Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

14yo girl - MacBook Air?

(63 Posts)
CedricDiggory Wed 01-Nov-17 22:35:16

Hi I hope this is okay to post here I’m just after a bit of advice.

I’m currently 13 but will be 14 by Christmas. This year I’m really fancying a MacBook Air 13”. I know that this is a huge thing and if I do have it then it will be my only present. I have been wanting one for almost a year now.

I have lots of reasons for wanting a laptop, specifically a MacBook. I’m currently in year 9, so I have my GCSEs coming up next year. I have a lot of homework because of this. I need a laptop to be able to do my work on.

I have an iPhone and iPad already so I think a MacBook would be ideal to sinc all of my data on and to store photos as my phone storage is quite small. From my MacBook I would be able to FaceTime people and iMessage them. For me this is a big part because most of my friends use apple devices so I can talk to them on that. I do however have my phone and iPad that I can do both of these things on.

A man I was talking to in Apple said that it could easily last me until uni and it is very durable. I want to believe this but as it came from the salesman trying to sell me a MacBook I find it hard to believe.

I want to be able to use the internet, watch Netflix, play games (only sims really), do schoolwork, video call and use social media.

I am aware that you can do nearly all of this on just a normal laptop and that’s where I’m stuck.

I know we could afford a MacBook but probably not comfortably.
I also love having things to unwrap on Christmas Day - if I have a MacBook it will be just that.

So, have you got any advice or laptop recommendations for me please?
Anything would be greatly appreciated smile

CedricDiggory Wed 01-Nov-17 23:21:14

Bump ?

Worldsworstcook Thu 02-Nov-17 00:01:12

MacBooks are fab, I will give you that!
If you do decide to go down that route see if you can purchase using the Apple education discounts - you may need a teacher, college student or uni student to help you with this but the savings are big - cancels most if not all of the vat. Also then the AppleCare is a fraction of its full cost. I have a MacBook Pro - 4 years now and going strong. My DH has iMacs but he's lucky to get 4 yrs out of them before they die. We have always loved Apple products but tbh are increasingly moving towards dell laptops, reliable, durable, much cheaper and still offering educational discounts which inc school age pupils. It pains me to say I don't think Apple products are as wonderful as they were 😫BUT they never crash and don't get hacked and you don't get stupid warnings about missing files and drivers and Apple support is brilliant.

Worldsworstcook Thu 02-Nov-17 00:04:51

www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/campaigns/education_pricing

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 02-Nov-17 00:06:48

😂

haba Thu 02-Nov-17 00:12:47

How much do your parents usually spend on you at Christmas? Because a macbook air is a serious amount of money!
Regarding longevity- mine has been going for three years, still immaculate, no issues. I had a macbook before that, no issues in seven years, but it became v v slow to run, so upgraded.
However, schoolwork will require ms office suite (word, excel, PowerPoint agghhhh) and they aren't on Mac's as standard. You can buy them, but as they're ported, I don't think they're optimised for Mac.
As you have iPhone and iPad already, you may be better off getting a workhorse laptop for a fraction of the cost.

PJBanana Thu 02-Nov-17 10:31:59

Maybe look into the prices for second hand MacBook Airs? I’ve had mine for 4 years, it still works perfectly but I’m thinking of selling mine on and upgrading. I could probably sell mine now for around £300-400.

Could be worth a look on eBay and Facebook selling pages. Buying one brand new would cost so much.

FlowerPot1234 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:41:44

I think a brand new MacBook Air is too much of a luxury product to give to children and would be an overkill in terms of design and functionality for what you need. A far, far cheaper laptop would do everything you need, and I would hope you would not expect your parents to buy you such an extravagant gift, as you admit, this isn't even something which your parents could comfortably afford and you could manage to do everything you need on a much cheaper laptop.

When you are older and spending your own money, work hard and earn hard and then you could get one.

itusedtobeverydifferent Thu 02-Nov-17 10:52:21

I bought myself a refurbished MacBook (not air) from amazon. It’s perfect and was £200.

SuperFurrySasquatch Thu 02-Nov-17 16:53:17

Hmm, you have given all the reasons not to have one yourself Cedric. The truth is, you don't need one and if we spent that huge amount of money on you then we would have to spend an equivalent amount on your brother and you also want a foreign holiday next year and a trip to France with school. Unfortunately we do not have a bottomless money pit!

I do think that you were very truthful and mature in your post and I am very proud that you are mine 💖

Dozer Thu 02-Nov-17 16:54:29

No need for a young teen to have one of those.

Dozer Thu 02-Nov-17 16:55:47

grin Cedric’s mum!

SuperFurrySasquatch Thu 02-Nov-17 16:58:07

grin

beepboopbeep Thu 02-Nov-17 17:01:44

Cedric - settle for something else for now and look forward to a MacBook when you go to uni. You'll get a student discount and PayPal do a good payment plan. I'm very old and I've just done it for myself! smile

I hope you get something lovely instead.

Fekko Thu 02-Nov-17 17:05:15

Cedric - are you actually fekkosson?

SuperFurrySasquatch Thu 02-Nov-17 17:09:45

No Fekko, Cedric is my DD. She told me about this thread today and I came to have a nose. I'm not convinced she's old enough for MN but she loves it!!

Fekko Thu 02-Nov-17 17:11:56

Blimey she's eloquent! I've been getting the same story from DS (also 13).

Fekko Thu 02-Nov-17 17:12:59

Apparently refurb ones are pretty good if you get them from a reputable supplier.

RosyWelshcakes Thu 02-Nov-17 17:15:14

No need for a young teen to have one of those

My 12 year granddaughter has had one for year. She puts it to very good use.

SuperFurrySasquatch Thu 02-Nov-17 17:17:03

They want it all Fekko and they don't really understand that it's not always possible. As much as we want them to have the things they want we just can't always do it. Every time she talks about it I feel a bit sick tbh because it is the only thing she wants. Maybe point your DS in this direction. See what his reaction is.

Fekko Thu 02-Nov-17 17:22:20

Ah now the boy is very lucky because we have some very generous relatives who sent him money for doing well in a bunch of exams and as an early Christmas present.

It's a fair chunk of the price of one and he was told that he could either spend it on Pokemon cards stuff or put it towards a MacBook. He is a lucky boy and we are lucky to have such nice family--who spoil him rotten--.

www.wowcher.co.uk/deal/london/5779855/apple-macbook-air-499?usr_src=search

Worldsworstcook Thu 02-Nov-17 20:54:34

Cedric s mum!! You pose a fab counter argument there. She's a lovely articulate lady.

She should maybe consider a career in law arguing for the defence in court. Very articulate!

Dozer Fri 03-Nov-17 06:58:01

rosy an 8-12 year old doesn’t need one either. Some DC may have and enjoy macbooks, but it’s a luxury good and there are decent laptops available to do what DCs need for much less money. Unless one is rolling in cash and can easily afford it it’s an OTT gift.

OP if your DC is asking for lots of material things (including travel - experiences cost too as you say) and being thoughtless about her parents, perhaps some info on financial reality. Eg what, at 14, she might currently be able to earn for paid work, to help her see what SHE might be able to afford when she earns it or saves for it herself. Won’t be a macbook!

00100001 Fri 03-Nov-17 07:03:00

"they never crash"???

What utter bollocks.

Macs crash, get malware and do go kaput.

They're good, yes, but them so is a Windows laptop of the same price

00100001 Fri 03-Nov-17 07:06:12

OP, why don't you save up some money and buy one yourself?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now