Talk

Advanced search

Christmas present daughter wants an expensive doll

(45 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

nattygk Thu 26-Oct-17 20:32:34

I'm wanting people's opinions on this. The other day I asked my 10 years old daughter what she would like for Christmas, she replied that she would like this American girl doll I thought ok I'll have a look on line and I'm shocked to see there over £100. The thing is my daughter is going to be 11 in January so is there any point on getting her this doll or do I ask if there is anything else she would like instead any advice would be much appreciated

wobblywonderwoman Thu 26-Oct-17 20:39:40

100 is steep for a doll. Are there any 'versions' of it in s cheaper price bracket (not much help- sorry)

LouMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Oct-17 20:46:50

Hi there OP. We hope you don't mind us bobbing onto your thread like this. It was reported to us and we suspect you meant to post it in another topic, rather than site stuff.

We're going to move it into the Christmas topic now where it should get a better response. All the best - hope you get some useful advice!

Ttbb Thu 26-Oct-17 20:48:13

She's not going to be playing with dolls much longer. Maybe ask her for a list of ten things and then pick what you think will be most useful.

OrchidShmorchid Thu 26-Oct-17 20:51:35

My dd wanted an American Doll, she got a My Generation doll and has never once complained. It helps that a lot of the you tube videos about American dolls use a lot of the My Generation dolls clothing, so my dd recognised the brand.

Tottyandmarchpane1 Thu 26-Oct-17 20:51:55

Look at the our generation dolls - v similar and cheaper!

Tottyandmarchpane1 Thu 26-Oct-17 20:52:15

Cross post!

nattygk Thu 26-Oct-17 21:08:16

Thanks for the other recommendations on the generation doll I'll have a look at them thank you

Toomanycats99 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:19:44

My daughters wanted one of those- they got the design a friend version from Argos! You ca get plenty of clothes / shoes etc as well for it.

Toomanycats99 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:20:48

My dd is coming up 10.5 and she got for her 10th birthday. For some reason she seems to be having a doll phase as well which I didn’t expect at her age.

Cavender Thu 26-Oct-17 21:24:55

We live in the USA and several of DD’s friends have American Girl dolls. DD has the Walmart version. grin which one tenth of the price. There is very little difference between the two.

There are several different brands featuring similar dolls, just search for 18 inch doll.

numbmum83 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:27:05

My daughter is 11 in April and I'm under strict instructions NO DOLLS !

Part of me would say buy her it and enjoy the time of her being into dolls but then I can't imagine she will be play with her for very long .

Could you ask her for an alternative ?

GraciesMansion Thu 26-Oct-17 21:27:53

My dd 9 has an American Girl doll and really loves it. If I knew anyone who was going to the US this year she would be getting another. If you can afford it I would buy her one.

WreckTangled Thu 26-Oct-17 21:27:56

Do children get back into dolls? Dd is 7 and hasn’t so much as looked at a doll for the last couple of years which is really sad! I was playing with barbies until I was 10!

Firenight Thu 26-Oct-17 21:31:05

I had a new doll when I was 11, so it’s definitely not too old. I had younger siblings which gave me a good excuse to play with younger toys as long as I wanted.

That doll is much loved now by my daughter so absolutely worth it.

INeedNewShoes Thu 26-Oct-17 21:33:32

My niece has an American girl doll. It's gorgeous and has brought her lots of joy over the years! She's 16 now and the doll is one of three treasured toys she still has.

TryingtobePrepared Thu 26-Oct-17 21:48:05

Asda do an 18 inch doll range "my sweet family" am seriously considering this for dd1 6 who wants a girl doll but is clueless on brands there's a vet play set for £30 reduced from £45 direct.asda.com/george/toys-character/dolls-playsets/my-sweet-family-blonde-vet-playset/050212610,default,pd.html?cgid=D30M1G1C8

Toomanycats99 Thu 26-Oct-17 22:18:24

@WreckTangled

My older dd was never into dolls like that only barbies. However she has had a barbie revival and also strayed with these dolls. I think it’s down to graces world / room YouTube channel!

lottieandmia22 Fri 27-Oct-17 05:55:36

My dds have some AG Dolls. I must say that they are really beautiful dolls - above and beyond any Our Generation doll. I think if she was 6 Our Generation would be ok. At 10 I think your dd is old enough to look after and treasure an American girl doll. They also sell extremely well on eBay, should your dd tire of it. And retired dolls sell for more than the original purchase price. HTH

glenthebattleostrich Fri 27-Oct-17 06:00:36

Smyth's toys have a discount on this weekend if you Google for codes. It's £6 off a £50 spend and £12 off £100. Ends on Tue.

And yes, my 7 year old informed me she would like an American girl bit in England we have to have our generation apparently!

My friends daughter has the design a friend from Argos and she loves those.

I have also bought the Asda one and it is a lovely set for the price but in no way comparable to the our generation / American girl in quality. Will attach a picture of you like.

IroningMountain Fri 27-Oct-17 07:28:11

American Girl dolls look like chipmunks imvho. OG much nicer. My dd had Gotz dolls( Hannah and Happy Kidz but we had some OG accessories and furniture. Good quality. I think AG is massively overhyped.Look on Petalina,loads of OG and other brands.

lottieandmia22 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:20:58

They don’t look like chipmunks up close. The web pictures don’t do them justice. They are beautiful imo and the hair is the best quality I’ve seen on a doll.

There is another doll by a company called Bonnie& Pearl and those dolls are also lovely and more easily available in the U.K. without paying taxes.

dontquotemeondailymail Fri 27-Oct-17 09:39:47

You could do a kind of Aldi (or is it Lidl??) response...

You can have this expensive doll, on its own.

Or, you could have this cheaper doll which is still a really good doll, plus this other thing, and this other thing... etc!

Aderyn17 Fri 27-Oct-17 17:22:16

My dd has an AG doll, a 'design a friend' one from Argos and an Our Generation one. There's honestly not much to choose between them in terms of quality imo. I think the Argos ones are prettier than the Our Generation ones and very good value for money.

Aderyn17 Fri 27-Oct-17 17:26:14

You might struggle to get an AG doll in the UK - I think you'd be ordering from America and it will cost a lot. I blame those bloody youtube videos which kids seem to be obsessed with, of kids filming themselves in toy shops! Honestly if you've seen one bloody Claire's accessories, you've seen them all, even if it's in America!
Sorry, rant over smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: