Talk

Advanced search

Gift for 4 yr old girl: MAGNA-TILES?

(19 Posts)
StevieNicksRhiannon Sat 21-Oct-17 17:50:48

- The "girl" is relevant, only because I've had a couple of people doubt whether she'd be into (my suggestion of) Magna-tiles as much as a 4 yr old boy?
Didn't cross my mind it'd make any difference, but am I missing something?! Can anyone with experience advise?

- Already has masses of Lego/ K'nex etc. from older siblings.

- Would she like Magna-Tiles, do you think? Are the cheaper versions (Picasso, PlayMags etc) just as good, or is the quality superior and worth the extra ££s?

- Our budget is £40 max: only gets (coloured, transparent, which I prefer) Magna-Tiles set of 32 pieces. Would that number provide enough versatility for regular play? I suppose she can always add expansion kits if needed.

Your input welcome. Thanks.

PugwallsSummer Sat 21-Oct-17 18:03:38

My then 4 yr old DD got a 32 piece set of Mag-formers last Christmas. She plays with them often, and can always find plenty of unidentifiable things to build with them.

As we speak there is a mag-former cube pyramid hybrid guinea pig sat on my mantle piece that was built this afternoon.

A good educational toy. Go for it!

W0rriedMum Sat 21-Oct-17 18:07:58

Magnatiles are brilliant. My girls loved them and combined them with all kinds of other toys, e.g. sylvanians, etc.

A brilliant present for a 4 year old girl.

StevieNicksRhiannon Sat 21-Oct-17 18:39:06

Oh, thank you! Am so relieved to hear. smile

I've heard such great things about them, and thought they'd suit this particular little girl down to the ground, but when others weirdly seemed to imply they were more a boy toy, I was a bit taken aback!!

StevieNicksRhiannon Sat 21-Oct-17 18:49:01

Pugwalls,

I've just noticed your DD has Magformers, not Magna-Tiles: would you say it's just as good?

Because Amazon are currently selling a 31 piece Magformer set, which is apparently neon with 7 colour LED light too!
(£39.99, reduced from £44.99).

Decisions, decisions...

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sat 21-Oct-17 18:49:38

My 4yo DD had playmags last Christmas. I haven't tried any other brands so can't compare, but she enjoys them.

Busy77 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:52:20

My 4 yr old girl loves them - we have 100 piece magna tiles set. They get used every day and also by my 1.5 year old son

ownedbySWD Sat 21-Oct-17 18:52:38

My 4yo DD loves gets! so do I

ownedbySWD Sat 21-Oct-17 18:52:56

*hers

slimyslitheryslug Sat 21-Oct-17 18:57:19

We're getting them for our 7 yo DD for Xmas. I'm worried she's a bit old but it will add variety to the Lego/k'nex & marble run she usually plays with when she's not building dens, playing football, practising gymnastics or just on the trampoline. No doubt her activities would horrify many of your friends but it's what she enjoys doing so why does it matter.
Last year's hit present was the John Adams hot wires circuit set. 4yo DS could do the simple circuits quite easily too.

StevieNicksRhiannon Sat 21-Oct-17 19:03:26

This is all such useful feedback and handy for me to quote at the naysayers! Thanks, everyone.

100 pieces must give so much scope, Busy...that's why I was a bit concerned as to whether 30ish tiles would be a bit limiting. But not so, according to views here, so I'll definitely go ahead and get her magnet tiles of whichever brand I like best.

Because I feel it crucial to go and have an experimental play myself at our local toy store, in order to make that final decision, right? wink

StevieNicksRhiannon Sat 21-Oct-17 19:07:23

^ Your DD sounds great, Slimy...I'm totally with you about what each individual child themself enjoys doing is right for that child, not to appease traditionalists.

It is 2017, after all.

frogsoup Sat 21-Oct-17 19:08:32

Our kids (aged 3-10, both sexes) all love them. They are our most used toy after playmobil. I'm planning on buying them more for Xmas, for bigger constructions! The idea of them being a boys toy is moronic nonsense.

StevieNicksRhiannon Sat 21-Oct-17 19:10:48

Exactly my sentiments.

PugwallsSummer Sat 21-Oct-17 19:21:36

I prefer the look of the magnatiles because their closed shapes are more colourful and striking. We only went for the mag-formers because we read that the open shape makes them easier to handle for younger children.

Busy77 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:33:05

Before I got them someone told me magna were the best and others didn't stand the test of time. Ours get a lot of hard wear and they still look as good as new. Even if your children don't like them you will love them....very therapeutic!!!

Equimum Sat 21-Oct-17 19:50:34

We recently had a small 2nd birthday party for DS2 at our house. DS1 got his Magforners out and all five of the bigger children (aged 4.6-8) spent at least half an hour playing with them - and all but one were girls.

DS1 received a set with about 16 tiles (all square and triangle) and two pairs of wheels last christmas. That was plenty to get him going, although he has since received another two sets.

I'd say go for it. I really think it will depend on the child rather than their gender for this one.

wtftodo Sat 21-Oct-17 19:53:18

My 4yr old got magmagic tiles when she was 3 and absolutely loves them. I think it was only about 30pieces - they were cheap on Black Friday, under £20 and definitely under £30 usually

StevieNicksRhiannon Sun 22-Oct-17 15:06:10

Busy,

They're not my children!
Buying for dear friends' kids: their first 'whole family' visit from abroad, hence why I'm not familiar with their current likes/dislikes. Is combined Xmas/bday present, so budget more generous than normal.

(Other than 4 yr old DD apparently "isn't into princessy/ Disney/ glittery stuff, but loves Lego/K'nex", my friend wasn't too helpful with suggestions: "anything you want to get will be loved because it's coming from you". Appreciate friends for thinking that way, but no handy clues for my present-buying!).

I'm sure my friends will find playing with magnetic tiles equally therapeutic, though. smile

Good tip re waiting for Black Friday bargains. Had forgotten them re toys.

Thanks again all...you've been incredibly helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now