Talk

Advanced search

I've broken the ipad. DS loved it. Is there a very cheap alternative to get him?

(42 Posts)
delilabell Sat 28-Oct-17 17:26:50

Ds (5)is on autistic spectrum. He uses the ipad to calm himself if hes stressed as he can wear his headphones and block things out.
He has iplayer, netflix and some lego games on it.
I'm totally clueless but I've also completely broken the ipad. Can kindles etc be used for this?
I was thinking around £40 for a replacement. Is it at all possible?

BritInUS1 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:29:13

Is there no way of fixing the ipad?

SayNoToCarrots Sat 28-Oct-17 17:31:03

Argos has tablets starting from £49 - they are on Android so should be able to do the things you ask about, but I imagine the quality compared to an ipa would be fairly low

LIZS Sat 28-Oct-17 17:33:23

Kindle fire should be available in your price range, you can get a kids' version, especially if you can wait for pre Christmas offer days.

Sirzy Sat 28-Oct-17 17:33:48

Have you heard of the charity family fund? If not worth looking into as they provided an iPad for autistic ds this year

Yeeeha Sat 28-Oct-17 17:37:36

Explain what is wrong with the iPad and we might be able to help.

I fix them as part of my job

ijustwannadance Sat 28-Oct-17 17:38:54

They usually do the kindle fire for £10 off around black friday.

DD's acer was £70 in tesco. Does the job.

A1Sharon Sat 28-Oct-17 17:40:03

We had an old ipad mini that my youngest used until it died. We bought him a Kindle fire last Christmas-think it was on offer for £30.
Its fine for him, he is 5yo and loved Dantdm and Pat & Jen all yakking about minecraft.
But no way is it anywhere near as good as an ipad. No where near. It is a bit glitch and quite slow already.
Could people help you out towards an ipad for Christmas?

delilabell Sat 28-Oct-17 17:41:04

Thanks everyone.
I've just looked at family fund sirzy but the only thing we get is dla. Money is just tight as we're moving house (as ds and dd sharing is just not working)

I stood on it and cracked all the bottom but it still worked and then suddenly it went off and refused to come on again even being charged etc

SpinnerDryer Sat 28-Oct-17 17:42:56

Kids kindle fires are £79 at the mo.

longestlurkerever Sat 28-Oct-17 17:45:43

My kids have Kindle fires and they do most of what you say but I haven't tried Netflix

longestlurkerever Sat 28-Oct-17 17:46:13

I didn't get the kids' ones as the adult one was much cheaper

SpinnerDryer Sat 28-Oct-17 17:48:38

I know this sounds silly but if you get an adult version, where do you get the kids games from?

People on the reviews say - my kids spend hours on it.

Doing what? Im useless with technolgy.

Herschellmum Sat 28-Oct-17 17:48:49

You can do all of that on various other tablets, £40 should get you something or near enough.

However, look into a repair, ask your friends on Facebook etc. Maybe someone has done it before or knows someone. Groupon have deals for replacement screens. Seems sad to throw away an iPad that could be repaired.

I have 2 with asd and all mine a e iPads, we stick with Apple as have own account so don’t have to repay for apps.

Fairylea Sat 28-Oct-17 17:53:39

Kindle fire £40 ish is fine. Honestly. Ds aged 5 had autism and had an iPad, fire and a LeapPad (!- don’t ask, lots of presents etc) and he goes for the Kindle more than anything else! He loves the layout and the games and it’s easy to work. Brilliant value for money. Plus if it breaks within the year Amazon will just send you out a new one delivered the next day (with a free returns for the old one- this happened to us when ds stood on his once! Other than that it’s bombproof- we just got a squishy case for it).

Fairylea Sat 28-Oct-17 17:53:50

Has not had autism obviously!

longestlurkerever Sat 28-Oct-17 18:49:23

I download games from the Amazon app store. Mostly free ones

SpinnerDryer Sat 28-Oct-17 19:07:43

Thank you. I only use Amazon about once a year for a cat scratch thing. I will have to use it more if DD gets a kindle.

PricillaQueenOfTheDesert Sat 28-Oct-17 19:15:09

Tesco have some very cheap tablets under £40. I had a kindle before my iPad, a kindle will do pretty much all the same as in games, YouTube, I player etc. And I think they are around £40

MongerTruffle Sat 28-Oct-17 19:17:54

There are some cheap used iPads on eBay (example). They might not run the latest version of iOS but they'll do the job.

Scoleah Sat 28-Oct-17 19:18:18

Get the amazon fire!
It’s around £30-£40
It’s brilliant, my DD has it an it’s fab!

MongerTruffle Sat 28-Oct-17 19:18:39

Please ignore the link I gave (the screen is clearly smashed).

confusedandemployed Sat 28-Oct-17 19:19:27

I got a basic kindle fire for dd last year on black Friday for £30. Bargain.

Floralnomad Sat 28-Oct-17 19:22:33

I wouldn't buy an older type iPad 2nd hand , all 3 of our older ones have stopped being usable in the last year . What sort of excess do you have on your home insurance , would it be worth a claim ?

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sat 28-Oct-17 19:25:34

Another vote for an Amazon Fire, they're £30-40 and will do all the things you mentioned in your OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now