Talk

Advanced search

Having a 'British Christmas'

(73 Posts)
tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 09:53:06

We have family over from America in December and we have having a ‘Christmas Day’ with them on the 15th.
But they have requested a British/English Christmas day experience.
Anyone know of any traditions that are specific to a British Christmas? (Foods, presents, activities etc)

Cinnamoncookie Sun 22-Oct-17 09:55:32

Take them to see a panto, and completely baffle them

LinoleumBlownapart Sun 22-Oct-17 09:55:56

Crackers, mince pies, Christmas pudding...

CountFosco Sun 22-Oct-17 09:56:04

Crackers, Christmas pudding, goose, Christmas cake, mince pies.

Equimum Sun 22-Oct-17 09:56:29

Turkey dinner
Mince pies (v. Difficult to get in US)
Christmas pudding
Christmas crackers (we never found in US)
Decent cheese board - European type cheese is difficult to find and very expensive in the States

DelphiniumBlue Sun 22-Oct-17 09:56:45

Turkey, crackers, charades.

KatnissMellark Sun 22-Oct-17 09:58:27

Queens speech (try YouTube)
Sherry envy
Board games
Muddy walk followed by mince pies while stood round the boot of someone's car

FridgeCut Sun 22-Oct-17 09:58:37

Give them something alcoholic at 8.30 and then continue drinking solidly throughout the day. Find some random uncles to have a row that turns about pushy half way though dinner.

You must serve sprouts, turnips, parsnips, bread sauce and at least three proteins.

BrieAndChilli Sun 22-Oct-17 09:58:44

Just our normal xmas really as Americans have a much more casual xmas day.

Xmas pud, mince pies, pigs in blankets, stuffing, trifle, queens speech (see if you can find a recording of last years?!), stockings,

SavoyCabbage Sun 22-Oct-17 09:59:06

Definitely crackers. Read the jokes, wear the hats.

Full lunch will all the bits. Sprouts. Roast potatoes. Pigs in blanket. I’d even throw in a Yorkshire pudding.

CountFosco Sun 22-Oct-17 09:59:28

Oh yes, pants are great. Took our Thai SIL to one, she loved it!

CountFosco Sun 22-Oct-17 10:00:39

That should read Panto obviously. SIL was aware of pants before she came to the UK for Christmas.

nancy75 Sun 22-Oct-17 10:00:47

Panto is an excellent suggestion from Cinnamoncookie, my DH is Australian, he has never seen anything like Panto before and was totally bemused by it!

VoodooCat Sun 22-Oct-17 10:02:31

Stick on a Bond film and Mary Poppins.

FridgeCut Sun 22-Oct-17 10:07:25

In all seriousness, I like carols from kings on in the morning and then elf or the grinch. I e have Buck's Fizz and Damon and eggs for breakfast. Lunch is at 2pm and after that we go for a walk and look at all the lights in people's houses. Just a twenty minute round the block walk. Supper is sandwiches, always turkey sandwiches and Christmas specials. Morecambe and wise or something equally nostalgic.

We have a game to see who can keep on their cracker hat the longest.

mumonashoestring Sun 22-Oct-17 10:10:32

Trifle! If nothing else baffles them that should do it... Bucks fizz and bacon butties for breakfast, and if you have Christmas cake, offer some mature cheddar or a good sharp Wensleydale to go with it.

tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 10:11:53

@Cinnamoncookie

Panto is an amazing idea, thankyou!

@LinoleumBlownapart @CountFosco @Equimum @DelphiniumBlue @KatnissMellark

Thankyou, will add all to my list.

@FridgeCut

Haha! Yes thankyou.

tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 10:17:20

@BrieAndChilli

Thankyou, I hadnt thought of Stockings.

@SavoyCabbage

Yes thankyou, definately crackers and a yorkshire pudding!

@CountFosco

Haha! Yes we will definately go to a Panto.

@nancy75

Yes! Definately, I'm totally bemused by them also.

@VoodooCat

Good idea! Will definately find a good british film to watch.

BriechonCheese Sun 22-Oct-17 10:21:37

You need to watch The Snowman at some point.

tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 11:54:02

@FridgeCut

Thankyou, Bucks fizz and elf/grinch are a definate!

@mumonashoestring

Yes Thankyou, need to make a trifle and buy some bucks fizz!

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 22-Oct-17 11:56:56

Panto has been a hit with American niece of ours.
Crackers - they don't have them and niece loved ours so much, I'd send some in the years when they didn't come.

Christmas pud, sprig of holly on top, brought to the table flaming nicely, with other lights switched off for effect.
For anyone who's never done it, put hot pud on a plate big enough to contain any overflow, then on a good sized tray. Half brandy and half vodka does it nicely, about a cupful altogether, heated in a small frying pan. If you have gas cooker tilt pan when very hot to catch, pour immediately over pud, call to whoever get lights switched off and proceed ASAP to table.
If you don't have gas cooker, prob. need to light it with a long something or other.

LinoleumBlownapart Sun 22-Oct-17 12:09:09

Mistletoe as well, I think it's only found in Europe. Depends if you want to kiss then though grin. Stockings in the U.S. are far superior to anything in U.K, if anything I would ask them to bring you some over, we bought lovely large knitted style ones for our children in Target when we lived there and as a child I had a beautiful one that my uncle and auntie sent from Canada, it's still going strong.

DontCallMeCharlotte Sun 22-Oct-17 13:37:35

Church?

midnightflowers Sun 22-Oct-17 13:47:05

Make sure you all have an argument over something petty grin

Unicorn81 Sun 22-Oct-17 13:59:29

Playing monopoly with an argument about the rules and everyone storming off in a huff 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: