Talk

Advanced search

Do you think it's wrong for people to buy must have toys and sell them at huge profit on EBay etc?

(283 Posts)
lottieandmia22 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:53:27

I do. I think it’s pretty mercenary.

DixieNormas Wed 01-Nov-17 21:56:11

Yes but if people are mad enough to buy them...

gillybeanz Wed 01-Nov-17 21:58:34

No, it's just taking advantage of an opportunity.
They take the risk that somebody will buy the product just the same as a shop, market stall, or online shop etc.
If people are then daft enough to pay over the top if the price is higher, then more fool them.

Branleuse Wed 01-Nov-17 21:59:49

Capitalism innit, but then so is most of christmas

ducktale Wed 01-Nov-17 22:09:40

It’s like the toy version of ticket touts, pretty skanky

lottieandmia22 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:10:29

Obviously it’s true that things are worth what people will pay. But taking advantage of people who don’t want their child to be disappointed on Christmas is quite mean. People will say oh it’s a life skill. But children are only little for a short time and they grow up all too quickly and discover the reality of life.

Some children (like mine) have limited interests. And the ‘must have’ toy is the only thing they really wanted.

lottieandmia22 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:11:26

I had the opportunity to buy an extra toy but there is no way I would do it. It’s not ethical.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 01-Nov-17 22:12:16

It's quite easy to research early on what the must have toys will be.

lottieandmia22 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:13:28

True MyDC. Although you can’t be sure which one your dc will want. In the case of the LOL toy I don’t think that was predicted.

GymBunnieWannabe Wed 01-Nov-17 22:13:56

Yes. I couldn't do it because it's essentially taking toys from children, or only allowing those children who have more wealthy parents to have the toys. All for the sellers own greed.

GymBunnieWannabe Wed 01-Nov-17 22:15:51

Plus it's easy saying 'you can see what the must have toys are and Hager them early but me for example, I have to do park vouchers to pay for Christmas. I get them about Nov 7th which means the 'It's toys are already oos everywhere by the time i can buy them.

GymBunnieWannabe Wed 01-Nov-17 22:16:30

Hager??? I tyoed 'buy' how strange.

Anecdoche Wed 01-Nov-17 22:18:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gillybeanz Wed 01-Nov-17 22:18:30

It depends on if you are soft enough to buy the toy though.
I wouldn't go over the top for a toy, even with limited interests.
Surely you'd use Christmas as a time to nurture and encourage other interests, rather than give in and pay over the top.
Buying early/ at the same time as those willing to charge over the top for toys is the way to go.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 01-Nov-17 22:23:31

Gym you would be better putting the same amount into a bank. Nationwide offers 5% annual on their regular savings account.

Draylon Wed 01-Nov-17 22:31:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starzig Wed 01-Nov-17 22:33:44

Nope. If people are willing to pay x+y, then that becomes market value. If you bought a house for 200k would it be unethical to sell it for 300k if someone was willing to pay. If you were selling a car and someone offered 3k would you say 'no can't possibly, it is only worth 2k'

starzig Wed 01-Nov-17 22:34:34

We'll said draylon

lottieandmia22 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:54:40

‘My colleague KNOWS full well that these presents aren't treasured by these kids’

I’ve seen LOADS of threads on mumsnet where posters say they always wanted a Mr Frosty but didn’t get one. I think children do appreciate it if you get them what they asked for. Actually my daughter never usually asks for must have toy. She does have ASD so I feel I have to get what she asks for tbh as she won’t forget!

lottieandmia22 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:56:07

‘ If you bought a house for 200k would it be unethical to sell it for 300k if someone was willing to pay’

No because presumably you didn’t take it off a child so you could sell it at profit...

MamaOfTwos Wed 01-Nov-17 22:58:39

My business is buying and reselling. Pays my bills and feeds DC, so yep YABU. It's basic business

lottieandmia22 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:01:07

Er this is not YABU

starzig Wed 01-Nov-17 23:11:53

But buying and selling for profit is the same no matter what the commodity is. If a parent can't afford something then the child has to learn to go without.

starzig Wed 01-Nov-17 23:11:54

But buying and selling for profit is the same no matter what the commodity is. If a parent can't afford something then the child has to learn to go without.

RunningOutOfCharge Wed 01-Nov-17 23:15:00

No. It’s fine confused

First come first served

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: