Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

7 / 8 year old girl gifts

(18 Posts)
Mytribeof3 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:43:41

Hoping for some ideas for gifts for my daughter 7, nearly 8 years old. She has never really been interested in toys and the only thing she really engages with is lego (occasionally) and colouring and writing - so she has plenty of stationary / nice books etc. She has plenty of books but isn't yet keen on reading anything other than her school book, although we will still get a few to encourage this.
We may get her a new bike as she's outgrown her current one, and I've got her a couple of nice things for her bedroom.
Just wondered if anybody else has a daughter that is similar and have any suggestions on what I can get her to open on Christmas Day and her birthday?

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Tue 31-Oct-17 10:47:43

We've got one those my dream puppies - it moves and barks etc. Also a nerf crossbow and a karaoke machine. Lots of books - the wimpy kid set is a favourite, or harry potter. Actually anything Harry Potter - she's obsessed.

angelawilliams Tue 31-Oct-17 10:48:05

It sounds like you should really stick with the bedroom related things! My little one is currently obsessed with unicorns, there are so many unicorn related things online right now it's great! Even though she isn't keen on reading I'd say to definitely buy her a few, even if she doesn't appreciate it right away she will in the longer term. My daughter is 9 and she only really started getting into reading this year. The Jacqueline Wilson ones are brill!! x

Dolceandgabbana14 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:51:52

What about audio books? The Book People do lots for children and often do offers.

My DD is getting a Sew Cool pink machine from the Entertainer, was a half price bargain. Also bought Cloud Pets at a ridiculous £6 each, also from Entertainer. New Trolls dvd - short film - comes out this month. My dd is 7.

FoxInABox Tue 31-Oct-17 12:56:52

My dd is 7, she sounds like quite similar to yours in that she doesn’t play with toys but loves stationery. She’s getting the crayola ultimate tub of colour, silly scents marker maker, my fairy garden, gel a peel, cutie stix, cra-z-gels, fabric pens & plain t shirts/canvas bags etc to decorate. Slime and putty are also big hits this year too!

Ricekrispie22 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:41:05

I have a similar problem with my DD. So she's getting:
A sewing kit (to make a little purse)
A secret diary
Her first watch
This 'doodle your own' bag www.wickeduncle.co.uk/presents/girls/age-8/doodle-designer-accessory-bag-2

You might be interested in two brands from whom I've bought things for my DD in the past
Eat Sleep Doodle and Eggnog

MooseyMoo Tue 31-Oct-17 17:13:39

Does she have a water colouring set? Hobby craft have one for £7 and is perfect for beginners. Just checked and it's out of stock online but the pearlescent one is available and the paints are lovely.

You would need watercolour paper as well.

There's a few techniques to play with i.e using salt, clingfilm and screwed up tissue paper.

Mytribeof3 Tue 31-Oct-17 18:20:03

Some great suggestions here, thank you. I was considering a water colouring set actually and perhaps some Harry Potter stuff. Would you say the first 2 films are suitable at this age? She seems keen to watch it so I may get her the boxset.

Littlestchristmastree Tue 31-Oct-17 19:05:24

She sounds very much like my dd. Dd is getting a kareoke machine, harry Potter and horrible history box sets, some art books, water colour pencils, calligraphy set, vet set from asda similar to our generation dolls. She wants one of those little live pet cuddles kittens but I don't think she will play with it so I'm discouraging it tbh.

CappuccinoCake Tue 31-Oct-17 19:20:39

camera?
art kits from the range.

CocoPuffsinGodMode Tue 31-Oct-17 19:34:53

I’d say the first two HP films should be ok for her.

If she likes drawing and writing might she also like some craft stuff? DD is 8 and loves to do things like scrap books, decorate photo frames, random button art type things. A box of bits and bobs to use goes down well here.

You say she sometimes plays with Lego. DD loves Lego elves, the cartoon series is on Netflix if you wanted to see if she’d be interested? Though I should warn you that you may be sorry - those nice people at Lego helpfully hmm bring out new sets for them to go crazy over at Christmas!

I’d second the audio books suggestion. Also, does she have a CD player. Or something more modern possibly, I admit I have low tech kids wink.

Other than those I’d say nice cushions etc for her room or maybe a cute throw to wrap up in while watching tv on a weekend morning.

hereandnowtoday Tue 31-Oct-17 20:54:11

Sounds similar to my DD, she's getting a CD player to dance around in her room, and some audiobooks. Or what about an MP3 player/iPod, Kindle Fire? A craft table or desk with lots of accessories? Secret lockable diary? My DD is also desperate for some of those hair chalks (that wash out) and glitter tattoo kits.

shebebutlittle Wed 01-Nov-17 14:17:35

I'm getting DD7 some Shopkins, a new scooter and a Pillow Pet. Considering a fitbit type thingy.

I also have a Harry Potter obsessive, so I have a onesie from Primark and a great name keyring from Etsy

IHeartKingThistle Wed 01-Nov-17 14:22:53

Disco light?

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Wed 01-Nov-17 14:24:18

I have the same problem with my dd, 10. No ideas for this year, but got her a 3d pen (3doodler start) last year that she loved.

shebebutlittle Tue 14-Nov-17 14:48:22

Oh, DD6 gave me a great idea the other day. She wants 'like a wooden suitcase that opens out with MILLIONS of pencils in it!'.

Found the perfect pencil-filled art case at the Works for only £10. She's going to love it! smile

QuopQuop Wed 15-Nov-17 09:26:12

Similar to my DD
I am going to get her some Garry Potter bits and some posters for her room (little mix fan) and going to get her tickets for Aladdin in London. She prefers experience gifts!

As for the Harry Potter films I think they are fine, my DD and DS5 has seen them all and loved them!

duriandurian Wed 15-Nov-17 11:55:16

I (well Father Christmas) have bought my 8 year old a mermaid blanket, a fingerling and a disco light projector from toys r us (bought to top up postage, am debating it). I am also debating a Prinark reversible sequin cushion. Probably get a bath bomb too. Washi tape, some kawaii pens/keyrings.
I bought her the box set of Harry Potter books for the summer and we are gradually watching the films on appletv. I actually think immaturity has helped her overlook some of the sadder stuff that I think she will find harder when she is older (was anxious about this and monitored). She has also subsequently been enjoying the Ruby Redfort series.
She will be asking for money towards her saving up for an iPod for stories and music from relatives if they ask (renting a small house, v lucky kids with too much stuff already).
My husband and I will give clothes, shiny pumps, books and bath foam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now