Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

American Girl Doll - where did you buy yours?

(9 Posts)
cowssheephens Wed 01-Nov-17 09:17:23

I thinking about buying one for DD. She loves watching them on YouTube and chats about them constantly, but would never ask for one due to the cost.

I've seen new ones for sale on eBay by American sellers but worried I might end up with a fake. DD has special needs and would now if something wasn't quite right with the doll. Do you mind sharing where you bought yours from please? Trying to buy and get one sent over as cheap as possible. Thanks.

13luckyblackcats Wed 01-Nov-17 14:10:34

So far I have only bought second hand off eBay (and even then they’re expensive!), but if you want new for a Christmas present then I think the best way to do it is via the American Girl website because at least then you know for definite what you’re getting, plus they sometimes have offers on the clothes-I found this
*International Shipping
Shipping and processing rates are for the U.S. and its possessions. For international rates, e-mail us at intlservice@americangirl.com, or from outside the U.S., call 011-608-831-5210 or fax 011-608-828-4790. Recipient is responsible for all taxes and duties*

Our Generation accessories work nicely with AG dolls and you can pick them up easily from Amazon or Petalina dolls (UK based) online.

moominsareace Wed 01-Nov-17 15:03:41

I can recommend the Our Generation dolls which, I think, are the same size as AG (and a fraction of the cost). I appreciate that this isn't what your DD has asked for, but OG is easily available over here and, if necessary, maybe you could at least use the OG accessories and clothes as an additional present?

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 01-Nov-17 15:04:58

Smyths sell our generation dolls.

Llamacorn Wed 01-Nov-17 18:40:54

I bought dd an American girl doll last year from doll boutique
Definitely genuine, but rather expensive. When I factored in shipping from the US though (they do ship internarionally) it worked out a slightly less price. Was able to get the dolls ears pierced and the hairbrush etc too.
The doll is amazing quality and dd is very happy with it. She is happy to use our Generation clothes and accessories with her doll though. She plays with her every day and she still looks like brand new.

dantdmistedious Wed 01-Nov-17 18:57:19

America which isn’t helpful I realise. Dts has been banging on about them for ages - Our Generation aren’t the same according to them.

Apart from nearly feinting at the cost of them they are lovely dolls, the clothes are beautiful and the dts love them.

Raver84 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:06:18

Got mine in the americian girl store whilst in new York. It was an amazing shop but tbh... over priced. My dd got into them over there in 2015, she still loves them now and watxhws them on u tube....but I've moved onto getting her designa friends from argos. If you do get an americian girl a company called frilly lilly does clothes that fit the dolls, mini school uniforms etc. The designa friends clothes are tight on Ag and our generation too big. The accessories from designa friends are good also look at journey girl from toys r us. Amazon do some great Ag books that are really good reads and reasonably priced. John lewis have three Ag style dolls in at the memanet we have one called sophie who is lovely il post a link in a second. .

Raver84 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:07:39

m.johnlewis.com/search?search-term=John+lewis+collector+doll

mumsiedarlingrevolta Wed 01-Nov-17 21:14:32

If your DD wants an American Girl doll I'd just be cautious over the Our Generation dolls as my DD did not think they looked alike...
You can get lots of clothes and accessories online for American Girl Dolls that are people making them-much cheaper and lots of variety.
I did get my DD's from the American Girl doll store in New York but over the years bought loads of clothes/accessories/bits off eBay etc.
They are expensive but my DD def got moneys worth out of it....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now