Talk

Advanced search

Keyboard for 11 year old - which one?

(5 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Mon 23-Oct-17 00:00:54

DD is about grade 1 standard but really good at playing by ear and has started to figure out basic chords for songs she knows and sing along. It's very cute and she practises a lot.

I'm wondering about a keyboard for Christmas that she can keep in her room and use with headphones. She can't play piano in the evening due to younger sibling. It's loud! Also I had a keyboard as a kid and used to love playing around with the different sounds and drumbeats etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Full size keys a must. I was hoping for touch sensitive but didn't realise how much those ones cost! Also some fun things, instruments, being able to record yourself playing etc would be great. Any suggestions gratefully received!

MadamMinacious Sun 29-Oct-17 20:12:38

We bought a Yamaha dgx-230 for the kids. We were lucky got it second hand for a VERY good price on gumtree. It's worth looking for the better ones on there. The beauty of it is that it has a soft touch keyboard, which is the sort of thing you want. Well worth looking for people selling them in your area. The DGX-660 is the newest one and it's big brother, costs a fortune.

I really recommend looking for a good make on gumtree or similar.

OutandIntoday Sun 29-Oct-17 20:14:37

If she is grade 1 you may need to double check with her teacher how many octaves you need- our Yamaha keyboard is one too
short for grade 2 believe.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 29-Oct-17 23:22:52

Thanks, great advice! We'll be keeping the real piano so she'll still be practising mostly on that I imagine.

Finding it super hard to find one with playback - I'm sure my 1980s Bontempi had it so I'm very confused!

tangerino Mon 30-Oct-17 06:27:36

DD has a Yamaha PSR-E363 which is great. One thing to look out for is multitrack recording- really useful for composing (is that what you mean by playback?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now