Talk

Advanced search

23rd December - open house

(8 Posts)
Dailystuck71 Sun 29-Oct-17 15:07:58

We usually do a meal on Boxing Day for about 10/12 friends but this year as most are back to work the next day we’ve decided to have an open house for those friends and some more on the Saturday before Christmas. Christmas day being the Monday.

I thought it was a good idea but the reality of what food to provide when potentially people are popping in and out is difficult.

So, basically, what food would you do. I hate a beige buffet.

Dailystuck71 Sun 29-Oct-17 15:08:31

I thought about a big bowl of tortillas topped with chilli and extra cheese, guacamole etc.

BigApple11 Sun 29-Oct-17 15:12:52

Mini toad in the holes

Can you borrow a couple of slowcookers? Chilli, curry plus veggie ones if needed. Lots of bread. Bowls of salad. Various 'trimmings' bits to go alongside. Mince pies. Mulled wine.

Fresh01 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:38:59

We have a neighbour who does this each year. Crisps, nuts, shortbread and mince pies lying around the room. Then they do large roasting tins full of sausages along with a couple of large joints of beef. You literally get a bread roll with either sausage or a slice of beef in it. Some cooked shopped onion if you want on top. Then a tray sitting with sauces and mustards. It is lovely and easy to eat whilst standing - paper napkins so no plates or cutlery. Kids and adults like it.

They have two pans of mulled wine on the go - one alcoholic and one not.

They do from 1-4pm with the aim of most people having left by 5pm.

Dailystuck71 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:10:58

Thanks all for some ideas.

lumpit Tue 31-Oct-17 13:49:50

My parents have an open house on boxing day (people in and out from about 11am to early the next morning) and normally go for

- a joint of ham or two
- a few trays of the nice bits of a christmas dinner (i.e. pigs in blankets)
- mounds of cheese and biscuits
- a few individual sweet bits like mince pies, chocolates, biscuits etc
And lots and lots of alcohol

Taffeta Tue 31-Oct-17 16:07:56

We are having our annual Christmas party on 23rd also this year. 60-70 people.

My golden rule is never to serve hot food. We have a big open plan downstairs, which is ideal for parties and I can prep food easily whilst chatting. What I can’t do is concentrate on oven timings so I gave up on hot food years ago.

I usually do a lot of canapés which I prep to a point beforehand - eg this year I will make lobster rolls - I’ll make the lobster mix ahead and toast the rolls but not put them together til the last minute. Lots of strong cheese with veg on something - eg Stilton walnut pear drizzle honey on a little cracker or toasted thingy. Mozzarella tomato basil etc with balsamic on a stick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now