Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help for ideas for 11 year old please?!

(12 Posts)
llmb Sun 22-Oct-17 19:44:25

11 year old ds has ASD but high functioning. He's very into technology, already has an iPad and have a family laptop but can't afford any tech as I just don't have the money for it. He loves science but have the usual telescopes, microscope etc. Loves mine craft but he already has magazine subscription and the lego but doesn't really play with figures etc.

Money is tight so can't be mega bucks....

user1495020658 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:18:02

Coding book? I just bought my 11 year old one from amazon.

Avebury Sun 22-Oct-17 20:34:29

Hot wires set?

RupertsMum2 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:42:54

My 11 year old ds who has "autistic traits" but no ASD diagnosis as yet (but brothers with ADHD and ASD) has asked for a sketch pad and a table top easel, elastic bands, stationary and pyjamas. He also loves anything to do with coding but already has lots of books on the subject.

Oh2beatsea Sun 22-Oct-17 20:49:59

Amazon dot. Very versatile.

SoftSheen Sun 22-Oct-17 20:51:27

Raspberry Pi

llmb Sun 22-Oct-17 20:53:50

rupert that sounds a very achievable list!

I think I saw hot wires, is that a physics type thing? Amazon dot? Iv seen people talking in here about them and echos. Isn't a dot something you play music etc on?

raspberry pi? What's that?

Avebury Sun 22-Oct-17 23:27:14

Yes hot wires is where you build your own circuits and can make a bulb light up etc.

Myneighboursnorlax Sun 22-Oct-17 23:33:19

Portable power bank? They vary in cost and quality, but I got a basic one today in Poundland, so at the very least could be a stocking filler idea?

llmb Mon 23-Oct-17 07:49:40

Thanks everyone!

myneighbour what would you do with that? Can you tell I'm not good at science stuff? grin

Myneighboursnorlax Mon 23-Oct-17 08:19:04

It's nothing too exciting, just allows you to charge on the go. It's probably more useful for when he's older and you're worried his phone might run out of battery while he's out with friends etc. But it'll work for his iPad, and any other tech that charges via USB. Good for long car journeys, camping holidays, anything where it might not be possible to access a charger otherwise ...

llmb Mon 23-Oct-17 12:10:54

Oh I see! I bought a couple of them for our holiday this year and they didn't work well at all. I think they were tk max about £10 each!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now