Talk

Advanced search

Christmas candles when I don't like spicy smells

(43 Posts)
Fannyfannakerpants Sun 22-Oct-17 17:51:55

My summer candles are running out and I'd like a wintery smells. I really dislike sweet and sickly or spicy smells but my usual floral or cotton/linen is just too summery for winter. Any ideas?

Dobbyandme Sun 22-Oct-17 18:06:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeeFarseer Sun 22-Oct-17 18:08:24

Anything that's described as frosty, wintery, or snowy shouldn't be spicy, I'd have thought.

Partyfops Sun 22-Oct-17 18:08:39

Try white company Cassis, it's delicious and quite wintery.

anothernextsale Sun 22-Oct-17 18:08:41

Try Arcadian Forest by a company called Only and Eve

Lovemusic33 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:09:19

I don't like many of the Christmas candles for the same reason, I do like yankees 'candy cane lane' but they don't seem to have it this year sad.

BeeFarseer Sun 22-Oct-17 18:11:55

Gah, pressed send too soon. I'm with you, I don't like spicy Christmas scents. I have bog standard IKEA vanilla candles when I want candles lit, but for scenting a room I use wax tarts.

What about something chestnut? Or leafy/woody/autumn smells?

TidyDancer Sun 22-Oct-17 18:21:06

My current favourite is a Yankee Candle. It’s called All Is Bright. It’s not spicy at all. It’s a very clean smell, difficult to describe but I love it. It’s in the YC Christmas collection.

PointeShoesAndTutus Sun 22-Oct-17 18:27:45

White company pine is lovely - I hate vanilla/food/spicy scents with a passion but this one smells like Christmas tree forests! Yum!

Ijustlovefood Sun 22-Oct-17 18:30:37

Lincoln Cathedral had some lovely ones in it's shop recently

McTufty Sun 22-Oct-17 18:31:23

I love the M&S frankincense and myrrh range for Christmas!

Fannyfannakerpants Sun 22-Oct-17 18:41:51

Brilliant. Lots to investigate, thank you. I went in to TK Max last week and every single candle was spicy so I thought it was a lost cause.

BriechonCheese Sun 22-Oct-17 18:45:19

I like ones that smell like fire (not fireside treats by Yankee Candle yuck), frosted apple scents, there are some peppermint-ish ones that give me candy cane vibes without sickly sweetness.

I find Homesense/TK Maxx broaden their Christmas candle offerings after Halloween.

mimiasovitch Sun 22-Oct-17 19:05:11

St evil candles do a bay and rosemary one, which I quite happily fill my house with all year round. They do a handwash in the same scent, and I'd bathe in the stuff if I could.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 22-Oct-17 19:05:39

Not spicy but woody would evoke winter.

If you’re making them yourself start with mandarin, cedarwood, sandalwood, and petitgrain.

mimiasovitch Sun 22-Oct-17 19:05:40

St Eval that should be. I'm pretty sure they're not evil. Unlike autocorrect.

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Sun 22-Oct-17 19:12:58

The White Company White Christmas one is quite cottony but also wintery. Their Fir Tree one is nice.

Feu de Bois by Diptyque or anything smoky or bonfire-ish

I am not mad on cinnamon or mulled wine-type scents but these are my winter ones.

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Sun 22-Oct-17 19:15:33

Oh and Noisetier by Diptyque is a lovely woody/green one; not a traditional Christmas scent but very appropriate somehow!

Acopyofacopy Sun 22-Oct-17 19:20:09

Potters Crouch Gold is my absolute favourite. I can’t wait to get it out!

GherkinSnatch Sun 22-Oct-17 19:37:31

I know you said that you're avoiding spicy, but Molton Brown do a candle of my favourite ever hand wash - Frankincense and allspice and it just smells gorgeous. I've never tried their candles though so can't vouch for how good they are. Definitely rate the hand wash though grin

Makemineacabsauv Sun 22-Oct-17 20:48:13

I dislike spicy ones and overly sweet ones like vanilla. However someone bought me Yankee Candle pear and cranberry and it’s gorgeous!

Chimchar Sun 22-Oct-17 21:13:39

Yankee Snow in Love is lovely...clean and crisp.

Talisin Sun 22-Oct-17 21:28:53

Just started a Yankee Candles Home Inspiration one yesterday called Apple Pomegranate. It’s gorgeous, not spicy - a really rich, tangy autumnal sort of smell. Sainsburys are selling it currently.

IroningMountain Sun 22-Oct-17 21:29:33

Sainsbury used to do a lovely one called Christmas Tree. Best Christmas smell ever,don't think they're doing it this year. It's all cinnamon spice shit in stock so far.😨

I use Woodwick Fireside and Woodsmoke during the winter. Love the crackle they make too

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:31:31

Tree ones

To echo ironing woodwick fireside did a beautiful one last year

It managed to convince many visitors that the tree was real

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: