Talk

Advanced search

A toy that's the same for a 2 and an 8 year old?

(19 Posts)
Neverwasapancakegi7l Tue 24-Oct-17 11:36:16

My daughter will be 2 over Christmas and my son will be 8 and a half. My daughter - although perhaps not so much my son - loves to have things the same as her brother. They are the things she values most!
I was hoping to find a small gift - perhaps even for stockings - that could be the same or very similar but I don't know what. Neither of them are particularly bothered about soft toys. Currently my daughter is carrying around a bouncy ball that her brother has in a different colour cheerfully saying 'X's is purple ball, my is pink ball'

Any ideas? I'm stumped because of the age range.

Knusper Tue 24-Oct-17 11:38:23

Slinky spring that goes down the stairs
Pens/paints
Sticker book (Usborne do good ones)

TieGrr Tue 24-Oct-17 11:39:40

Small Lego set for him, Duplo for her?

GinYummy Tue 24-Oct-17 11:40:31

Kaleidoscope?

WishUponAStar88 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:43:17

Hot water bottle? Bedding? Wellies? Age appropriate jigsaw each?

trixymalixy Tue 24-Oct-17 11:43:52

a toy car or other vehicle?

a blanket each?

the matching matalan pjs?

fucksakefay Tue 24-Oct-17 11:47:46

Mine love those my little pets toys.
I bought them all a little mouse 2 years ago for the 2 yr old, 5 yr old and 8 yr old.

Sgtmajormummy Tue 24-Oct-17 11:48:18

Garden stuff like watering cans and trowels? Matching wellies would be super cute!

peachy94 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:49:18

I've tried matching mine too, I've done flashing bouncy balls, bubbles, slinky, bath toy and bath crayons each for stocking. DS is getting a big scooter DD is getting the 3 in 1 micro, DD duplo DS Lego, happyland versions of DS playmobil

isittheholidaysyet Tue 24-Oct-17 11:49:51

Inflatables (bananas, beach balls, lightsabres, animals, swim rings etc)

Bats, balls, frisbee, water guns, waterbombs.

Pens, paper, playdough, stationary.

Superhero action figures or similar? (Go with what DS likes...batman, Sonic the hedgehog etc and buy DS the one he would prefer and DD another one from the range)

I've done this year after year for 4 kids of varying ages, but my mind has gone blank!
We often bought things which the youngest was unable to use properly, but she just enjoyed having the same as her siblings.

A really successful one was a small remote controlled robot called a zibit. The controller was easy for little fingers. Don't know if you can still get them.

NapQueen Tue 24-Oct-17 11:51:15

Matching christmas eve pjs

Colouring pencils

Cuppaand2biscuits Tue 24-Oct-17 11:53:59

Fingerlings monkey, they are quite difficult to get hold of in the darker colours. I've seen pink and white in Smyths but am hunting for a darker one. Keep stock checking.

CoffeeChocolateWine Tue 24-Oct-17 13:46:45

I try to do a few matching stocking presents each year as well. I have an almost 4 year age gap between my son and younger daughter.successes have been:
Harmonicas or other musical instrument
Novelty flannels
Bubble bath
Slinkies
Somersaulting wind up toy
Notebooks and pencils
Torch
Water bottle
Key rings for school/nursery bags
Magic wands
Brush or comb
Slipper socks

CoffeeChocolateWine Tue 24-Oct-17 13:49:33

Also some kind of card game...your son could have UNO or something and you daughter could have snap!

d270r0 Tue 24-Oct-17 14:15:25

One of those personalised plastic mugs with their names on. I've got them for my 3 year old and 6 year old for stockings this year and they'll get lots of use!

Bluelonerose Tue 24-Oct-17 14:17:15

Books
Lego
Bored games
Have a look in supermarkets for "pocket money" toys hth

Stompythedinosaur Tue 24-Oct-17 14:39:58

I have a situation where i need to get a present for a range if kids between 2 and 9 of both genders - I've got them all robo turtles. Wouk d that work for you?

themumfairy Tue 24-Oct-17 15:06:11

Mine is the same. Mashems/Fashems are great, my ds8 has the batman versions and dd2 has the Thomas or princess ones. Plus it's a surprise which one you get so another bonus

singadream Sat 28-Oct-17 00:04:29

Mugs
Egg cups
Something for the gardener a hulahoop each
Same colour tshirt
Toothbrushes?
Character cushions
Matching pyjamas!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now