Talk

Advanced search

Is this too boring as present for DC? Bedroom things

(40 Posts)
WhatAPunch Fri 27-Oct-17 13:55:31

DC bedrooms are quite colourful, nice pictures and big rugs. Bedding includes dinosaurs, robots, etc. Depends on what's clean. So nice but not themed.

I had the idea of adding to their rooms as a Xmas present. I've a feeling they may stay with ex Xmas Eve so it'd be a nice project for me that night.

But absolutely everything was new last year including furniture so still all looks fresh. Seems wasteful to buy new duvet sets.

I could add new bits, eg lava lamps, bookcases (needed) with new books, maybe bean bags. But will that seem overly practical? Will that be dull to children?

Does it need to be "wow" as a present? I know new marvel themed rooms would make them go wow!

LostMyRubySlippers Fri 27-Oct-17 14:07:23

Have you looked for ideas on Pinterest? There might be things you can do to the existing furniture to marvel-ify it!
What about getting superhero throws & cushions rather than new bedding? And some sort of stickers for the walls.
I searched superhero bedroom ideas on Pinterest & lots of things came up

WhatAPunch Fri 27-Oct-17 14:20:45

Great suggestion. There are loads of ideas on Pinterest. Thanks!

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 27-Oct-17 14:32:30

I'm sure they'd love that. My DSs would have and one year DS got his bedroom done for his birthday as that's all he could think of. He actually wanted it to be made bigger but that wasn't happening! smile

singadream Fri 27-Oct-17 23:46:00

How about bookshelf that you put on as a surprise and then the things to go on it - lamps, jewellery box, books etc are all wrapped and on the shelves so they have to unwrap everything to see what it is?

Annwithnoe Sat 28-Oct-17 08:03:40

I would think that unwrapping is a big part of what makes something a present. If you just do up the room yourself I could imagine me as a child thinking "wow it's great now where's my present?"
But if I unwrapped each part and then got to decide where to stick up the wall decal, etc it would feel more like a gift iyswim

hugoagogo Sat 28-Oct-17 08:06:55

How old are they? If they are very little and likely to get lots of toys from other people, then it might be ok.
Still, my first thought was- dull.

Babababababybel23 Sat 28-Oct-17 08:15:21

There is a great video I have seen on how to cover your chest of drawers with marvel comic book pages and it looks amazing. It should be on YouTube but if not Pinterest have it and it will probably work on wardrobes too. I will be doing a girly themed one once my dd gets older

WhatAPunch Sat 28-Oct-17 08:23:43

4 and 8.

ExPIL usually spend a couple of hundred on them on toys so lots to unwrap. Ex is I think getting Nintendo DSs. (We might split the cost of these.)

I'll have a think thanks.

ShatnersBalloonFromPennywise Sat 28-Oct-17 08:32:41

I was given a desk for my bedroom one Christmas, and was deeply disappointed. It was so completely dull, and not something I'd flagged up as a want or need. I actually lied to people about what I'd been given because I thought it was too boring to possibly be a Christmas present blush. I would have been about 8 then I think.

Things like bookcases aren't a treat. They're like school uniform ie dutifully bought as and when they're needed. Besides, you're better waiting for the sale to buy furniture if it's needed.

WhatAPunch Sat 28-Oct-17 08:48:04

Oh dear Shatners. Yes I can see a desk or bookcase aren't very fun!

Would a retro superhero decorated desk have been more exciting?! (hopeful grin)

hugoagogo Sat 28-Oct-17 09:10:08

It sort of sounds like you want to redecorate, but can't justify it as it's not long since it was let done. Now you have hit on the idea of doing it for Christmas!?

I totally get it I remember hoping desperately for our microwave to conk out so I could buy a new shiny one. ( it took yearsthlsad)

BikeRunSki Sat 28-Oct-17 09:15:07

Dd was 6 a couple of weeks ago and she asked for bedroom things. New wall stickers, curtains, lampshade, pin board and clock have “grownup ified” her baby bedroom.

WhatAPunch Sat 28-Oct-17 09:18:19

Maybe!

I was also trying to think of an alternative as seems unnecessary to buy toys when they will get lots. And also anything I get looks a bit crap compared to what PIL buy them.

I guess they don't need much from me but I'd like to come up with something fun - as much for my own enjoyment of Christmas!

I need to keep thinking...

TractorTedTed Sat 28-Oct-17 09:19:06

I guess it depends on your children. Like Shatners I was also given a desk one year. I was 8 and was absolutely thrilled with it!

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 28-Oct-17 10:14:02

Is there room for a pop up tent OP? My boys would have loved something like that made into a "gang hut" with cushions, comics, lamp or lights etc.

AppleKatie Sat 28-Oct-17 10:22:05

Some things stand out to me:

You don't want to get them toys because they get enough from pil

Their rooms were done a year ago?

They don't actually need new rooms and whilst they don't need toys either they are surely going to be upset if it appears Father Christmas hasn't bought them any?

AppleKatie Sat 28-Oct-17 10:22:26

Some things stand out to me:

You don't want to get them toys because they get enough from pil

Their rooms were done a year ago?

They don't actually need new rooms and whilst they don't need toys either they are surely going to be upset if it appears Father Christmas hasn't bought them any?

WhatAPunch Sat 28-Oct-17 14:17:53

I think PiL presents will all be santa presents.

While the rooms were kitted out last year it was a new house/new furniture so there aren't loads of extras.

Tempted to stick to bedroom plan similar to posters who have done the accessories. There are some good suggestions. I wouldn't have the money to do it another time. But I'll try make it more exciting so elements are wrapped up.

A den is a great idea but space is tight. Might investigate over the bed type tents. DS2 hasn't spent a single whole night in his bed so it might as well be a den!!

RaeCJ82 Sat 28-Oct-17 14:23:09

I kind of think that decorating children’s rooms is what you should do as a homeowner/parent anyway and it’s a bit mean to treat it as a Christmas present. Bits like books are obviously presents but a bookcase....?

Dailystuck71 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:32:56

Sorry but rooms and furniture and the decoration of are what I provide as a parent. I think mu DS would be gutted but you know your kids best.

WhatAPunch Sat 28-Oct-17 19:15:53

I don't think anything I've written suggests a failing in my duty as a parent (or homeowner?!) My children have a very nice home.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 28-Oct-17 19:20:47

I don't know why people are giving you a hard time OP, you are talking about getting nice things for their bedroom, not buying them a new mattress! hmm

Plenty other threads where people say that the kids have too much and others suggesting getting them new bedding or other stuff for their bedrooms.

RaeCJ82 Sat 28-Oct-17 19:45:39

I didn’t say you were failing in your duty as a homeowner OP. I’m just offering an opinion. I think you mentioned a bookcase and bean bags. I just think they would make boring presents and are things that you should buy for your kids anyway and not as Christmas presents.

whimsical1975 Sat 28-Oct-17 20:21:38

If you want to redo their bedrooms then why don't you sell the existing things in their room that won't work e.g. duvet covers and any unused furniture and use that money to put towards new things? I've just done that for DD and it really lessened the cost...

I may not give a room decor as their gift from me (I think older children might appreciate this more) but it can certainly be part of their Christmas gift! My DC's would have loved a beanbag as a gift and you can wrap books up for the new bookcase (assuming they enjoy books!)... then maybe just do a couple of other gifts that have nothing to do with their rooms

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: