Talk

Advanced search

Joint present ideas...

(11 Posts)
halfbuffy Sat 04-Nov-17 12:24:32

This year DP and I have decided that instead of getting each other presents we will go halves on something for our new house...but we can’t decide what’s best.

DP has said we should get something frivolous like a Sonos system (our house is a 2 up 2 down and we really don’t need one) or a Nintendo Switch (we’ve got a PS4 and a 5 month DD so there’s not really time to enjoy it).

My suggestions are horrifically boring and practical like a kitchen island you can roll around for more storage, or garden furniture ready for next year!

So we need something in the middle that will get a lot of use, but also feels a bit special and something we wouldn’t ordinarily buy...budget is probably about £150 each!

We’ve got all the essentials for the house (DP bought all the white goods and I did a big ikea shop for wardrobes/storage) so it doesn’t really need to be as practical as that!

Any ideas? 🎄

LittleLights Sat 04-Nov-17 12:26:56

Alexa?

A Hive system?

wobblywonderwoman Sat 04-Nov-17 12:28:53

I would get an outback BBQ and agree with something for the garden. You will be glad once summer arrives.

halfbuffy Sat 04-Nov-17 12:30:47

Little what’s a hive system?

Wonder we’ve got a good bbq already...just nowhere to sit when we eat 🙄 but that’s the sort of idea we need, practical but enjoyable!

LittleLights Sat 04-Nov-17 12:34:18

hive info here

wobblywonderwoman Sat 04-Nov-17 12:51:32

Get a great table and chairs. When your little one is up and about next summer, you will be glad to have somewhere to have a coffee (get decent umbrella) and will be nice for parties etc.

DryHeave Sat 04-Nov-17 13:21:20

Another vote for garden furniture. Or the sonos actually - it's frivolous but enjoyable all the time. And now you can get sonos with alexa integrated if you want to go down the smartphone route.

Record payer and a load of vinyl!

Etymology23 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:09:50

I think I'd be tempted by garden furniture or a hive system personally. One helps in winter and the other in summer! The house is occupied quite irregular hours here so a hive would make more sense, whereas I think if I kept regular hours I wouldn't be bothered by one. My garden furniture was only £50 though from QD, it was a total bargain, so much nicer than a lot of the stuff I looked at.

Or maybe an HD TV, or a proper TV recording box, or maybe some lovely bedding and a new throw (and even new curtains if the budget went that far?).

Etymology23 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:11:22

(Also the house is a two up two down and it has 2 sets of speakers as well as a Bluetooth speaker and a radio, but I'm a bit of an audio but!)

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 04-Nov-17 21:43:05

I had a nice time playing with the Echo i've bought DH for his Christmas while he is out... grin

Doesn't have to be just one thing, You could get the Echo for fun and also usefulness and spend the rest on garden furniture or a kitchen island (with some nice knives?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now