Talk

Advanced search

Hamper gifts for someone doing slimming world

(48 Posts)
tootsieglitterballs Thu 02-Nov-17 09:08:46

Would like to do a gift box / hamper type thing of several small gifts (not necessarily food related) for MIL who has been on slimming world for the past few months.

She’s very strict about it and doesn’t really ever stray ‘off plan’ , she’s doing great on it.

It’s such a huge part of her / her life now.

Any suggestions of items we could get? I thought a nice shabby style chalkboard she can put her lbs lost / lbs to go on, a small pack of chocolates (she normally get a huge box of Thornton’s but know she won’t eat them this year!) , perhaps something nice for pampering , and now I’m stumped for ideas!

N.b - I don’t have time this year to make lots of little slimming world foods / chutneys / fudges etc as we are due DS2 in 3 weeks! Although it would have been great if we could!

ILikeThatSong123 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:34:36

I don't know what specific food items would be Slimming World approved but neutral items would be: Tea (not an ordinary brand but something special), a pretty mug, a cute little tea strainer, winter gloves, a book, a dvd, hair brush, mini perfume, a little notebook and pen, manicure set in a small purse, nail varnish if she uses such things, hand cream, a pretty hairbrush...

I have recently tried, for the very first time, Twinings White Tea with pomegranate. It has the most delicate, sweet aroma and mild pleasant taste. It was gorgeous. I couldn't find it in any major supermarkets so I'll be ordering for myself online. Its not loose, it's in individual sachets so it can be carried in the bag. I highly recommend it: www.twinings.co.uk/tea/delisted-products/white-tea-pomegranate-20-envelopes?gclid=CjwKCAjwhOvPBRBxEiwAx2nhLp821jHQoNlOHPthOuUwh3t3f8v1IIeoXkbU3DnDr4e1ys8Xkm6b5RoCPE0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Apparently this tea has been discontinued but it still sells in Amazon. Not for long i suppose.

Saladd0dger Thu 02-Nov-17 09:38:34

alpen light cereal bars, freddos, options hot chocolate sachets, beanies flavoured coffee

neddle Thu 02-Nov-17 11:27:15

Curly wurlys, mug shots, pasta n sauce. Hi fi bars if you can go into a group to get some (you don't have to be a member).
Fruit, a cookbook? They have loads at the groups. I have a journal from sw that I use a lot and they also have fridge notepad things and some pocket directories.

Migraleve Thu 02-Nov-17 11:30:56

If your MIL eats real food then please don’t give her dried up pasta crap - it’s has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. If she likes to cook have a look at JD seasonings, you could bulk things out with a few cooking bits, maybe use a pan or wok as the hamper base, stick in some utensils, cloths or oven glove etc.

CarrotVan Thu 02-Nov-17 11:35:58

I'd get her something not diet related. How about a voucher for a manicure, nice gloves, nail varnish, hand cream, pretty nail files etc

KC225 Thu 02-Nov-17 12:43:20

Please do not get her diet food related things. I know you mean well and clearly you are supportive but imagine the embarrassment of opening a basket of Alpine Lights and awful lo cal chocolate sachets. I would be so offered, it is not really the spirit of Christmas. As others have suggested, go down another route. How about a pamper basket, hand cream, face mask. bath oil, body lotion a good novel for in the bath. A book on inspirational quotes. Write her a note saying how pros you are and good she is looking

2014newme Thu 02-Nov-17 12:46:20

Do together her diet food stuff that's mean. There are a zillion nice thing happening you could get her rather than a chalkboard to write her weight loss on and chocolate that she's trying not to eat.
I don't understand the obsession with hampers

CocoPuffsinGodMode Thu 02-Nov-17 13:06:22

I’m with 2014 re the obsession with hampers on MN and I think posters get carried away with the idea of making their own but in reality the suggested contents are just a bit hmm. I mean why would she want to come home from slimming world and write her weight loss on a chalk board? Why would she bother?

IMO bits and bobs in a made up hamper just look like a pile of cheap rubbish, unless the giver has actually bought a load of high end items or a particular brand/brands you know the receiver will like and use. If you’re stumped for ideas Op then I’m afraid it’s not the great gift you think it’s is. Far better to think about an item she might like or an interest she has and buy something within your budget to suit.

2014newme Thu 02-Nov-17 13:08:34

^ this. Why people can't give gift that aren't in a hamper I don't know.

TieGrr Thu 02-Nov-17 13:11:50

How about a vouchers for a clothes shop so she can buy something to suit her new figure? Or a session with a personal stylist.

tootsieglitterballs Thu 02-Nov-17 13:52:03

Oh Gosh, wouldn’t dream of getting getting someone things like pasta sachets or slimming world bars... might as well just get her a voucher for muller lights!!

She makes all her own meals from scratch, so something like a nice new pan would be great base for a hamper - she has been going on about wanting one for ages. Also she wants a small cake bun tray (almost canapé size if you know what I mean) so I could get her something like that too.

The lbs lost sign is something she has seen before and wanted as a motivation , but she won’t treat herself.

We normally do a ‘gift box / hamper’ style thing of things she loves, plus a big present, however because of the slimming world, we know the edible bits we normally get will go to waste (she is very very strict on it).

So far I’ve got her some lovely hand cream, a small box of hotel chocolat chocolates, and will add in a small bottle of her favourite tipple. I’ll get her a nice wintery candle, and I thought a nice slightly dressier scarf may be nice now she has started dressing more to her new figure.

She would love homemade fudge and homemade chutneys etc, however I’m just not going to have time this year to experiment with some of the slimming world friendly recipes (and she won’t eat my normal versions as they aren’t on plan...)

tootsieglitterballs Thu 02-Nov-17 14:00:25

@2014newme good job I’m not doing it for you then really isn’t it!

We normally do her a hessian gift bag with lots of little bits & bobs in that we know she loves. We don’t package it as a ‘hamper’ , however it’s the best way to describe what I’m trying to achieve.
I’m very much in the camp of preferring to have all gifts wrapped individually, not in some cellophane wrapping you can see through, that is just naff in my opinion.

I’d rather get her things she would like, find useful, has made noises about wanting and won’t go to waste.

I’ll also add, her main gift is much more exciting.

tootsieglitterballs Thu 02-Nov-17 14:02:36

@ILikeThatSong123 that tea sounds lovely - some nice tea would go down well as she won’t treat herself to things like nice teas or coffees...

CryingShame Thu 02-Nov-17 14:02:52

Have a look in TK Maxx. They have nice make up bits, hair brushes, saucepans etc. Maybe a throw for the sofa or a nice scarf?

mirage937 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:24:04

is she into fitness/exercise what about a fitness tracker or something running related if she enjoys that or as recently started she might not want to spend money on it just yet.
or if she is into cooking a kitchen gadget, little gadgets like apple slicer/corer, banana slicer, egg slicer or a spiralizer or nutri bullet type thing
or maybe a subscription to a healthy lifestyle magazine
i have a really healthy df who doesn't like buying unhealthy food so will often gift super food type things which i couldn't justify spending money on otherwise like cacao nips, powders etc but understand these may not be for everyone

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Thu 02-Nov-17 14:27:44

Get something not SW related just incase she falls off plan. Diets like SW have huge failure and drop rates as they are simply not sustainable long term.

tootsieglitterballs Thu 02-Nov-17 14:30:11

@mirage937 she has made lots of noise about a fitness tracker actually - great idea.

She’s been doing it for about 8 months so far, and to be quite blunt, she’s actually a tad obsessed with it...

FoofFighter Thu 02-Nov-17 14:30:15

One year I did exMIL a hamper themed around her favourite colour, so everything was purple Made it easier to grab things I saw out and about and also led to a few things I probably wouldn't have thought of when I spotted them, TKMaxx was a fab place to go for ideas.

mirage937 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:35:59

for a fitness tracker i got a good deal for dh a few years ago around black friday

trixymalixy Thu 02-Nov-17 15:21:09

Some posh spices would be nice.

mirage937 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:25:52

ive just been browsing on the works website and they had a few slimming world recipe books and quite a few discount codes available for the site too

www.theworks.co.uk/?q=slimming%20world%20&top=7

goose1964 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:52:00

How about one of those pans that nothing sticks to. I'd love one

ChristmasSeacow Thu 02-Nov-17 22:01:01

I also have 'hamper fatigue', as in the mn obsession with the word, baskets and whatnot ... but nowt wrong with a pile of nice things! I've done SW and am doing it now. I'd suggest:

- nice tea /coffee, as a pp said
- posh or favourite chocs - she'll be able to have one or two within her syn allowance. If you are going to eat chocolate, might as well spend your allowance on the good stuff!
- some good spices. I recommend the Barts spice mixes that come in little silver tins. The harissa one is lovely, as is the Cajun one. Good for lots of SW recipes (or indeed non-SW)
- you can buy silicone ice lolly moulds (in the shape of Callippos) that she could use to make 'free' ice lollies. Can get them on Amazon but also Ikea sell them cheaper.

Otherwise I agree with others - nice beauty stuff like nail polish etc. Looking after one's appearance helps to reinforce the effort of losing weight, iyswim.

hoyhoy44 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:38:29

i got a nice colourful set of cup measurements, including tea spoon and table spoon etc a few years ago, very useful present and not something i would think to spend loads on myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now