Talk

Advanced search

Board games (yes I know you've been asked this 287363 times)

(60 Posts)
OvOntToSuckYourBlood Sat 28-Oct-17 22:38:41

I can't work advanced search properly to search in the Christmas topic. All those >>>>> and <<<<< and nothing actually happens when I click on the topic.

So now there's one more thread about board games! fgrin

What's your favourites? Board or card or anything like that.

And if you could rate them how family friendly they are that would be great. With 1 being 'Walton Family Time' and 10 being 'We didn't speak for 3 years after playing".

Thanking you muchly.

Caulk Sat 28-Oct-17 22:40:54

Top ones for families with over 8s - labyrinth, great game of Britain, escape from Atlantis, quirkle, dibble, carcasson, settlers. All 8/10 upwards.

As always, I suggest visiting your local board game cafe and trying some games so you know what you like as a family.

Caulk Sat 28-Oct-17 22:41:27

Sorry, I mean they score hightly,
1/2 out of ten for Walton family time.

Caulk Sat 28-Oct-17 22:41:57

Oh and ticket to ride. But not uk/Pennsylvania because it’s hard.

MrsJamin Sat 28-Oct-17 22:44:30

I love carcassonne, it is as simple or complicated as you like, really. If you have a local games shop I'd definitely recommend going. In Reading we have eclectic games which is utterly brilliant and has a huge range of board games which the staff know backwards and can recommend themselves.

IvorHughJarrs Sat 28-Oct-17 22:45:39

Mine are adults and the biggest hit of last year was Cards Against Humanity. We've also discovered a whole new wicked side to some family and friends!

OvOntToSuckYourBlood Sat 28-Oct-17 22:46:02

There's board game cafes? fshock

I'm in Edinburgh so I'm hopeful there'll be one here!

Caulk Sat 28-Oct-17 22:46:52

www.noughtsandcoffees.co.uk/phone/index.html

OvOntToSuckYourBlood Sat 28-Oct-17 22:51:41

Thank you! fgrinfgrinfgrin

I'm genuinely so happy. I've just done puppy dog eyes at my DH and he says he'll go with me (he's not much for games)!

Etymology23 Sun 29-Oct-17 08:39:01

For older ones I like Pandemic (collaborative), would second carcassone and labyrinth, and also recommend flux. I enjoy ticket to ride and great game of Britain as well but we have found the latter can cause frustration - we had to alter rules so one person couldn't be trapped forever.

cece Sun 29-Oct-17 08:42:31

Scotland Yard - fun but a bit complicated to start with!

MiddleAgedMother Sun 29-Oct-17 08:48:29

Articulate, blokes, scrabble here!
All love Jenga too - not strictly board games but .....

TheTurnOfTheScrew Sun 29-Oct-17 08:48:40

my 6yo can manage carcasonne and labyrinth. And Exploding Kittens.
10yo's favourites are the Discworld one (better than it sounds, enough chance elements to give younger ones a good chance of winning) and Splendour.

OvOntToSuckYourBlood Sun 29-Oct-17 14:32:08

Suggestions like Jenga are definitely appreciated too, Middle. Really any games that a family can play. We don't actually have Jenga so that's one for the list!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I plan to google them all!

Taffeta Sun 29-Oct-17 14:58:19

Our favourite is still Happy Families!

QuopQuop Sun 29-Oct-17 19:30:32

Articulate

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 29-Oct-17 19:50:06

I bought Cards Against Humanity ( we have a 15.6 DD and a near 18yo DS) so not small DC.
DS flicked through the cards and point blank refused to play this game with his Mother even though he'll watch Russell Howard, Game of Thrones, The Last Leg etc quite happily with DH and I.

Mine like Christmas Dominoes
We have Cluedo (Sherlock Holmes edition)

Still not tried The Big Bang Theory game yet <<blows dust off box>>

MadamMinacious Sun 29-Oct-17 21:00:11

Monopoly Go card game, - 7
Exploding Kittens card game - 3
Labyrinth - 6

High scores only because my eldest is competitive and they involve strategy to block others.

My youngest loved and still secretly loves Payday
Both love Pictionary (it has a child's option as well as adult)

Florabella Sun 29-Oct-17 21:48:40

I bought Beat the Parents today and we all really enjoyed it. Ticket to Ride is another favourite along with Cleudo (and Monopoly, but that takes too long to play!)

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 30-Oct-17 10:46:25

My current favourites are Dobble, Pass the Pigs and Monopoly Deal. All quite short, not too much to set up and lots of fun smile

FoofFighter Mon 30-Oct-17 10:47:18

Dobble a thousand times over

GherkinSnatch Mon 30-Oct-17 11:36:35

Dobble here too. My DS (5 in Jan) can play the regular version, and DD(2) likes shouting out the things she can see on the cards. We're getting him it for Christmas because normally he can only play it when my sister is around.

Jungle Speed is good, though it takes a while to get the hang of the rules/card patterns. I'd say it's quite likely to cause fallings out though - my brother rugby tackled me one year to get to the totem before I did shock

NHSparent Mon 30-Oct-17 11:38:46

Mine are 12 and 10 and our favourite by far is ticket to ride. Its had a lot of outings. They also like exploding kittens but DH and I are not as keen.

Going for pandemic this year..

BettysCandle Mon 30-Oct-17 16:26:41

@70isaLimitNotaTarget i've just ordered christmas dominos from Amazon thanks to you!

Another vote for Carcassone. DW and I love it, we're going to teach the 7 year old this year.

mamabluestar Tue 31-Oct-17 06:32:31

We have a range of games and Uno Blast is a current favourite. Everyone has to stop what thete doing for a round or 4 with DS (6).

Ive been looking at what games to get DS and DD (9) for Christmas. I have been considering family trivial pursuit, 5 second rule junior and cludo but Ive not closely looked at the reviews

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now