Talk

Advanced search

Outdoor Xmas lights and snowflake projectors

(11 Posts)
ohjonsnow Sat 21-Oct-17 16:44:06

Any advice - good ones, bad ones. Cool white or warm white. Connectables or non connectable. Good value stars or figures. Nets or curtains (for large hedges). Our street Xmas does a xmas lights lighting up party and having been grinch like last year I am getting on board this year!

lookingforbaubles Sat 21-Oct-17 20:04:00

i still have a string of 700 out side lights in the cupboard that i gave up trying to untangle from last year !

what worked well were the strings of 200 battery operative out side lights - from The Range- that came with a timer, so they came on for 6 hrs each evening - i put the battery box in 2 plastic food zippy bags and used a plastic clip round the top, they last the whole christmas season!

SweetPeaPods Sun 22-Oct-17 07:40:28

Asda have a few different light projectors in, maybe 5 or 6 they all look good.

Dobbyandme Sun 22-Oct-17 18:04:21

Just stay away from flashy, and particularly flashy-fucking-blue. They catch car mirrors and appear like emergency lights. Very distracting when you're driving! No tips on brands etc though.

ohjonsnow Mon 23-Oct-17 19:45:36

don't worry Dobby - we're a warm white household!

Thanks all. We'll keep an eye out for bargain. We have am massive front hedge so I have a feeling this is not going to be cheap hmm

Dobbyandme Mon 23-Oct-17 20:25:04

Thank you ohjonsnow for not contributing to the fact that on every road I have to doublecheck I'm not going to be an obstacle beween an ambulance and it's emergency before I can turn in grin

It's the only thing I hate about Christmas. Everything else warms my cockles.

ohjonsnow Fri 03-Nov-17 10:59:47

For anyone interested, The Range are doing 500 string Bluetooth lights on sale for £25 (£15 off).

AmIAWeed Mon 06-Nov-17 14:37:31

I adore Christmas lights but I have learnt over many years that buying cheap doesn't pay - I seem to replace them on an annual basis, one year they lasted less than a week and I was seriously miffed taking down and replacing.
I have some connectable festoon and fairy lights from lights4fun that are in the back garden over the patio and they are there year round so I have also invested in more of their fairy lights for Christmas this year.
I don't just use lights, I find during the day it can look quite cold and spot the wires everywhere so I tend to use cheap baubles on the hedge to add a bit of colour throughout the day - pound shops are your friend, keep really basic not patterns just one or two colour baubles.
Have a clear plan before buying anything, think about how you will hang them. I have already started putting lights up on sunny dry days - they just wont get turned on until the 2nd.
Think about the inside lights as well as how these might compliment. We live in a bungalow and I've found the icicle lights along with star lights in windows is OTT as they are so close
Security lights can also ruin lighting slightly so consider turning them off
Also get in early, I hate seeing stuff in shops on display only to find they have sold out FINALLY Pinterest - I blummin adore Pinterest for ideas and often things you can make to cut costs.

AmIAWeed Mon 06-Nov-17 14:41:29

Oh sorry one more thing, walk up and down the street looking at the angle. I noticed we went all out one side and the other was dark, so we used a combination of lights that I begged/borrowed and found in the garage, warm white one side and cool white the other, it made our house look half the size as it appeared to be 2 different houses due to decorations.

ohjonsnow Sun 12-Nov-17 10:21:59

Thanks AmIAWeed, you are obviously into your lights!

AmIAWeed Mon 13-Nov-17 08:11:29

I am somewhat overly invested!!
I have a husband who insists on it all being tasteful....and then there's me eyeing up 6ft nutcrackers with lights on, its a battle of the wills, sadly i'm terrified of ladders so he does manage to veto anything about my 4ft 11 stature!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now