Talk

Advanced search

Good quality photo books

(12 Posts)
Finlaggan Wed 01-Nov-17 11:34:10

Hi any recommendations for good quality photo books? Ideally One I don’t have to download software...

I used to use my publisher who were fantastic but the exchange rate is so bad they will be expensive, also think they’re called something else now...

Thanks for all suggestions!

Casablanca78 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:41:35

Ive tried a few but keep going back to use photobox, the quality is really good

Justabadwife Wed 01-Nov-17 13:36:16

I use photobox too. Infact i did my wedding album on photobox 😁

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 02-Nov-17 07:01:01

There's an app called 'free prints' and they have a sister site called 'free photo books' - you get one free a month but pay for postage (£6). The first one I got a free hardcover upgrade, it just uses the photos off your phone, Facebook etc. I was really impressed with the quality, provided the picture resolution is good. I'm making one for each of my little nieces and nephews with photos of their family (like picture books, you can add text to each page) as their Christmas gifts.

Polyanthus Thu 02-Nov-17 07:06:00

We always use cewe- been v happy with them

powerjen Thu 02-Nov-17 07:19:45

I am a very big fan of bobbooks. Really beautiful quality photo books and they usually have a 25% off offer in the run up to Christmas. I’ve never been impressed by photo box (always found the quality a bit meh) but I’ve never ordered from their higher end more expensive range so that might be ok.

ShiftyMcGifty Thu 02-Nov-17 07:19:45

Bob books in 300gsm photo paper are best for quality but they are very pricey compared to the photo box types. They feel like a bound book of photos because most "photo books" are just printed on thin, cheap paper.
Here's an explanation of their papers. (Regular print paper has a weight of 90gsm and the hardboard craft paper is usually 200, just to give you an idea)

16th October 2012
Bob Books currently offers 6 paper types, Classic, Gloss coated, Matte, Lustre photographic, Gloss photographic and Matte photographic paper.

Classic Paper

Our original paper offers superb quality 200gsm classic paper, printed using top of the range HP Indigo 7000 printers. The paper is perfect bound with either hardback or paperback cover and has a gorgeous satin finish.

Gloss coated Paper

Our gloss-coated paper books are produced to the same high quality as our classic paper. They are printed using top of the range HP Indigo 7000 printers on 200gsm paper. Once printed, the pages are treated with a high-gloss finish.

Matte paper

Our matte paper books are produced using Kodak Nexpress high density printers on 170 gsm paper.

Gloss photographic paper

Your images are exposed onto the 300 gsm Fuji lustre photographic paper and then developed through traditional chemical photographic processes with high-shine professional finish.

Lustre photo graphic paper

Your images are exposed onto the 300 gsm Fuji photographic paper and then developed through traditional chemical photographic processes with a soft, textured finish.

Matte photographic paper

Your images are exposed onto the 300 gsm Fuji matte photographic paper and then developed through traditional chemical photographic processes with a soft matte finish.

Our Classic, Gloss-coated and Matte paper books features end papers used to join the cover of your book to the inlay are 120gsm. As this is stock paper, we can not print on these pages. With appropriate storage and careful treatment, papers of this kind will ensure your Bob Book will be age-resistant.

ShiftyMcGifty Thu 02-Nov-17 07:20:13

Cross posted grin

Spam88 Thu 02-Nov-17 07:26:59

I used CEWE lay flat books for wedding albums and the quality was brilliant. I did have to download software but I found that better really because you don’t have to wait for your photos to upload or worry about having internet access.

I do use Photobox as well, only ever for the softcover ones, but I agree with a PP that the quality is pretty poor.

Tugtupite Thu 02-Nov-17 07:28:29

I'm doing one now using blurb (not the first time I've used them). The quality and flexibility is superb, but I'm looking at £100 a copy so it better be! The last one I did was a family history book and was truly heirloom standard except for my typos so high hopes.

Finlaggan Thu 02-Nov-17 20:27:20

Thanks everyone I’ll check them out.

PerfumeIsAMessage Thu 02-Nov-17 20:32:12

Albelli were the absolute best but have now been taken over by someone else so don't know what they are like now.
Photo box are definitely better than Boots, Tesco, Truprint, Bonus print and Vistaprint. I've had stuff from all of them but Photobox is much better quality.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: