Talk

Advanced search

Help. santa in south east

(25 Posts)
alltheworld Sat 04-Nov-17 12:38:20

Yet again I have left it late to book and am restricted to weekends in December but keen to go somewhere and make a day of it. Suggestions gratefully received.

Snausage Sat 04-Nov-17 20:48:26

Have you thought of the Santa specials on local steam railways? Spa Valley Railway and Bluebell Railway both do them.

alltheworld Sat 04-Nov-17 21:09:50

Excellent idea! The only reason I haven't before is because I had the impression that the kids don't get an individual slot with santa!

LG93 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:33:11

Bluebell railway and ashfown forest llama park both spring to mind

Slartybartfast Sat 04-Nov-17 21:34:26

Plenty of garden centres offer grottos

Slartybartfast Sat 04-Nov-17 21:35:06

Drusillas

Juanbablo Sun 05-Nov-17 07:04:52

We often go to a local Garden Centre which has a lovely grotto. It's just outside Henley if that's anywhere near you. We are going somewhere different this year though.

balalalala Sun 05-Nov-17 07:18:05

Which garden centre is that juanbablo?

pinkhorse Sun 05-Nov-17 07:22:58

How about Thursford?

NeitherNowtNorSummat01 Sun 05-Nov-17 07:23:29

There few garden centres near me which have a nice Father Christmas. Henry Street Garden centre in Wokingham has reindeer, which is nice.
Oak tree garden centre in a infield has a nice santa and you decorate a biscuit with Mrs Clause before seeing the man himself
And if your children are still
Young enough for Odds Farm in Beaconsfield, the children see santa,, make a reindeer toy (like build a bear) and then go in to Santas workshop and chose their own toy from hundreds on offer

NeitherNowtNorSummat01 Sun 05-Nov-17 07:27:08

Oh and there's LegoLand. Which I a bit dearer but you can make a day of it and you get a lego gift

scrivette Sun 05-Nov-17 07:33:39

Where abouts in the South Easy are you?

Godstone Farm has a Father Christmas and you can spend the day there.

The Santa specials are good but you are correct in that the children don’t get to chat with him as he walks along the carriage handing out his gifts.

If you went to see the Harrods Father Christmas
you could spend the day in London and go ice skating at one of the outdoor rinks.

hashtagelfie Sun 05-Nov-17 07:41:45

Reindeer centre in Bethesden (just outside Ashford) don’t do booking except Christmas Eve. You just turn up and join the queue. reindeer centre

Juanbablo Sun 05-Nov-17 08:37:16

Toad Hall bala. Small grotto but nicely decorated and lovely santa.

Juanbablo Sun 05-Nov-17 08:38:46

We are going to Millets Farm which is meant to be really fun but I know it sells out fast.

YouCantArgueWithStupid Sun 05-Nov-17 08:55:26

Ruxley Manor Garden Centre?

Amberley Working Museum?

wineoclockthanks Sun 05-Nov-17 12:41:38

The Hever Castle one is fantastic, the year have a Christmas trail in the gardens which is so beautiful (and free if youve paid to enter the grounds iyswim!)

Santa’s grotto is lovely and you get a one to one with the main man.

If you can, go as it’s getting, or after dark as the lights are amazing.

wineoclockthanks Sun 05-Nov-17 12:42:33

Sorry, you need to book and you pay extra for the Santa visit if you want that too

balalalala Sun 05-Nov-17 20:07:18

Thanks, keep meaning to go there so may try and tie that in!

Jaffalong Sun 05-Nov-17 20:43:18

The museum of London at St. Paul's and at the docklands do a Victorian themed Father Christmas grotto in December only.

www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london/whats-on/grotto

shadesofwinter Sun 05-Nov-17 23:07:50

Bocketts Farm, near Leatherhead, is amazing to see Santa. We've been for the last 4 or 5 years.

martellandginger Tue 07-Nov-17 21:36:18

Rural life centre in Farnham.
Steam train to Santa. Elves take you through a barn with old fashioned model Lego city and small jams and chutney shop while you wait your turn to visit Santa’s workshop, make a toy decoration, play with old fashioned toys, see the reindeer and othe animals. Then mother Christmas greets you and takes you in to see the Father Christmas. A great looking Santa and you get a great gift. Admire the decorations in the woodland as you steam engine back to the car park.

It’s quaint, lovely and very Christmassy..

alltheworld Mon 13-Nov-17 19:27:09

Update. Thanks for all the suggestions. Such a lot of good ideas. In the end we went for Fishers farm because it had availability, a bit of an experience and a day out.

WreckTangled Mon 13-Nov-17 19:45:05

We would have done fishers but they pissed me off too much with the price. We pay an obscene amount of money for membership and it still would have been over £100 for the panto and to see santa. Bastards. I bet your dc will love it, they really do have the real santa there wink

alltheworld Mon 13-Nov-17 20:04:45

Yes, you are right it is pricey.... I was in a bit of last minute panic and as there was a Panto thought of killing two birds. I have only been once before in the summer and liked it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now