Talk

Advanced search

Made my cake! Who else?

(148 Posts)
drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Oct-17 19:16:27

Maybe a bit late but followed Mrs beestons xmas cake recipe and it smells great.
Starting to feel like Christmas! 🎄

Glumglowworm Sat 21-Oct-17 19:28:53

Gah no not yet! It keeps being pushed back and probably now will be 1st November sad someone tell me it'll still be delicious?

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 21-Oct-17 19:29:38

I’m making mine on Tuesday - the fruit has been steeping for the last month so it should be alcoholic enough grin

sjd84 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:32:31

I've not made mine yet, I made half recipe last year as just three of us for Christmas, but was still too big. May have to half it again this year.... I like a slice or two but not too many!

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 21-Oct-17 19:53:45

@sjd84 the recipe I use has scaling for different sized cake tins - I can post the proportions if it will help.

MamaOfTwos Sat 21-Oct-17 19:57:23

I made mine in August, an entire bottle of Corvoisier in 2 cakes blushwine

Bearsinmotion Sat 21-Oct-17 19:58:53

Starting mine tomorrow!

sjd84 Sat 21-Oct-17 20:16:12

That'd be really helpful thank you

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 21-Oct-17 21:08:57

I’m attaching photos. The first one is metric measurements and the second is imperial. The third is cooking time. Apologies for the shadows - I can take them again tomorrow in natural light if you can’t see them properly.

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Oct-17 22:04:36

I’m just happy mine so far looks like this , I have a track record for cremating cakes.

clary Sat 21-Oct-17 22:07:12

Oooh on my list for this half term! Always do Delia's recipe as I find it works well

Love all the brown paper and string stuff too smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 21-Oct-17 23:02:50

I made a start fgrin

I found my half bottle of Amarretto (Aldi) and a 2kg bag of sultanas I bought in Costco.
Now soaking lazily in a Lock&Lock box.

What size of cake will this produce ?
I don't use raisins or currants. I'll add glace cherries and some orange/lemon rind when I mix it.
Probably do 2 cakes and leave one plain/one iced+marzipanned.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 21-Oct-17 23:10:15

ooh just checked on Delia......my 2kg fruit will be (roughly) a 10 egg/ 1lb4oz butter recipe.

I have one of those 12" square tins with the divides (they're a bugger to line if you do all the smaller squares hmm )

SpaghettiAlphabetti Sun 22-Oct-17 07:33:27

I'm doing mine this week. I always do it in the October half term with the DCs.

I did Mary Berry last year and it was my best cake to date so I'm sticking with her.

thismeansnothing Sun 22-Oct-17 09:06:45

I've promised DD (5) we can do some baking over half term so think it will be the Xmas cake. But we've got another week of school yet

sjd84 Sun 22-Oct-17 09:08:02

Thank you, that's perfect

Sandycarrots Sun 22-Oct-17 09:11:55

I usually make Jane Asher's last minute cake from preference because I like it so much (although originally, it was because I was always late with it.) It has a lovely flavour! Not so sure this year, because I have the hordes coming and want to get ahead! Need to stop wibbling and decide!

mumonashoestring Sun 22-Oct-17 10:04:43

I'll probably do ours next weekend so the fruit will go in to steep this week if I have time (starting a new job). Having a practice run for some of the other Christmas baking this weekend though in the guise of leaving treats for my current job - Florentines and almond biscotti.

reallybadidea Sun 22-Oct-17 10:21:26

I'm really behind this year. Normally I'd have made mine over the summer holidays along with the Christmas puddings, but I only did the puddings sad

I did a nigella recipe for about 14 years until last year, when I tried Dan Lepard's caramel Christmas cake. It was quite different, but very nice so I think I will do it again. This week if I can assemble all the correct ingredients in the same place and time, things keep getting eaten before I can cook it grin

GherkinSnatch Sun 22-Oct-17 18:31:11

Aah I still need to do mine. This week. Must do it this week.

I'm a Delia fan here. Never goes wrong, and I'll be doing my one load of recipe into 7 mini cakes which are easier to palm off on relatives than one big cake.

I'll need to buy more brandy. I still have half a bottle from last year but it won't be as potent as it was originally...

ShowOfHands Sun 22-Oct-17 18:35:27

I'm teetotal so don't make my cake until just before Christmas. I can't wait!

handsfree Sun 22-Oct-17 18:37:35

Made mine last weekend. I always do Mary berrys rich Christmas cake.
However, I realised to my horror when I took it out of the oven that I hadn’t put he black treacle in shock
Is that likely to affect the taste much??

Yogagirl123 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:44:20

Yes, starting ours tomorrow, not made one for a few years, so the Kenwood Chef is at the ready. I have brought a Waitrose Xmas cake kit so no measuring. Easy peasy! I hope!

Snailo Sun 22-Oct-17 18:53:08

I usually make Mary Berry's cake as well. I use prunes tho - not too keen on raisins. I love making my Christmas cake, it's one of my favourite days of the year. Glum I only ever make mine in Nov and it's fine.

Snailo Sun 22-Oct-17 18:55:09

Handsfree yes that's the one I make - missing out the treacle probably won't make that much difference, when you think of how many other ingredients there are. The Dan Lepard one sounds good - I love his recipes. But I can't desert Mary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now