Talk

Advanced search

Hosting for the first time - turkey options?

(8 Posts)
HairyMaclary Fri 27-Oct-17 16:40:34

I'm hosting for the first time this year, can't believe I'm nearly 40 and not done it yet! We'll have 9 or 10 for the meal, two of whom are veggies. I've got the veggie option sorted but I've only ever been at Christmases where there was a whole turkey roasted. We've only got everyone for the day and we don't really like leftover turkey so I'm wondering what other options there are.

I hear about turkey crowns, what are they? Would they be easier than a full turkey? If I go for a whole bird what size do I need? Are there any other options? Also - butchers or supermarket? is there a difference? My mum spends a fortune at the butchers when she hosts but she knows and trusts them. I don't know any of the ones near me!

Ricekrispie22 Fri 27-Oct-17 17:21:47

We've had this in the past and it's perfect for our family. christmasfood.marksandspencer.com/british-free-range-turkey-breast/p/p21056033

Ricekrispie22 Fri 27-Oct-17 17:24:34

I'm thinking of getting a turkey breast from Waitrose instead though this year because it's cheaper and they do different options such as bacon wrapped and with/without stuffing.

Jasminedes Fri 27-Oct-17 17:41:51

I do a turkey crown for 6, its plenty if you do lots of sausages in bacon as well, and of course all the trimmings. Just get a larger one. You can have a look early in the supermarket frozen sections to scout out what will work for you. I have honestly spent a fortune at the farm shop or butchers for whole turkey or rolled breasts before, but the turkey crown is all the best bit and none of the fiddly bits. And kind of looks like a decent joint. And a frozen aldi or tesco one saves a fortune.

Jasminedes Fri 27-Oct-17 17:42:21

I also did a large salmon along with it one year, yum.

HeadlessHorsemad Fri 27-Oct-17 18:11:57

If you can hold your nerve, get to M&S about half an hour before they close - you'll get some right bargains.

Turkey's reduced to about £8! shock

HairyMaclary Fri 27-Oct-17 19:30:52

Lots io ideas, thanks. Don’t think I could hold my nerve until xmas eve, I’d be a wreck!

I’ll look at Waitrose too for their turkey breasts. While I love salmon, I’m the only one that does so will
have to pass on that one!

Floralnomad Fri 27-Oct-17 19:37:35

My mum always hosts and we've tried most thing she over the years but we have now settled on a large turkey crown from Morrisons ( best range available) and we also have gammon as a choice as a few of us don't really like turkey ( I like it in sandwiches) . We always have salmon ,crab or prawn starters ( choice of) so don't have a fish main option .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now