Talk

Advanced search

Keeping a just turned 2 year old entertained at the table on Christmas Day

(16 Posts)
Confuseddotcomsmum Mon 30-Oct-17 06:59:54

Just wondered if anyone has any good ideas to keep a two year old who doesn't eat much at the table for longer than ten minutes on Christmas Day..it would be nice to sit a bit longer with everyone! Thank you.

SoupDragon Mon 30-Oct-17 07:01:27

Set up a corner of the room with toys and let them play there when they've finished eating.

BikeRunSki Mon 30-Oct-17 07:02:24

Colouring would have worked for my DD, but not my DS.
Wind up toys - we have some racing Santas that came out of a cracker a few years ago.

Does she have to be at the table? Could she play by herself nearby?

Believeitornot Mon 30-Oct-17 07:03:07

It’s Christmas. Let them get down and play.

Athrawes Mon 30-Oct-17 07:03:07

Don’t. Xmas is about the kids, let her play and be played with. Have the adults take turns to play with her, fueled with gin (adults not the kid).

Allthepinkunicorns Mon 30-Oct-17 07:04:48

I let my ds go and play once he had had enough of his dinner so I and everyone else could enjoy our dinner in peace. I wouldn't expect a 2 year old to sit for long especially when they have lots of new things to explore and play with.

trilbydoll Mon 30-Oct-17 07:05:29

Someone bought DD a noisy peppa pig book when she was 20mo and she happily sat at the table for ages with it.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Mon 30-Oct-17 07:11:14

I'd rather let them go and play than have Peppa honking away at the table!

AnnaBay Mon 30-Oct-17 07:34:39

Let them eat and then go and play.
Like pp above, I wouldn't expect a 2 year to sit through a potentially long, drawn out meal.

MuddlingThroughLife Mon 30-Oct-17 08:38:37

Christmas is the only day of the year I used to let my kids get away with not eating their veg and leaving the table before everyone else. They are now 16, 13 and 10 so not an issue any more (apart from the sprouts lol).

mouldycheesefan Mon 30-Oct-17 08:43:01

Yes when ours were 2 we had dinner in the evening after they went to bed. A lovely sophisticated adults meal without high chairs and toddlers chucking food or needing supervision. At that age kids don't care about Christmas dinner there are plenty of other aspects of Xmas that are for children. Our children started having Christmas dinner with us age 4. They love Christmas dinner now!

NerrSnerr Mon 30-Oct-17 08:46:14

If they have to sit up the table would stickers work? If not I’d let them play nearby.

Brighteyes27 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:01:47

To be fair my two have always been pretty good at sitting at the table they do this at home and as we have no sitters they are used to going out for meals and sitting at the table. We talk and include them and if others are there they love the attention.
My DD was flower girl at 22 months old and I had no expectations but thought the worst but was was astounded by her. She had a cuddle in church and slept in my arms through a very long service. She was fine at the reception even though the food took forever to be served. She ate soup herself (she has always been very independent) and was so hungry polished off much of her child’s main course. Had one trip to the loo but she was more than happy to be at the table for the duration of the meal and speeches. I took mini snacks (which didn’t last long) and had various mini toys and books just incase she or her slightly older brother got bored but they were both great. Your daughter might surprise you. Especially as it’s christmas and everyone should be focusing on her for much of the time. Failing that if she is a fidget let her play nearby. Try not to stress beforehand (as I did before the Christmas wedding).

KC225 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:05:01

Agree with the others, at that age my twins were full on wriggling dynamos. I'd let them have a run about between courses. Have what ever they are into at the table perhaps wrapped in tissue paper. stickers, colouring. Anything small and non messy just the keep them amused. It for easier as they got older. For a few years they were obsessed with Christmas crackers.

Confuseddotcomsmum Mon 30-Oct-17 17:48:06

Thanks for everyone's replies, certainly gives me food for thought! Wrapping a few bits up for her to unwrap at the table will help but I guess after that, the majority of you are right saying let her down from the table. I suppose I am just perhaps thinking of the older members of the family who may think they should sit and not be heard! grin. Although to be fair that is probably doing them a disservice!

whimsical1975 Mon 30-Oct-17 19:20:33

The only thing that keeps my little 2 year old niece at the table is letting her watch Peppa Pig or similar on YouTube on one of our mobiles once she's finished eating. My own DC's used to play with play doh (now 10 and 12) and that kept them busy for quite a while.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: