand (DHB I think) stuff is great. Their returns policy is also great but check dates or call them to confirm. That way you can buy something but he can change it if wrong/doesn't fit.

gybegirl Sat 04-Nov-17 15:52:12

Also check if he wants it to be waterproof or just windproof. They're different products for each.

giraffesarefab Sat 04-Nov-17 15:55:09

He didn't specifically ask me to buy it for him, he mentions he needed a new one as the jacket he went out in this morning leaked and he was very wet! I thought of buying him one for Christmas as a surprise so he isn't expecting one.
I might take him shopping and see if he sees anything he likes then go back at a later date and get it.
I have looked on the Internet this morning, there are literally hundreds and go between£6.99 and £300 which is why I was thinking voucher so he could choose his own and then put to if he wanted a more expensive one.

giraffesarefab Sat 04-Nov-17 15:59:47

gybegirl - tell me about it, there are loads of different ones, and don't get me started on cycling bibs - if they weren't so expensive, I'd get one for a laugh! He's just invested in some padded shorts, it's like a nappy. Not very glamorous this cycling lark is it? grin

whyareusernamessodifficult Sat 04-Nov-17 16:07:31

If he likes the one he’s got now then I’d get him one from the same brand.

Skyllo30 Sat 04-Nov-17 16:14:42

Is he someone who likes surprises or not? Could you say that you’d like to get him one for Christmas and let him pick it?

My parents got each other iPads for Christmas 2 weeks ago and they’re using them already. grin Better than my dad’s awful attempts at buying surprise presents!

GinFuzzy Sat 04-Nov-17 16:46:14

Add a cyclist myself, I know what I like... i love the idea of a hamper with a voucher.. !

Imbroglio Sat 04-Nov-17 16:47:58

Ask him to choose it now and he can unwrap it on the day.

gybegirl Sat 04-Nov-17 17:55:02

Another thought would be a pair of those overboots (I'm assuming he has clip on pedals) and a voucher for a jacket. There's a lot less choice and shoe size is easy.

The list of gear is loooooong. You'll never be short of things to get for Christmas and birthdays!

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Sat 04-Nov-17 19:03:53

Personally I hate vouchers. I'd rather someone researched something and did their best then if it's wrong I can always exchange but sometimes they find something you wouldn't have chosen. A few years ago DH bought me some new riding boots and I wasn't that keen to be honest but I kept them. They were the most comfortable, practical boots ever. I've bought DH plenty cycling stuff by googling for reviews, looking on forums and looking on wiggle.

giraffesarefab Sat 04-Nov-17 22:13:53

Well we need to nip to meadowhall (Sheffield) tomorrow so I'll pretend to go into sports direct to look for some (whatever's) and point some out to him and see what he says.
Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: