Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need creative ideas for giving a gift that is somewhere else

(14 Posts)
GottaGetThisDone Fri 03-Nov-17 20:40:40

We have bought our DGC aged 8 and 6 a trampoline for their garden - something they have asked for. We picked it up yesterday and it came in 3 separate but very large and very very heavy boxes. We can keep them here at ours for a few weeks while my DD and DSiL actually move house but the plan is once they move in to new house they will have room to hide them till xmas, so I will take it over when DGC are at school.

DGC and their parents come to us on Boxing Day and they get all get their gifts then, DD is more than happy with this tradition because it means we get to see them open their gifts (Santa knows where the deliver the exact gifts) but this year their gift won't be here it will be at theirs ready to be build

I am looking for ideas as to how to 'give' the trampoline to them as their gift while it is actually in their parents house IYSWIM

I thought perhaps taking the actual rubber bit they bounce on and wrapping that with a picture of the trampoline.......but wondered if the great minds of the creatives of MN had any better/more fun ideas

Please and tia

elQuintoConyo Fri 03-Nov-17 21:14:28

Could you be there Christmas Eve setting it up in the garden once the dc have gone to bed? So it is ready when they get up.

Or wrap a photo/pop a photo in a stocking so thet can see what they are getting.

I have an American friend who was living here but had to relocate back to USA mid-December. Of course she had no tree, didn't buy presents just so she could ship them back to the US and the dc would have to wait 3 months! She has 4dc age 13-19. She bought gifts online and had them sent to her mother's house. Then she printed pictures of everything she bought and put them into little felt stockings that she then hung on their door handles one morning - 25th November, i think. Anyway it went down a storm - omg i'm getting a computer/Star Wars bedroom/Xbox etc.

Could you do something similar? Only you'd know if it would work with your dgc.

Isadora2007 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:17:50

What about a wee mini trampette for on the day... with an explanation afterwards?
Or a treasure hunt with lots of bouncing clues leading to the trampette- bounce, jump, boing, pogo, tigger, leap, tumble etc

KC225 Sat 04-Nov-17 03:28:17

Have a copy of the John Lewis Christmas add last year 'Bounce' with the dog watching the Dad ser up the trampoline for the daughter. You can find it on YOU Tube. Such a great ad. Tell your grandchilden it's a clue...... I think the idea of a mini trampoline is a great idea too.

Mallowmarshmallow Sat 04-Nov-17 06:54:58

Or make your own video....
If you set it up in Christmas Eve and it’s in a location they won’t see between then and when you see them... can you make a video or you bouncing on it making it obvious it’s in their garden and play it on tv on Christmas Day.

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Sat 04-Nov-17 07:34:52

A pass the parcel type thing to pass between the 2 of them with a token gift in each layer then a picture of their trampoline as the final layer

GottaGetThisDone Sat 04-Nov-17 08:31:06

Thank you for the ideas
Sadly it’s not possible to build it prior - I like the pass the parcel idea so may go with that
Thanks again

Dobbyandme Sat 04-Nov-17 09:13:55

Don't do the John Lewis add as a clue - they might think they're getting a dog!

elQuintoConyo Sat 04-Nov-17 18:52:51

Or how about print off a big, like A4, picture of a trampoline and glue it to card. Then cut into 9 squares or so and the dgc have to piece it together like a giant jigsaw!

I'm far too invested in this! I shall lut this thread on my 'to watch' list and hope you update us on Boxing day grin <sad elQuintoConyo>

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 04-Nov-17 20:45:04

I've bought my DD tickets to an event in the summer and the tickets will only be posted out just before the event. So I've had the same dilemma about how to tell her about her present without her actually getting it on the day. I've had a jigsaw made with the details of the event and there will be an instruction to make the jigsaw up on Christmas morning. She's 23 btw grin

GottaGetThisDone Sat 04-Nov-17 20:56:28

A jigsaw is a fab idea - thank you

TwentyChews Sat 04-Nov-17 21:17:27

Could you make a mini one? Plastic frisbee ring, stretch over an old pair of tights, a few pipe cleaners? Use Youtube..something like this? www.youtube.com/watch?v=toZvtvWPab4

Annwithnoe Sat 04-Nov-17 21:51:10

Photo of trampoline selotaped to a spring in a little gift box so when you lift the lid it boinnnnggs out.

peachy94 Sun 05-Nov-17 11:40:03

When we got a tranpoline my mum wrapped up the instructions 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now