Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I don't want to put candied peel in my christmas cake

(9 Posts)
monkeywithacowface Mon 23-Oct-17 13:36:34

So should I put some grated lemon/orange zest instead? If so what sort of quantity?

I hate the texture of candied peel but think it will be lacking something if I don't add something citrus. Am using delia's recipe.

sjd84 Mon 23-Oct-17 15:20:06

I've made this one before, which you can chose what you use, and adds in Orange, lemon and Clementine zest. It is yummy!

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2607642/make-and-mature-christmas-cake

DonkeyOaty Mon 23-Oct-17 15:26:18

Replace with dried cranberries and or apricots (cut small)? The cranberries especially add a touch of sour that should make up for the peels.

monkeywithacowface Mon 23-Oct-17 15:32:55

Thanks guys. I like the idea of cranberries!

4forksake Mon 23-Oct-17 16:08:04

Candied peel is the work of the devil so I just add extra cherries, have tried cranberries but not so keen. I do also add orange & lemon zest. I also make my own mincemeat due to the repulsiveness of the damned stuff & it being in all shop bought mincemeat envy

monkeywithacowface Mon 23-Oct-17 21:42:38

It is indeed the work of the devil. Who the heck wants tangy grit pieces in their cake?

ComeTheFuck0nBridget Mon 23-Oct-17 21:46:28

I have found my people. Who TF likes candied peel?? It's like a practical joke.

Snailo Mon 23-Oct-17 22:10:43

I like it but my mum doesn't, so I puree mine to a paste (in the food processor) and chuck it in. I did get that idea from somewhere - Jo Wheatley maybe?

ladymariner Tue 24-Oct-17 00:37:01

I always use Delia's recipe, and I can't stand candied peel so I just leave it out and add extra cherries. I use grated orange and lemon peel in them, and my cakes have always turned out lovely. (hope I haven't jinxed them, the fruit is soaking in sherry as we speak, ready to make them tomorrow!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now